article about new Withnail book + closure of cinema

General chat about the film.

article about new Withnail book + closure of cinema

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 am

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/features/p ... h=features

I think I've managed for once to do the URL thingy (see above)! The Carlisle News & Star had a centre spread on Tuesday all about 'Withnail and the Romantic Imagination' and the closure of the cinema in Penrith. (They give a different date from what we've been previously advised.)

An interesting article with no mistakes that I can see, except that the second of the two university dons in the piece thinks there is no-one nice in the film. Extraordinary.
Tennyson

Re: article about new Withnail book + closure of cinema

PostPosted by shagsack » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for the link, it's a really nice piece. But no likeable characters? I agree that it's the best British film, along with the legendary Kes.
shagsack

PostPosted by Tennyson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 am

The chappie who found no likeable characters in the film (this still makes me gasp) teaches Film Studies for a living, so perhaps that's the clue.

Are there any Film Studies students on the Forum who can explain this? Does a film have to be shot upside-down with Swedish subtitles before experts are allowed to admire it?
Tennyson

PostPosted by jeff wode » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm

i think you miss read it. what he said was that there are no characters in the film who any of us would go out of our way to befriend in real life. and he is probably right.
jeff wode

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:27 am

Do people go out of their way to befriend people?
Withwine and I

PostPosted by thechristoff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

The so called expert that said there was no likeable characters in the film shouldnt be allowed to teach boiling eggs never mind film studies! :!:
thechristoff

PostPosted by Tennyson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 pm

I agree with the previous message and went to "the other place" (IMDb) to see if there are any other weird claims about the film.

After 90 minutes of clicking and swearing, I managed to access the Withnail messageboard and there are masses of messages, some of them mad and probably written by Film Studies students. My attempt to register with IMDb and add my own comments wasted another half-hour and ultimately failed, so my loyalty to Mr Crooked's Emporium is unabated.

Before I got flung off the IMDb board (and couldn't find my way back again) read an interesting thread about gay-ness in the film. Where do we stand on that topic, gentlemen (and Miss McFuck)?
Tennyson

Return to Withnail and I