Wikileaks & Freedom of Information

A place for discussing news articles, politics and more serious issues.

Wikileaks & Freedom of Information

PostPosted by Tennyson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 am

Is anyone, like me, completely appalled at what is happening to Julian Assange? Politics is not altogether my thing but I'm in favour of 100% transparency from the Powers That Be and it seems to me this man is just being scapegoated and victimised. Do we have to do EVERYTHING the Americans want us to do (sorry, any Americans reading this)? The sexual assault charges seem particularly unconvincing.

I had a brief experience of Freedom of Information recently when I sent a FOI demand to the BBC over TV Licensing (I don't have a TV) and it turns out they can't f*ck*ng touch you, so this is a small example of how the authorities use threats and misdirection to terrorise the population into being docile. Knowledge is power and they want to keep the power to themselves.

Well done all the students who are demonstrating about tuition fees but I wish they would start campaigning about Assange, too.

Or have I got this all entirely wrong? Perhaps someone will enlighten me.
Tennyson

Re: Wikileaks & Freedom of Information

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm

He is clearly a Muslim terrorist paedophile rapist and he should rot in jail forever!
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm

I agree that it does seem to be a kind of witch hunt, but on the other hand it's irresponsible to put lives in danger by leaking "sensitive" information. So my jury is still out on this one. And I firmly believe that the US should stop meddling in other country's affairs, and I'm an American. We have enough problems of our own here at home.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by oomska » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm

From 2001 to present day statistics for civilian deaths due to the wrongful invasions of both Iraq and afghanistan

161,000 men women and children approximately but could be double, though a lot of deaths were due to the waring factions in Iraq which were let loose when Saddam Hussein was toppled, Saddam did wield a fatal hand but it did keep these tribes apart.

Coalition deaths due to the wrongful invasions of Iraq and afghanghanistan

- 7000 approximately with nearly 50,000 injured

So far no deaths have been attributable to a wikileaks cable release.

The scare mongering that is going on is quite unbelievable, to say that a wikileak can undermine homeland security is nonsense, the truth is invading sovereign countries and destabilising them is more of a threat to homeland security than any wikileak can deliver.

Incidentally the Taliban leaders were invited to the US in 1998 and cordially wined dined and shopped till they dropped with unlimited funds with the premise of allowing the US and more importantly the american oil and gas companies Centgas and Unical to run a pipeline across afghanistan to the Caspian sea, the Taliban refused and the rest will make embarassing history when we wil be witnessing the auctioning off of the oil and gas fields in afghanistan to the highest western bidders.
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

we may never know the absolute truth; seems everyone twists the facts to suit their own agendas.
McFuck

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:05 pm

We need Freedom of Information. So I applaud Wikileaks.

But equally we need information to be released responsibly. If you hold a piece of information which would cause the beginning of a world war, it would not be responsible to release it. However, if you hold a piece of information which exposes the wrongdoings of the great and good - then it should be released. We have to have faith in those who govern us - and faith in those who publish the information. Most of us have lost the former. We need to trust the latter, to be justified in losing our faith. If people are hypocrites they should be exposed as such. The point being: why should they be protected? We demand the truth.

In addition, I think the 'rape' charge is so obviously a smokescreen you can virtually see the men with the matches. But then that would be my position, as I don't trust authority. I am equally disappointed in PayPal's reaction, to stop people donating to Wikileaks. This has tarnished their 'bank of the people' image.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 am

But who decides which information is good and which is bad? I'm not clear about what type of "information" could, on its own, start a world war. Personally I'd like governments worldwide to pay us the compliment of being able to decide for ourselves. Most of my friends are more intelligent and moral than Cameron and Obama put together.

Sorry if this annoys anyone, but I'm LOVING the We Love Julian cyberwars. The 'Today' programme on Radio 4 this morning broadcast an interview with the 22-year-old code-named Coldblood who belongs to a group of hackers called Anonymous. He explained how Operation PayBack works and said people can request a "bot net tool" if they want to join in. I was so excited to hear this on the BBC that I stopped ironing and jumped up and down.

It wasn't you, in disguise, was it, Crooked?
Tennyson

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Certainly not.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

THE TRUTH WILL DESTROY US ALL! BURN HIM!
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by bastard behind the eyes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm slightly for the guy. He may be a bit weird but the rape stuff is all a bit predictable. That'll get 30% of people against him instantly whether he did anything or not. All they need is some other rap to get another 20% against him and he is fried. Wait for it, you heard it here first. No govt can be trusted so the more shit is exposed the better I suppose. Not that I have found anything in the slightest surprising or unpredictable in the leaks so far. Has anyone else?
People are a lot more cynical than they were 30 years ago. Who knows, maybe in another 30 years cynicism will have reached such a peak that we may get a few honest guvnors. I doubt it though because we have failed to paint it black (enough)
There must and shall be aspirin
bastard behind the eyes

PostPosted by HE Bates » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 pm

He's not weird. He's just a geek with strong political convictions.

Here's part 1 of a Swedish (!) documentary (follow links for 3 remaining parts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTfOL9_HBE
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

PostPosted by Tennyson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Thank you, Batesy. Now if anyone nabs me at work for reading this messageboard, I can airily respond that it's much the best outlet for Swedish documentaries.

One thing I'd like to challenge in all the Wikileaks publicity is the repeated claim that "no one can read a quarter of a million documents". Yes they can and some of us (university teachers, barristers, blah blah) HAVE TO for our jobs. You get used to it.

The issue is certainly leading to some diverse views on freedom of information. I heard a senior American politician, speaking on the BBC, imply that Julian Assange doesn't deserve a trial but should be just taken out and shot, "because this is what would happen if he were leaking Chinese or Russian secrets".
Tennyson

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 am

oh, those American politicians :lol:
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:51 am

What's funny is that the people who leak real secrets just get ridiculed.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Anyone watch John Pilger's "The War You Don't See" the other night? Very interesting and pretty disturbing, if maybe a little one-sided, but you know what you're getting with Pilger and in the face of all the propaganda spewed out by the BBC and Sky etc it's easily forgiveable. At the very least you get information you don't regularly get on mainstream news channels. Granted, some of the revelations of bias amongst journalists and pressure to toe a certain line might be old news to some of us but it was still good to hear actual journalists, newsreaders, politicians and soldiers admit what we've always suspected - while they were doing their jobs they were wittingly involved in a concerted effort to deceive the public. And the Wikileaks footage of the journalists and civilians being gunned down from an Apache was sickening. Still, I'm sure their deaths were necessary to protect them from terrorism. Better to die today than self-radicalize tomorrow, after all.
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

Next

Return to News and politics, man