phone box

General chat about the film.

phone box

PostPosted by Tennyson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 am

As a fairly new member of the forum, I'm surprised there aren't more anoraks on it. (Actually, I seem to be the only one.) As well as lying awake at night worrying about Marwood's medallion, I keep thinking about the phone box scene - my favourite - and wondering if the technology is authentic for 1969 or one of those anachronisms we all like so much, like bar codes on the cans in Withnail's kitchen.

I know in the early 1960s you had to press buttons A and B (as well as putting money in, obviously) before being connected, but I'm not sure if this was still the case in 1969. Does anyone know? OK, yes, I should get out more, sorry ...

PS I've just noticed the word-limit on the left-hand side of this panel, but I can't imagine anyone uploading a 60K post! That's a medium-sized novel.
Tennyson

Re: phone box

PostPosted by crooked » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Tennyson wrote:PS I've just noticed the word-limit on the left-hand side of this panel, but I can't imagine anyone uploading a 60K post! That's a medium-sized novel.

It's actually sixty thousand characters. I must have just held down the 0 key for a while when I set it. I see no need for a limit.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 am

So there are no telephone historians in the Forum? How disappointing. In case anyone thinks I'm dreaming it up, I've just watched the first episode of 'Father Ted' again (the one about the fairground and the spider-baby) and Craggy Island still has public phones with Button A and Button B. So there. I hope someone answers this as I'm contemplating another Anorak Post about the bench in 'W&I'. You have been warned.

Somewhere else in messages is an exchange about an Australian who doesn't understand the film and thinks W & M are just whingeing poms. I lent my DVD to a friend, Posh Mandy, and she returned it in bewilderment commenting that it seems to be about "two lazy boys who don't want to work". She didn't notice that it was funny or that there is any difference between Marwood and Withnail. I don't think she was aware it has a plot, either. I'm staying friends with her for the moment, but she's on probation ...
Tennyson

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:16 pm

W&I - either you get it or you don't. Seems most Americans don't get it either. I'm the last island of beauty in a country coming down from its trip. :lol:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by HE Bates » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:29 pm

McFuck, how right you are.

I once forced two friends to watch it; one was American, the other Teutonic. They couldn't understand why I loved the film. But, it was on VHS and the player probably had dirty heads - the sound was atrocious and there was much straining to hear the dialogue. Remember that? Increasing the volume wouldn't help because the background hiss would increase. Given thus, I did eventually prepare to forgive them.

Generally, do you think also people don't get it because there has now been a huge cultural shift in what people believe films should be, so most people (not everyone!) coming to W&I in the 21st century just have no idea?
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 pm

The reasons I love 'Withnail And I':

the love of language so obviously displayed by the writer;
the character studies;
the pace;
the themes explored;
the independent spirit of the film;
that it cocks a snook at the mainstream (no car chases, explosions, cliched boy-meets-girl, etc);
the scenery;
that it's so damned well English.

In fact, this could very well be a thread in itself, titled 'Why do you love the film?'

So... why do you love the film?
Last edited by The Purveyor on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by bastard behind the eyes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 am

All the above and:
Because there is a jag in it (and I’ve just noticed a Triumph tr4)
They get pissed a lot
Its got country in it
Weirdo characters of which I have met many and yet didn’t know it at the time. Only when you realise how terminally dull most people are (even the weird ones) do you realise how eternally interesting you are yourself ;)
I loved Camden in the 80s – smoky pubs, good bands, scruffy market etc
Good music
Baudelaire like sadness and humour

And loads more stuff I will add later when I can be bothered and when my divorce is over which I intend to initiate tomorrow
There must and shall be aspirin
bastard behind the eyes

PostPosted by HE Bates » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:01 am

Reasons I love it:
All of the above. It is also a beautiful film - rich in its colours (Fuck Lars von Trier), and fascinating in its frame compositions.

And that luncheon of roast lamb.

