Is Marwood on a bad comedown in scene 1

General chat about the film.

Re: Is Marwood on a bad comedown in scene 1

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:21 am

I saw it and barely remember it.

Also I hear Jude Law is getting crap reviews as the latest Hamlet to trod the boards. :thumbdown:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by HullThespian » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:48 am

Marwood's symptoms correspond with some of the negative aspects of Speed - restlessness, heart palpitations, anxiety, an increase in goal orientatied thoughts and insomnia.

I wouldn't say he's unfamiliar with Marijauna at the end. He readily asks for a toke on the Camberwell Carrot but it appears that (unlike Withnail) he doesn't get any happiness from drugs. Withnail seems to be having a good time getting stoned with Danny and Ed, whereas Marwood reacts badly. Though this may be due to the problems Danny has just laid upon him with the rats and the Landlord.
HullThespian

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 am

Given that he doesn't know what a Camberwell Carrot is beforehand and believes it is impossible to use twelve papers on one joint I would surmise that a. he is familiar with the smoking of joints and b. is unfamiliar with this particular concoction of Danny's. This gives evidence to suggest that he just didn't know quite was was coming from the aforesaid joint.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:41 am

Although I never thought that was a joint at the start... I suppose one could argue that he goes for food as a result of the 'munchies', but then again, assuming he and Withnail have both been on speed for sixty hours and it's wearing off there's a fairly good chance he'd be hungry from that too. Can't remember the exact details, but I'm pretty sure coming down from speed you realise you're completely empty and your stomach is fucked. But then your throat's fucked too from too much booze and eating is incredibly painful. Though thinking of this reminds me that in the last thirty hours I've had little more than a small cheese sandwich.

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by HullThespian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:09 am

Withwine and I wrote:Although I never thought that was a joint at the start... I suppose one could argue that he goes for food as a result of the 'munchies', but then again, assuming he and Withnail have both been on speed for sixty hours and it's wearing off there's a fairly good chance he'd be hungry from that too. Can't remember the exact details, but I'm pretty sure coming down from speed you realise you're completely empty and your stomach is fucked. But then your throat's fucked too from too much booze and eating is incredibly painful. Though thinking of this reminds me that in the last thirty hours I've had little more than a small cheese sandwich.

I assumed he just went for a cup of tea at the cafe (that's all in thats on the table in front of him, except for the newspaper). Nothing like a good cup of tea with liberal sprinklings of milk and sugar after a night(s) of partying!
HullThespian

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:49 am

Ah, I think you're right, I just keep having visions of that egg sandwich... Horrible visions.

I don't think that was the point I wanted to make though. My main point was his apparent familiarity with joints.

Withwine and I

PostPosted by HullThespian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Withwine and I wrote:Ah, I think you're right, I just keep having visions of that egg sandwich... Horrible visions.

I don't think that was the point I wanted to make though. My main point was his apparent familiarity with joints.

No, I see what you mean - I think we've got mixed up. I was trying to say he's familiar with doing weed but not with the C.C.
HullThespian

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Then we are in agreement, I was mainly putting the same case, that he is familiar with weed.

This conversation is starting to remind me of that Blumquist guy in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Withwine and I

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:16 pm

As far as I could tell, the CC was quite new at the time of that scene. Remember that Danny would often come round as they were regular clients of his. I am sure, then, that he would have told them about the CC before. Withnail and Marwood would definitely be regular joint smokers.

Withwine and I wrote:I would surmise that (b) he is unfamiliar with this particular concoction of Danny's. This gives evidence to suggest that he just didn't know quite was was coming from the aforesaid joint.

I think the potency of the drug was more powerful than he anticipated. That does not mean he was not a regular 'toker', as I think you youngsters call it. Plus, as we know from throughout the film, Marwood is given to bouts of anxiety. The drugs wouldn't help. Which is why certain types should lay off them.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by cromity » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:44 am

the simple answer i would say is yes . . .. its very odvious that having been ' awake ' for so long they were on speed or lsd.I should admit ive had plenty of both when i was younger and its very much like a speed comedown to me , the paranoia could be lsd though or the after effects but speed can create horrible hallucinations after 48 hours......I have to say this was one of the keys of the film for me as the first time i saw it and heard they were up so long i knew where they were at headwise and it all made sense from then on in . . . the bit where he says how long they have been awake is one of the keys to understanding just where their heads are at.
cromity

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:41 pm

I was going to say that his panic attack at the beginning of the film is virually identical to the one he has when smoking that massive joint at the end of the film, but some other people already said it ...sort of. I'm guessing they were on a massive speed binge but then Marwood smoked a joint and freaked out. The 'thumbs gone weird' could be caused by the speed come down combined with the marijuana, especially as the pair appear not to have slept for some time.
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Making Time » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Withwine and I wrote:Ah, I think you're right, I just keep having visions of that egg sandwich... Horrible visions.

It's not the egg sandwich that's horrible (so much), it's the disgustingly blackened thumbnail that the proprietor jambed into it to keep it on the plate on the way over to the table.... EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Now I like the odd egg sandwich now and then, but it must be on toast and the egg scrambled. And I'll make it myself!

Fuck; now I'm hungry and we've just run out of eggs!
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 pm

What are we going to do about it?

Withwine and I

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Look 'ere, these eggs are for 'is pot. These eggs are for my pot. What makes you think I should give you eggs for your pot?
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Previous

Return to Withnail and I