It's no accident ...

Vent spleen here.

It's no accident ...

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:48 am

... that "banker" rhymes with "wanker".

I seldom swear, either on the Forum or anywhere else, but Barclays Bank have just charged me £30 for being overdrawn by £1.44 for two days. I spent about ten quid on my mobile, arguing with a Liverpudlian in a call centre (the phone number of local branches seems to be top secret) but failed to persuade them of the error of their ways; wrote them a letter (ignored); visited the nearest branch (7 miles away) and got them to promise to look at the problem and ring me back. Still waiting.

As they add a further £30 charge every five days, I suppose I'll have to pay this before I go bankrupt then go through their Complaints process then take them to the Banking Ombudsman. Which is likely to take the rest of this year. Brilliant customer relations, Barclays, you must be proud. :thumbdown:
Tennyson

Re: It's no accident ...

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I feel your pain and your frustration :wine: Better pay the capitalist bastirds before it's bone crunching time and you're hiding under the windowsill from the debt collectors in approximately 6 months time :roll:
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Twice in the past the Halifax have tried to charge me £15 a time because paypal or whatever has taken money out of my account and there's not been enough in there.
And twice I had to ring them up and explained in a sad kind of voice that I was a student and really poor and I was really sorry and it wouldn't happen again.

They let me off. :D

Either give them a sob story so they feel bad and let you off, or just tell them if they don't fix it you'll take all your money out of the bank and close your account, and open one elsewhere. Never fails.
Ellietronic

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 am

I bet this has happened to everyone in the world at least once. Ok, on;y those with bank accounts, but . . . :cry:

Overdraft protection?
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the sympathy and good advice, chaps. I've sorted the problem now - by moving my account to the Walmington-on-Sea branch of Swallow Bank (manager: Mr Mainwaring). Of course it's a fictional bank with a non-existent manager but I still think I'll get better service than with Barclays.

By the way, a friend of mine who's just out of hospital and still using a wheelchair tells me that whenever he mentions he's a wheel-chair user (e.g. when sorting problems out via call centres) everyone falls over themselves to be extra-helpful, they're so terrified of getting bad publicity for persecuting a disabled person.
Tennyson

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:02 pm

ok, you want a fucking rant, i'll give you one. sorry ive absolutely no sympathy at all. the charges were in the banking agreement that you signed when you opened the account. YOU agreed to them, so why fucking moan and whinge when the terms that you agreed to are applied to you. why should i, as a person who hasnt even been overdrawn at the bank in his life, have to subsidise the profligate spending of people who cant live their lives within the simple rules of always spend less than you earn. you dont want to get hit with overdraft charges. well dont piss and whinge at the bank, why not try and not go overdrawn. why should an exception be made for you or me or anyone else. everyone wants the banks, but nobody seems to want to finance them. do you think you should have a free overdraft facility just for you because you cant manage to comply with mister mccawbers simple dictum on spending? when you get stung by the bank, it smarts, and its supposed to, cos if it doesnt, then you wont be discouraged from doing it again. why should you be the exception? we dont have to have bank accounts. theyre something we do ourselves to make our own lives easier, if you dont like the charges, then shut the account and take your debt elsewhere. im not particularly well paid, but i live well within my means, and its made me able to enjoy the life i have free of overdraft, credit card and other loan debt. yes i have a mortgage, which i can afford, and if i defaulted on it, then i would have nobody to blame but myself. so whats your beef? you went overdrawn, the reasons for which arent important, cos its your account, and your overspend. if you get stiffed for going over your limit, then tough titty, learn to spend less in future.
jeff wode

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm

everyone wants the banks

Not me.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:07 pm

McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 pm

crooked wrote:
everyone wants the banks

Not me.

but i bet you still have an account? mortgage? credit card? debit card? any or all of these. as such you have a bank account. you dont need one, but you choose to have one to make your life better. as such, you are making a conscious decision to have a bank account. whilst you might object to the current banking situation, this subject hadnt cropped up here till the last couple of years bank problems. strange how the bankers all bacame wankers when the shit hit the fan, but nobody called them that whilst they wanted a loan to buy an unsustainable property that they shouldnt have got. the banks werent shoveling cash onto a bonfire. they were lending it to the grerat unwashed public. the same public that now conveniently forgets that fact cos its easy to kick the banks.
jeff wode

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:55 am

I am forced by society to have a bank account. The idea that no one disliked the banks before the shit hit the fan is preposterous. It must have been about five years ago that even I realised that the entire global financial system was a fiction, based on the principal of fractional reserve.

It isn't a 'conspiracy theory' that the world is run by a handful of all-powerful families and the light that was shone on the global banking system during the recent orchestrated (near) collapse of the system clearly displays that.

The end of the world as we know it is fast approaching. I don't mean that in a crazy religious person way. I mean that the global elite isn't going to be able to pull their shit for much longer. Either the masses will awake and rise up in a revolution that would make Rik wet his pants or, more likely, they will have to tighten their strangle hold on us, create some sort of global 9/11 and scare us in to total obedience.

In short, kill yourself now while you still have the chance.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:55 am

It is indeed very dark days we are having. I think crooked may be correct.
McFuck

PostPosted by HE Bates » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 am

I'm with Crooked. Shit's starting to boil over in many parts of the world. But, damn, I still don't have enough to get that little small holding somewhere in a mountain next to a little stream. In any case, I will I get tobacco and coffee out there?
HE Bates

PostPosted by oomska » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Well I'm going to sit on the hedge with this one, I would have liked a fence but the bank would not lend me the doh to buy one, baldy fat pen twiddling man said something about wood not growing on trees, though half suspect Jeff must have been an overpowering mill owner type in a previous life ( you are 3 seconds late and Im going to dock your pay, brick up the windows in your house and tax you on that beard that you are growing, cos I dont like your beard).

Todays society insists that you must have a bank account so we do not have a choice in the matter as nobody gets paid cash these days not unless you are in the black economy and I dont mean you have a career as a rapper, basically what jeff is saying if you have money you are ok but if you dont hard shit the all controlling bank are going to overcharge you more money that you have not got. Until people get together and start charging the banks for their fuck ups, maybe then we will get some satisfaction and teach the profit hungry vultures a lesson.

What really pisses me right off is the great private pension rip off and Jeff will agreee on this one, as he has been shafted just like me when the final salary pension that we innocently entererd into closed and was deferred, I dont know of any other agreement that allows financial institutions to ream you in this way without recourse, in my opinion we are all being brainwashed into having these worthless pensions just to bolster the economy as when the time comes to pay you out on retirement you are going to get a nasty shock when you realise, is that all im getting after paying contributions for god knows how long, fuck off pensions, spend it know and enjoy while you can.
Last edited by oomska on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm

ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 am

I'm going to be living in a cardboard box over a subway grate when I retire.
McFuck

Next

Return to Rants