BP OIL

A place for discussing news articles, politics and more serious issues.

BP OIL

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 am

I bet if this oil was gushing out of a hole in the CEO's back yard - it would be fixed by now!
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

Re: BP OIL

PostPosted by crooked » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:25 am

In fairness to them, every drop of oil that pisses into the sea is a drop they haven't sold so I imagine they would sort it out if they could.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Still, we can always have nuclear power. Nothing could wrong with that. Could it...?
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:38 am

why don't you ask the good people of the Ukraine? :vampire:
McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 pm

well yes of course it would have been fixed if it were in his back yard. its not the broken pipe that is making it difficult to fix, neither is it the thousands of barrels of oil that is gushing from it. the big problem here is the one mile deep column of water beneath which it sits.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:41 pm

just a thought, but maybe they should stop drilling on the ocean floor until they grow gills?
McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:57 am

problem is, everyone says stop drilling in the deep oceans, but you watch the reactions of the same people when the cost of fuel skyrockets. the world is unfortunately addicted to oil as badly as any crack addict. everyone can give it up,,,,,,,, tomorrow, nobody has a problem, just now, everyone can handle it, as long as theres fuel in the car. the thing we need to do is not just linked to the depth at which the rigs are drilling, it is to fundamentally change societys approach to petrochemicals. a nation full of cars with huge engines churning round with one person in doing sub 10mpg just wont be taken seriously when it claims to be environmentally aware. this whole shitstorm has been whipped up by the media and the politicians incuding obama, cos there are mid term elections on the way, and its nice to have someone to beat with a stick who ticks so many boxes. the politicos in the american system were strangely quiet when an american company called union carbide had a catastrophic plant failure in bhopal india some 25 years ago, 25 thousand people died, but its all ok, cos they werent americans, the compensation promised for the current gulf spill is vastly larger that the u/c compo, despite the huge disparity of casualties, the bhopal plant is still contaminated, has never been cleaned up and the effects of the accident are still being shown in birth defects and high mortaility in children, but cos its miles from mainland usa then its all ok, cos its someone elses problem.
another typically american company no less than coca cola, has been poluting lands in india as well as depleting the water tables near its plant, and selling its toxic industrial waste to farmers as fertiliser, just so they didnt have to pay to dispose of it, but nobody is demanding the sacking of the ceo.
fact is, this whole sorry mess is borne out of the american nations seemingly insatiable greed for cheap oil, and as sad as it all seems seeing the birds and fish floating dead in the sea, there are people out there, myself included, who think that perhaps this disaster is a good thing, and that for all the destruction caused, perhaps its a price worth paying if it makes the american people wake up to the unsustainability of their current oil based economy.
however, i suspect that what will actually happen is that bp in america will be driven into financial bankruptcy by the spill and the governments reaction to it, and all that will happen is that different ways will be dreamed up to extract the oil, rather than weaning themselves off it.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by McFuck » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:54 pm

I hear all this from Washington - about weaning us off foreign oil but I never see any action. And I still see people driving gigantic gas-sucking SUVs and trucks, and it really pisses me off. I can't afford to live near my job as the area is way too expensive, and I can't use public transporation because the trip would take about 5 hours each way. So I try to run errands during my commute and not drive at all on the weekends, but I'm only one person. I don't believe Washington is going to do anything, even Obama has been relatively quiet on the subject. So we're all fucked. :shock:
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:49 pm

McFuck wrote:even Obama

Good one.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

Return to News and politics, man