20th anniversary edition

Talk about the DVD and VHS releases, posters and other merchandise related to the film.

20th anniversary edition

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 am

I bought the 20th anniversary edition of the DVD and was a bit underwhelmed. The second disk features a good-ish short film about a pilgrimage to Uncle Monty's cottage. The music CD has Withnail's theme but no other genuine music from the soundtrack (I could be wrong: music's not my thing). Worst of all, DVD 1 doesn't play on any machine known to humanity. I've tried it on PCs, AppleMacs and a DVD+TV combo. This is the disk allegedly containing the film and "commentaries" - not sure what they mean by that, but apparently it's audio only. Weird.
Tennyson

Re: 20th anniversary edition

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:10 pm

It plays fine for me. The commentaries are alternative audio tracks for the film. That means you select one of the commentaries and then watch the film with whoever you selected talking over it, recounting memories of various scenes etc.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Tennyson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for this! I wondered why the "commentaries" were called commentaries (not interviews) and why they were listed under audio options. (Duh.) I think I've been in here too long ...
Tennyson

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:27 pm

I thought pretty much all DVDs had commentaries wit them, it's fairly standard. Sit-coms/films where the cast/writers are comedians and they lose track of the fact their commenting and just start being funny are the best. Technical crap from directors about lenses and lighting conditions are the worst. I want anecdotes.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 am

I would have thought people wanting to write/talk about "technical crap" ought to find another film. Much as I love it, 'W&I' isn't particularly original as regards filmic techniques, and I shouldn't think it has much of a place on Film Studies courses. (Are there any Film Studies buffs in this Forum or are we all civilians?)
Tennyson

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 pm

I made so many spelling mistakes there, but from the timestamp I should have been sober. How odd.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by HE Bates » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 pm

W00t!

Oh, er, excuse me. I just received as gift the 20th Anniversary Edition. Instant treasured gift! I am so excited.

Now to find the Criterion Collection Edition. Yay!
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

Return to The Merchandise