Health Care

A place for discussing news articles, politics and more serious issues.

Health Care

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 am

In the news here is Obama's plan to reform health care and provide health insurance to the unemployed and indigent. I've already had an earful from Bloody Mary on the state of health care in Canada; would any of you in the UK (or other) like to submit your opinion on your own experiences?
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

Re: Health Care

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 am

You should get an NHS. Problem solved.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:43 am

I think that's the direction we're headed. Do you have any comments on your health care providers so far?
McFuck

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:58 am

I think it's scandalous that a nation that is apparently so advanced as the United States does not have an NHS.

"So what are you saying then, only the rich can afford to be unwell?"
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:12 pm

People in this country love to moan about how the NHS is shit but really we are very lucky to have it.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Precisely. On the whole, the NHS is wonderful. Yes, it has its faults, but in the main it is excellent.

It shocks me when I talk to my auntie in the States about health insurance.
The Purveyor

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:58 pm

I would agree that health care should be made available to everyone but then I resent yet another government intrusion into my life. The government is here to serve us, not look after us like a mommy. And don't forget to wear your seat belts!

My biggest worry is that this is going to cost me more in taxes, by forking out money once again to pay for people too lazy to get a job.
McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm

the nhs is fucking wonderful. its saved the lives of millions in the last half century or so, and predominantly, those millions were mostly poor folk who couldnt afford healthcare otherwise. its not without its faults mind, and will need some serious reform to survive aother half century. however, it is im afraid a product of its age. i suspect that if the nhs hadnt been born when it was, in the post war period of austerity, it would never have got off the ground. i cant imagine that any other generation but the one so scarred and battered by two world wars would have had the foresight, the compassion for their fellow human being and the out and out balls to make the nhs work. we should all of us in the uk hang a picture of nye bevan on our walls. he is a largely unsung national hero, who probably saved the lives of more brits than any other politician in history. for it was his idea, his baby, and he banged heads together and twisted arms throughout his whole career to make it come into being. had it never come about, i cant see the mealy mouthed narrow minded politicians of the last 40 odd years ever having the bottle to come up with an idea like the nhs and the strength of will to make it work. whilst we might like to occasionally slate it. residents of the uk are very very fortunate indeed to have been blessed with the health service we have, and should fight tooth and nail to protect it.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm

I once worked at a restaurant, one of the owners was an accountant, one of them was an NHS administrator, between them they could barely pay people a month late and couldn't administrate their way out of a cardboard box. That kind of thing is probably the main problem.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Well said, jeff.

Withwine has a good point too. But that is no reason to axe the NHS. Just get better people in, and a better structure.

One of my concerns is the so called lottery of healthcare: when it is someone's decision who receives treatment for cancer, say, which will run in to the hundreds of thousands. My question is: WHY ARE THE DRUG COMPANIES ALLOWED TO CHARGE SO FUCKING MUCH?
The Purveyor

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:28 am

because they own the fucking patent on that drug for xx years before other drug companies are allowed to copy the formula and make a generic? apparently this is also a bill before our house & senate. I think it's 10-12 years. I know a lot of Americans who will drive to Mexico for prescription drugs, they're cheaper there, and less regulated, but they'll take the chance.
McFuck

Return to News and politics, man