the missing scenes ?

General chat about the film.

the missing scenes ?

PostPosted by Montys Cat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 pm

This has probably been asked on here before but was the original script actually filmed and then scenes edited out. In particular the fencing scene or the garage scene where they take the Jag to be serviced before the trip oop north ?
If these scenes exist why no attempt to restore these scenes and put out a new cut ?
My thumbs have gone weird !
Montys Cat

Re: the missing scenes ?

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:30 am

Considering Bruce had to finance the driving scenes personally I'd be very surprised to hear that any scenes were filmed and then left out of the final cut. That said I have seen a photo of the fencing scene so fuck knows.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 am

Re the fencing scenes, I read somewhere (I think it's in 'Smoking In Bed', the book of interviews with Bruce Robinson) that the fencing scene was filmed, and they even paid a fight choreographer to show the actors some moves, but it was decided that it "didn't work" creatively. No doubt finance was an issue as well. I'd really like to see the rejected film. The still pictures are gorgeous.
Tennyson

PostPosted by oomska » Fri May 07, 2010 6:48 pm

But what message or analogy was B.R trying to achieve or portray with the edited fencing scenes, could it have been a fight of personalities or a dual of who would get the first real acting part or am I barking up the wrong fence completley
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 am

The fencing was simply a tribute to Viv MacKerrell who apparently used to smoke THROUGH his fencing mask, looking like a beehive on fire. (Viv MacKerrell and Bruce Robinson were taught fencing while they were drama students together, presumably in case they were offered any Errol Flynn-type roles.) I don't think there's any thematic point being made - it's just something from BR's autobiography which he thought he'd put in the film.

On the other hand, if there are elaborate conspiracy theories about the lost prints of 'Wicker Man', perhaps we should start one about the lost scenes in 'Withnail'? I DEMAND to have some fencing scenes!
Tennyson

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Montys Cat wrote:If these scenes exist why no attempt to restore these scenes and put out a new cut ?

I demand to have a Director's Cut! :high:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by HE Bates » Mon May 10, 2010 10:30 am

I'm not sure I would want a director's cut. I think the film as it is is very well paced and balanced; I guess if a director's cut can keep that balance though, who am I to complain.

Colder than a gravedigger's ass here. It's not as cold as in the northern hemisphere, of course, but I'm not using any heating. And the house is cold - so I'm muffled and capped.
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue May 11, 2010 3:58 am

cold here last night - patchy frost in May!
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:49 pm

I wouldn't want a director's cut film, but having the cut scenes tacked on as special features on the DVD would be peachy.

Also - I'm kind of ticked off they didn't include the "Withnail and Us" extra feature on the blu-ray version of the dvd. :thumbdown: That was always what I watched right after watching the film, only now I'm too lazy to take out the blu-ray (which has MUCH better picture quality and sound you can actually hear) and insert the regular dvd to watch the extras.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Return to Withnail and I