2011: The Year of Withnail

General chat about the film.

2011: The Year of Withnail

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm

It's the 25th anniversary of the film being made so there should be lots of publicity. I've just heard on the grapevine that the author of a new book, 'Withnail and the Romantic Imagination', is being interviewed on BBC Radio Cumbria at 10.00 a.m. on Friday 14th January.

I can't get Radio Cumbria where I live but perhaps a Forum member who can pick it up would listen and let us know whether there's any news about Sleddale Hall ... or anything else.
Tennyson

Re: 2011: The Year of Withnail

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Should be able to listen live on that internet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_cumbria
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for this, Crooked. It was broadcast around 10.40, I think, and the Forum was mentioned several times so perhaps we'll get some new members!

Sleddale Hall was the "hook" the interviewer organised the interview round and the reason the Hall wasn't sold last time, apparently, was because there are problems with access.

The interviewer hasn't seen the film (!!!) so there are still some Withnail virgins out there, 25 years after the film was made. Unbelievable. The author of 'Withnail and the Romantic Imagination' is a university teacher who says the film is as good as Shakespeare. I think we all knew that.
Tennyson

PostPosted by shagsack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:58 pm

If this is still available, I shall rip it and post on youtube. Have ordered my copy, just waiting for it to arrive.
The only program I'm likely to get on is the fucking news.
shagsack

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks, Shagsack. If you're able to put one of those URL thingies on the Forum, that would be brill.

(I'm still IT-challenged. Just asked a youngster in the library what "mojo" and "flash mob" mean. He smiled nervously and walked away.)

Keep your bag UP!
Tennyson

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Here it is for all to listen to:

content/RadioCumbria140111.mp3

It seems that Maisie Robson lurks our forum. Thanks for the plugs.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Quality. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chin Chin Soupy.
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 am

fantastic! so we're all intelectuals now are we? i'll have it!
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 am

I know we've all got DVDs but the film's being broadcast tonight on Channel 4 at ten past midnight, in case you have any friends left who HAVEN'T seen the film and who need badgering.

Any non-intellectuals who read the 'Daily Mail' might like to note that 'W&I' has been selected by that organ as Film of the Week and there's a column about it in today's TV supplement. A competent bit of writing but fairly uncontroversial ... apart from an odd claim by the (female) journalist that Withnail makes the audience feel "maternal" towards him. Really???
Tennyson

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:28 pm

i always fealt a slight frustration on Marwood's part towards Withnail. Not Maternal!
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I took the liberty of finding the original Daily Mail review:

Withnail and I is a sad depiction of British life. In a part of Camden down so rife with alcoholics and drug abusers, and infested with immigrant Irish, that property prices have sunk so low it is being demolished a pair of hoodlums set out to rejuvenate themselves over a weekend in the country. Meeting with the character Withnail's uncle, a raging homosexual and probable depicable kiddy-fiddler, who at least has the decency to live in a nice house, although what all those vegetables are doing to the property prices one dreads to think, and people like him don't deserve to live in such nice houses, get the paedo out! Meeting with him they indulge in debauched and disgusting drinking practices and eventually end up with the key to a dishevelled shed of a house in the vicinity of Penrith, which itself is a rather nice and decent town full of upstanding citizenry, such as the Proprietor and Miss Blennherhasset, upon whose reputations it can be agreed there is not the slightest smear, good intrepid local businesspeople doing their bit for the community and helping keep the property prices afloat. Anyhow, these layabouts infest the cottage of their disgusting lecherous uncle, whose semi-respectable London life is belied by the atrocious conditions of his country house, reflecting the squalid and depraved nature of the man's mind, attempting to make friends with poachers, travelling tinkers and the like, the scum, the scum! Their boozy habits and the uncle's return result in a seething display of the worst of human filth and depravity, sexual, alcoholic and vicious in every sense! At least before they can do much damage the pair return to London, although despite being pulled over by the police for drunken driving without a licence Withnail is not hanged, drawn and quartered as he should be, string him up we say! At one point he wants to get hold of a child! Dirty pervert! Drunken disgusting paedophile! Lock them all up, lock everybody up! They're hurting the property prices! Hang the travellers, burn the perverts!

At this point the author fell into an apoplectic rage, turned blue and did not regain consciousness for several days.
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:03 pm

I can't help but think that the reason this review never actually appeared in the Daily Mail was that the editor would have deemed it far too liberal. In fact the writer was probably fired immediately for his obvious left-wing-communist-liberal-namby-pamby-labour-voting woolliness and probable homosexuality.
Silage Heap

Return to Withnail and I