early reviews of 'Withnail and I'

General chat about the film.

early reviews of 'Withnail and I'

PostPosted by Tennyson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks to Withwine and I for unearthing an early review of the film from an old copy of 'The Daily Mail'. I reproduce his findings at the bottom of this post. Withwine inspired me to have a rummage in the shed and I found this:

REVIEW FROM FARMER'S WEEKLY, 1987
When some London types motored up to Cumberland last year to make a moving picture, we in the farming community were agog to see the result. I've just watched it in Penrith and it's not an unqualified success.

True, a couple of clueless townies are shown how to shut a gate, and there are two excellent sequences starring a Fordson Super Major - a tractor which this reviewer can heartily recommend as providing sterling service on any farm. But on the downside, livestock is represented only by a chicken, a bull and a few sheep. There are no cows, nor women neither.

I wouldn't be doing my duty as a reviewer if I didn't warn readers in Somerset that there is a graphic and gratuitous scene in which cider is contaminated with ice. I felt physically sick. What is the Censor doing giving this film an 18 certificate?

All in all, a wasted opportunity, with far too much time spent following pointless activities in bedrooms and pubs.

VERDICT: Disappointing except for the tractor.

WITHWINE & I'S POST:

I took the liberty of finding the original Daily Mail review:

Withnail and I is a sad depiction of British life. In a part of Camden down so rife with alcoholics and drug abusers, and infested with immigrant Irish, that property prices have sunk so low it is being demolished a pair of hoodlums set out to rejuvenate themselves over a weekend in the country. Meeting with the character Withnail's uncle, a raging homosexual and probable depicable kiddy-fiddler, who at least has the decency to live in a nice house, although what all those vegetables are doing to the property prices one dreads to think, and people like him don't deserve to live in such nice houses, get the paedo out! Meeting with him they indulge in debauched and disgusting drinking practices and eventually end up with the key to a dishevelled shed of a house in the vicinity of Penrith, which itself is a rather nice and decent town full of upstanding citizenry, such as the Proprietor and Miss Blennherhasset, upon whose reputations it can be agreed there is not the slightest smear, good intrepid local businesspeople doing their bit for the community and helping keep the property prices afloat. Anyhow, these layabouts infest the cottage of their disgusting lecherous uncle, whose semi-respectable London life is belied by the atrocious conditions of his country house, reflecting the squalid and depraved nature of the man's mind, attempting to make friends with poachers, travelling tinkers and the like, the scum, the scum! Their boozy habits and the uncle's return result in a seething display of the worst of human filth and depravity, sexual, alcoholic and vicious in every sense! At least before they can do much damage the pair return to London, although despite being pulled over by the police for drunken driving without a licence Withnail is not hanged, drawn and quartered as he should be, string him up we say! At one point he wants to get hold of a child! Dirty pervert! Drunken disgusting paedophile! Lock them all up, lock everybody up! They're hurting the property prices! Hang the travellers, burn the perverts!

At this point the author fell into an apoplectic rage, turned blue and did not regain consciousness for several days.
Tennyson

Re: early reviews of 'Withnail and I'

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Am i being thick or are these reviews trying to be ironical? I guessed it was invented until the mid nineties. Apparently not.
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Yes, daaaahling, they are spoofs.

Anyone want to have a go at imagining a review in Gay News?!
Tennyson

PostPosted by bastard behind the eyes » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Wot about a schewdunt review from Biggleswade University Schewdunt News
bastard behind the eyes

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 am

That's a brilliant idea! Give me a week or so.

Re students: Did anyone see the deeply sad TV programme yesterday about lack of social mobility in England? I could have cried for all those fat single mums getting "degrees" from the "University" of Wolverhampton and trying to compete with overprivileged twenty-somethings who can afford to live in London and work for nothing. A Withnail review from a Wolverhamptonian would be significantly different from one written from Balliol, one feels.
Tennyson

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:18 pm

lack of social mobility? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 am

Not sure I can interpret the array of smilies, Miss McFuck. Is the phrase "social mobility" not used where you live?

The assumption in England for the last century was that people in the lowest social classes ought to be able to climb up (= mobility) the ladder through education + hard work. Marwood is attempting this in the film, through reading and writing. It used to be possible because of grammar schools that tested kids at age 11, creamed off the clever ones and gave them an education that aped the fee-paying (= "public") schools. For reasons of political ideology, most of these grammar schools were abolished and replaced by comprehensives that take all abilities. The result appears to be that working class kids don't any longer have a hope of competing with the privately-educated "public"-school kids out in the real world. The TV programme made me sad because not all of them have realised this yet.

I get the feeling "class" in America is all about money. It's much more complicated here.
Tennyson

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Much like Australians, Americans have no class.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I haven't given it much thought really. I always thought one worked (and schooled) as much as one wanted to achieve one's desires; the rest turned to crime. :lol: or welfare. :roll:

But then we don't have royalty or any titles here. Maybe that's the difference.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Eh? Almost impossible if the parents were not educated sufficiently. It's not just a case of wanting to succeed, it's 50/50 being driven as well. So all these oafs appearing on Jeremy Kyle for example, their kids have no chance even if they realised there is more to this than huge, plastic bottles of cider and having a big fat gypog wedding! That wedding programme makes me piss! How on earth do these rural types afford such vile functions?
Wrigglesworth

Return to Withnail and I