Hamlet

Other films, music, TV and books

Hamlet

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 am

Never watched it before, but the RSC with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart was on the BBC. We don't have a plays section here (shock) so I thought I'd write here. 'Tis technically a film. Actually why is this section called 'movies' rather then 'films'?

I thought it was rather good, Polonius is terribly funny in a non PC way, and Hamlet when he's being mad, also quite hilarious. Sad to see Ophelia go, and Horatio was a bit dull, but all in all a rather good play. They did all die at the end, which is somewhat predictable, what with it being a Shakespeare tragedy (was the man not thinking Franchise?) but all in all a good three hours, if you don't laugh at Polonius' asides to the audience, I don't know what's wrong with you.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

Re: Hamlet

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:53 am

I prefer Hamlet 2
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm

I'll watch it and get back to you.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

Re: Hamlet & Wayne's World

PostPosted by Tennyson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am

I'm a bit late joining in a discussion about a film broadcast over Christmas, but I too thought the Tennant 'Hamlet' was outstanding. It was also 100 times better than the really gross Kenneth Branagh version which made me want to kill myself. (It goes on for 4-and-a-half hours, the acting is show-offy and it must have cost a fortune. Money down the drain.) For a couple of weeks after the broadcast, the BBC had enough study tips around the film on-line to get you an A-level in Shakespeare Studies.

Came here by accident. I was looking down the list of films in this part of the Forum to try and see if anyone has posted comments on 'Wayne's World'. I'm told that Ralph Brown's character in 'WW' is a repeat of Danny the Dealer. Is this true? And is that a reason for watching 'WW' or not watching it?
Tennyson

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Not watching it. It's dreadful. As for the 'Danny' character in 'WW2', it reinforces how good a script writer BR is. Stear clear.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

Wayne's World and the Bard

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:41 am

Thank you, Purv. You've just saved me four hours' viewing hell and lethal heart-burn. I'll give the WW films a wide berth.

Yes, the script of 'W&I' is a masterpiece, but script + actors make it truly sublime. Just occurred to me: I wonder what Shakespeare would have done with the idea of two unemployed actors going into the country, forsooth?

(I've always thought REG would make a really frightening Richard III.)
Tennyson

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm not being funny, but I doubt if Shakespeare would have done much better.
The Purveyor

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 am

"How right you are, how right you are!" Your comment would make a good quote on the film poster, wouldn't it?

The film wasn't properly launched, IMHO. I watched the original cinema trailer (on the special edition DVD) and based on that alone, nothing would have induced me to go and see the film. Painful.
Tennyson

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm

If you were 'tuned into' the right sort of media at the time, you would not have missed 'Withnail' in '88. It was very much aimed at counter-culture consumers.

Decades later, people in general have woken up to the quality of the film. Those who are squares (and will always be squares) will never be 'open' to it.
The Purveyor

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:27 pm

I am a square* and I love it. This is part of the mystery of the film.

* Blimey, do people still say "square"? Haven't heard that usage since 1964. I wonder if "Crooked" is going to start monitoring our slang as well as our apostrophes?
Tennyson

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:11 pm

"Cool, Groovy, Hip and Square"
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:54 am

I think now it's NERD
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:04 am

As Dr. Bumquist Would say, I'm one of those cool guys.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:35 pm

crooked got the joke: square was used in the ironic sense. 'Nother words, I must be square to call a square a square.
By mere dint of the fact you are on here, Tennyson, proves you are not a square.

As for a nerd, when it comes to 'Withnail' matters I am a nerd. Which makes me uncool. A nerd could be aware of something that is cool - like me with me 'Withnail And I' - but if they were cool, they would not consume it so obsessively. Hence why I am a nerd - and uncool.

In fact, if you are cool you do not even talk about who or what is cool or uncool. You just are. Cool. However, if you think you are cool and go round commenting on who or what is cool and uncool, you are probably conceited. And uncool.

Can anyone add to this?
The Purveyor

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I wouldn't dare try
McFuck

Next

Return to Other Entertainment