Virgin Media Advert

Vent spleen here.

Virgin Media Advert

PostPosted by MrSnappy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm

That prententious Virgin Media advert using the words of "Our House" by Madness....bastards!!
Hope Madness get plenty of royalties for that guff! :evil:
MrSnappy

Re: Virgin Media Advert

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Good idea for a thread, sir - most annoying adverts.

I'm TV-less so fortunately my blood pressure isn't elevated by rubbish adverts on the box but I would like to vent spleen about (some) charity fundraising advertisements in newspapers, particularly Barnardos, which try to extract donations by using guilt: picture of child with bruises accompanied by text suggesting that if you turn the page, you're responsible for the bruises - damned cheek.

Barnardos are also responsible for what must be the doziest fundraising slogan ever, but this is admittedly a very rich field ...!
Tennyson

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:11 pm

The animal versions of the Barnado's ad really get on my pecks. Animals are better than people so i don't like to be reminded of their suffering while i'm watching the Gadget Show. Problem is that every time the adverts are on showing some little kitty left in a box i want to donate a pound, but once you do these people are stalking vultures and will not leave you alone. I do my bit by not mistreating animals which is cheaper than donating :thumbup:
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 pm

I stopped watching tv, mainly because of the ads. Now if I could just wean myself off the radio.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am

I only watch on demand TV and thanks to various techniques that I have picked up over the years I seldom see any adverts.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Clare McGann » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Alas anything with Mister McGann voicing his dulcet tones (which is every other advert) leads me into a horrific frenzy in which I shout "PAUL McGANN" repeatedly at the television until I get a pillow thrown at my face...I imagine that must be quite annoying for everyone around me... :shock:

purple!
Clare McGann

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:03 am

Whenever I hear him doing a voice over I find myself saying ''probably in the bathroom.''
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by MrSnappy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes i'd love one of those magic boxes that evapourates evil advertisers!

I just can't help analysing them though....dam Media Studies!
MrSnappy

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:52 am

Gotcha, Mr Snappy!

I joined this Forum a year ago (Happy Anniversary to me ... nearly) fully expecting the posts to be mainly from Media Studies and Film Studies students/graduates - but you, dear sir, are the first person to own up to such a murky past.

Are there any weird academic journals about cult films in general or W&I in particular? On the one occasion that I managed to work the database at the National Library, the only thesis about cult films I could find ENDED its survey in 1986.

Somebody else must be analysing W&I using all that thought-paralysing jargon that you groovy Media Pundits use ("Why has my head gone numb?") but I can't find any evidence. Is there anything you want to share with us?
Tennyson

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Mrs Wrigglesworth did Media studies for her career as a journo. I'm quite jealous because during the course she studied The Shining in great detail. Have you not read Withnail and the Romantic Imagination?
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by MrSnappy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Wrigglesworth wrote:Mrs Wrigglesworth did Media studies for her career as a journo. I'm quite jealous because during the course she studied The Shining in great detail. Have you not read Withnail and the Romantic Imagination?

No i haven't read that...have to look that up!

I studied Media Studies at school and college....but after working in the business for a while decided it wasn't for me! :wink:
MrSnappy

PostPosted by HE Bates » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:47 am

I taught some Film and Media studies several years back. Taught The Shining (what a marvellous film) as well. But academia was changing fast - it started to celebrate pulp shit, rather than look at it critically. And now those celebrants are in positions of power, perpetrating their under-education and half-assimilated 'ideas' on us. It's a right royal fuck up.
HE Bates

PostPosted by jeff wode » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 am

virgin media is owned by sky anyway. i refuse to let them even knock on my door, getting virgin would be cheaper than my current package, but i refuse to finance even a single penny of the murdoch empire.
jeff wode

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am

I bet your face looks back on its nose days with fond nostalgia.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by jeff wode » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 pm

crooked wrote:I bet your face looks back on its nose days with fond nostalgia.

you think that im cutting off my nose to spite my face? do you honestly think i sit at home on an evening seething with rage that im not watching fucking glee or americas got talent, or moaning cos i cant watch premier league soccer? do me a fucking favour, its a load of bollocks. ok, so your life may be enough of an echoing empty depressing void that you feel the absolute compulsion to have 300 tv shopping sports and pay per view movie channels, but ive got plenty enough to occupy my waking hours thanks. enjoy watching your vaccuous moronic tv imports, ive already enough to do in the real world as it is. ive only got freeview but theres more than i really want, id rather go dig my fucking veg patch than watch most of it. down here on earth we used to go outside the house and do real stuff wioth real people for real pleasure. these days people will get a pizza delivered so they can sit undisturbed and watch a bloke cook a meal????? wtf??
jeff wode

Next

Return to Rants