Working with "Ralph Brown" on a comedy film this summer

Talk about R.E.G, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths and the others here

Should I ask Ralph Brown to sign my Withnail & I book?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes, do it!
80%
No
No votes
Not Sure
20%

Total votes : 5

Working with "Ralph Brown" on a comedy film this summer

PostPosted by jonnysound » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm working on a comedy film this summer 2011. I was in the pub with the director discussing the film when he randomly said he's just casted and confirmed "Ralph Brown" aka: Danny. As I've been working in film for a few years I knew it would only be a matter of time before I would actually work with any of them. I want to get my Withnail & I book "everything you wanted to know but were to drunk to ask" autographed from Ralph. As he wrote the forward for the book in which he jokes about being asked about Withnail & I and I think he hates it. I don't ever ask for autographs from actors but he was in my favourite film. I wondered if anyone on here had ever met him and asked for to sign some Withnail & I merchandise and how he might react to asking him to sign my book. And how I should ask him.
I'm scared xD
jonnysound

Re: Working with "Ralph Brown" on a comedy film this summer

PostPosted by oomska » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:13 pm

You should approach him in a doth your cap type fashion and politely say "autograph" then when Sir Ralph says "ok" then proceed to write your own autograph on a scrap of paper and smilingly hand it to him. Or get him to autograph one of your most favourite body parts :lol:
Sorry Im no help am I :wink:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:47 am

I met Ralph and asked him to sign 'Withnail' material. Admittedly it was at a 'Withnail' event. (I asked him to sign "Law rather appeals to me actually" for a law student friend of mind. He complied!)

So yes, he is approachable. But, with this being work, different rules apply. My advice would be: be respectful, be professional - but above all, don't be a bore.

If you are working with him and you have an opportunity to mix, for God's sake avoid talking about everything but 'Withnail' for most of the start of the project. IF - and only if - you become genuine friends AND if he volunteers the information - let him talk to you about it. You could eventually 'prod' him once, to test for a reaction. But most definitely do not pester him.

I know he is proud of 'Withnail'. But I would imagine he is as bored in equal measure.

In short: go easy.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by jonnysound » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 am

Thanks, yes I'll be professional about the whole thing I will not even mention Withnail and I at all! unless he wants to, that is the best way. I'll just ask him to autograph the book then Ill say to him "I'll never mention the film ever again". Good thing is I'll be working closely with him sound recording him and putting a radio mic on him then ask later.
And Definitely no film quotes xD

Where do you thinks best? At first page or to sign it underneath his forward? I think the forward and save the front for grant and mcgann in the future.
jonnysound

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I think that's the correct approach.

Remember that everyone there is a professional and you are all there to work. Get on with the project because everyone's reputation is at stake. And then, after a few days, as you say, just say something like, "Look I know how this probably happens all the time, and it is a real bore to you, but I am a big fan of the film, I have the book you did the Forward to, would you mind signing it for me...?"

WATCH HIS REACTION CLOSELY!!!

If he doesn't say much - he probably won't want to. Of course if you become friendly with the man - and especially if you get pissed together! - I imagine you will get a bit out of him. If that's the case, come on here and tell us :wink:

I've just looked at the book. I think your choice is either title page or Forward. I'd say title page, because he was a main character and you will be able to add the others later.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

The key thing to remember: you are there to do a job.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Go for it. Like your site.
Chin Chin Soupy. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

Return to The Thespians