I also saw it when I was starting to discover what film can really be over and above the b-grade and Charles Bronson action movies I had grown up on (I was a late bloomer). I saw W&I just after I had seen Angelheart, both in mainstream cinemas, although at the 'art' end of the chain's houses. There was also a small but very good and vibrant annual film festival in town, run by an independent cinema owner - no big corporate sponsorship. And this all in a context of continual States of Emergency in the country and cultural boycotts. Cinema was one of the few areas where a rich art could be accessed.

Now there's some sort of film festival ever month, and most of it is tosh. W&I was/is the last island of beauty.
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

PostPosted by oomska » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Why do we love any film, there obviously has to be some visual and emotional attachments making the viewers experience turn a good film into a great film.

For me the simplicity of the plot is vital allowing the dialogue to be entirely its own entity, the use of the english language is a welcome addition even the swearing is done in an acceptable way.

The fact that 50% of the locations are filmed in the lake district my spiritual home and favourite place to play 8) .

The fact that it has no american influences from Follywood, so many films can be so prdictable but on first viewing of this masterpiece, if anyone can remember their first, I remember being so engrossed as not to notice the time.

Great soundtrack, I read somewhere that this is the only fim to feature a Beatles song ( While my guitar gently weeps) influentially George Harrison had a hand in that :thumbup: , apart from all the other Beatles films that is.

The fact that you still find it watchable time after time and continue to see or hear something new, and especially the endless stream of quotes that you can act out in real life situations.

And last of all the way that this piece of cinegraphic genius can bring complete strangers from all parts of the globe closer together, ahhhh. :lol:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 pm

oomska wrote:Why do we love any film, there obviously has to be some visual and emotional attachments making the viewers experience turn a good film into a great film.

For me the simplicity of the plot is vital allowing the dialogue to be entirely its own entity, the use of the english language is a welcome addition even the swearing is done in an acceptable way.

The fact that 50% of the locations are filmed in the lake district my spiritual home and favourite place to play 8) .

The fact that it has no american influences from Follywood, so many films can be so prdictable but on first viewing of this masterpiece, if anyone can remember their first, I remember being so engrossed as not to notice the time.

Great soundtrack, I read somewhere that this is the only fim to feature a Beatles song ( While my guitar gently weeps) influentially George Harrison had a hand in that :thumbup: , apart from all the other Beatles films that is.

The fact that you still find it watchable time after time and continue to see or hear something new, and especially the endless stream of quotes that you can act out in real life situations.

And last of all the way that this piece of cinegraphic genius can bring complete strangers from all parts of the globe closer together, ahhhh. :lol:

How right you are!
Chin Chin Soupy. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:08 am

oomska wrote:

I concur! group hug now!
McFuck

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:16 am

@ Bastard Behind the Eyes: the Triumph TR4 is Bruce Robinson's own car, I think. Yes, I adore Marwood's Jag and the chase at the end should be MUCH longer. It seems to be dancing to the Hendrix track.

Good luck with the divorce, BBTE. Are you going to have a Divorce Party? Very fashionable, I hear.
Tennyson

PostPosted by oomska » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 pm

McFuck wrote:
oomska wrote:

I concur! group hug now!

Yaay if there are hugs going for free I want to be in one, though I tend to hang in there for longer than is necessary :oops:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by McFuck » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:17 pm

copping a quick feel in there, are you? 8)
McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 am

all balls. the reason we all love it is that we stare at its free living hard drinking devil may care characters, and imagine that we are like them. we see withnails wit and education and imagine we are like him, we see marwoods subtlety loyalty and vulnerability and imagine we are like him. we even see ourselves as being as cultured as monty and as cool as danny.
but the truth is, as we all tap tap tap away at our keyboards in the small hours of the darkness. we are instead as lonely and disfunctional as jake, and as worn down by life as parkin!
whilst we all would like to be elegantly wasted on the best wines of the century, we are more likely to end up on a fucking tractor in the rain with a plastic bag to keep us dry.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

Next

Return to Withnail and I