How did they go on holiday by mistake?

General chat about the film.

How did they go on holiday by mistake?

PostPosted by E. Nygma » Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 pm

It's the only thing I still don't understand about the film. I mean they arranged to go away for a while how was it by mistake. If I wrote it they'd have gone on a massive drink and drug spree then wake up in a cottage without a clue what was going on. I like to think they were out of it when they went and that's why but does anyone know actually know why it was by mistake?
Don't threaten me with a dead fish!
E. Nygma

Re: How did they go on holiday by mistake?

PostPosted by crooked » Fri May 14, 2010 10:46 pm

I think they meant that it was a mistake to go on the holiday. They thought it was a good idea before they went but when they got there they realised that they shouldn't have gone.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by E. Nygma » Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Ah. Of course, now it all makes sense. The no food or heat should have made me realise :lol:
Don't threaten me with a dead fish!
E. Nygma

PostPosted by anniekey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 am

They probably didn't expect it to be so cold and have no electricity.
These aren't accidents! They're throwing themselves into the road, GLADLY! Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness! THROW YOURSELF INTO THE ROAD DARLING, YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CHANCE!
anniekey

PostPosted by jeff wode » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 pm

couple of posh townies thought a visit to the countryside would be all rolling green meadows gentle breezes and jolly red cheeked bumpkins,. instead the were confronted by ghastly mud and oomska, perpetual rain and miserable farmers. i can almost imagine the disgusted look on withnails face when confronted with the delightful odour of well matured cow shit!!
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:14 pm

The "We've gone on holiday by mistake!" is one of the subtler gags of Bruce's finely crafted script.

Everyone knows that you can't go on holiday by mistake*. 'Going on holiday' is something you set out to do. The gag being: they chose to go on holiday, and when they got there (well, Withnail in particular) they realised it was a mistake. It's a bastardisation: hence the killer line.

Bruce says the line usually only gets laughs from English Language students. Most people miss it. I missed it the first few occassions!

*Though I would not be surprised if Withwine begs to differ.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

Return to Withnail and I