scene in the bedroom: is this the key?

General chat about the film.

scene in the bedroom: is this the key?

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:56 am

What's happened to Crooked? I was tempted to type "Bastard must have died" but if he really has got some horrible lurgy, I'd feel immediately ashamed and would have to type an Ellie-style apology, so I won't.

I've been having a discussion with a friend who likes the film but not as much as I do, and I've developed a theory about why the film is so satisfying.

The big scene of the whole film is the failed seduction in Marwood's bedroom and I think viewers feel equally anxious about both men: you want Marwood to avoid being assaulted AND you want Monty's feelings not to be hurt. That's just what happens. Hooray. Then the evil genius who created the situation is immediately told off. Hooray again. So the middle of the film shows all three getting their just deserts.

Then there's the wonderful mad journey home. (I don't like the police station scene but that's probably me being squeamish.)
Tennyson

Re: scene in the bedroom: is this the key?

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Tennyson wrote:What's happened to Crooked?

Always lurking.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by HE Bates » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Tennyson wrote:The big scene of the whole film is the failed seduction in Marwood's bedroom and I think viewers feel equally anxious about both men: you want Marwood to avoid being assaulted AND you want Monty's feelings not to be hurt. That's just what happens. Hooray. Then the evil genius who created the situation is immediately told off. Hooray again. So the middle of the film shows all three getting their just deserts.

Astute reading; excellent point.
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:04 pm

when you say all three get their just deserts i assume you mean that Marwood gets what he deserves as well, i.e a job? I can't think that Marwood deserves anything bad to happen to him such as a telling off. For that matter Monty doesn't deserve anything terrible.. although he did try to rape Marwood which is quite bad. I guess Monty got away litely with yet more misery about his failure to obtain the relationship he desires ..and Withnail also pilfers his wine cellar.

I like this take on W&I. It's one of the ways i fealt about it but never realised due to so much else going on in the film.
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 pm

It's Withnail (not Marwood) that gets told off, though that's a fairly mild expression to summarise being worken with: "Wake up, you bastard, or I'll burn this bastard bed down." I love that line.

Withnail is an evil vampire. Monty is sad in both senses of the term. Danny is quite capable of looking after himself. It's only Marwood that's vulnerable, and it's a relief when he escapes.

The ending is sobering but just right.

What a flippin' marvellous film this is. I'm going to watch it again now ...
Tennyson

PostPosted by cromity » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:32 am

new here guys so hi :)....

i wondered about a key myself but to be honest maybe its just a combination of 3 great leading actors all in one film + scenary , great evocative music ( which i think is so well matched to the film it in a way empowers it ( try imagining the film with any other music ? and you see what i mean ) - that maybe a large % of the power of this film in itself .

In the end its a combination of many many things , The music to film is as good as it gets , the 3 main roles are all leading roles really in one film...then you have the twists and turns , the drugged up side , the fact many people relate to this comedown , you have the drunkeness , you have the interplay between the 3 characters which is really genius in the way they bounce off each other , you know a film with just uncle monty doing very little would be hillarious...its like each element of the film is from each character to the soundtrack and what music hits you at each stage is just very very good , concentrated down and potent...

Sometimes we just have to accept that music and film on occassion has something magical about it thats pretty hard to define , its the sum total of all its parts in time and space .
cromity

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:35 pm

I've always hated 1960s music, but after falling in love with W&I I love the songs in the film. I still hate all the rest of the 60s shite, but I love the soundtrack to this film - because it's in this film.

I agree - there's a magic to the combination of soundtrack and film that helps to create the overall impact that bowls you over and makes you love the whole.

My favorite song in the soundtrack is Al Bowlly's "Hang Out the Stars in Indiana"... I love the music of the late 30s through 40s. Al Bowlly is on my regular CD rotation (also love his song "Midnight, the Stars and You", which they used for the ballroom scene in "The Shining" - brilliant!).
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Return to Withnail and I