new review of "Withnail and the Romantic Imagination"

Talk about the DVD and VHS releases, posters and other merchandise related to the film.

new review of "Withnail and the Romantic Imagination"

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 pm

This review from GScene Magazine is online but I can't seem to make a "hotlink" to it (sorry, Crooked, I seem to be the dimmest Forum member ever) so here's the text.

Withnail and I , that great cult film, still fascinates and intrigues, twenty years after its first low-key release in the eighties.

I remember the first time I saw this scruffy, rambling slightly mad film and thought it rubbish, and then it squatted in my imagination for ages until I got to see it again.

Second time round it was amazing, it’s like a British ‘Harold and Maud’, the more you see it the more you see. But why is this? Why is this film so loved (and, one must ask by whom or by what)? Maisie Robson, the author is an expert on the film and tenderly dissects it like a corpse on Michelangelo’s autopsy table, not to savage but to expose the astonishing subtle and hidden mechanisms of what makes this film so endlessly fascinating.

Withnail and the Romantic Imagination: a Eulogy examines the film as both a serious work of art and a cultural phenomenon and it does this in a most delightful critical way. It’s like having your very own media lecturer with you discussing various aspects of the films and lifting all the mouldering carpets, pushing opening creaking doors and letting the light of analysis flood this crepuscular film. If this sounds heavy then take my word for it, it’s not, it’s written with love and this allows some of the academic conclusions to be delightfully insightful. 

The central characters - Withnail, Marwood, Monty and Danny - are analysed in detail and related to the career changing performances of actors Richard E Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths and Ralph Brown, as well as to their own cultural hinterland, situated as they are in September 1969 at the end of the greatest decade in the history of mankind. (which was news to be as I thought the film was set in the 80’s). Uncle Monty’s chapter and the dissection of the ‘bedroom scene’ is a lovely tender piece and brought a whole new poignant meaning to what was (up till now) only a cringworthy and funny scene for me. The setting of the film in it's cultural and social space is explained well and with a deft grace.

The author is obviously a huge fan herself and this peek-a-boo look from behind the curtains of a slightly obsessive fan is what gives this book it’s compelling delight. It’s a real curates egg of a book, like the film itself. 

Generations not yet born when Withnail and I was made continue to be recruited into the 'cult' of the film's devotees. There are pilgrimages to the film's central location, a derelict building in Cumbria, where passages from the screenplay are recited and inscribed on the security fencing. Records of these ceremonies are uploaded into cyberspace. Folk know the lines, or roll the ‘carrots’ even if they’ve never seen it.

It’s part of our zeitgeist and author Maisie Robson gives a close reading of the filmic text and screenplay, explaining how the film works its magic and also why the words, music, and visual beauty are all important in the film.

The soundtrack music is explored and celebrated by Steve Rudd, and lovely shots of the Lake District location by Mal Greenley. It’s like having very entertaining film geeks around to show you all your missing.

It’s also a serious academic study of the impact and subtle meaning and subtext of this film, but I enjoyed it mostly for the sheer joy that Robson brings to her writing. 

Withnail and the Romantic Imagination: a Eulogy is for readers interested in critical approaches to popular culture, as well as those hardcore fans, like the book's author, who want to understand the power of this curious film. Will we never be set free?

Great fun and the perfect gift for a Whithnal Fan or for anyone with an interest in popular culture and film.

Out now: £12.00
More info or to buy this book here:
Tennyson

Re: new review of "Withnail and the Romantic Imagination"

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm still working on mine :oops:
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm

And me, still on the first chapter. :oops:
Chin Chin Soupy.
haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:25 pm

crooked wrote:I'm still working on mine :oops:

haveyougotsoup wrote:And me, still on the first chapter. :oops:
Chin Chin Soupy.

That doesn't sound promising. After such a good review, too.
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by shagsack » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:43 am

The book is deserving of such a great review. It's just like the film, it gets better with every viewing/read.
shagsack

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 am

There aren't enough Withnail books. MORE MORE MORE! If I can't read Withnail books, I have to read reviews of Withnail books. Then I go back to the film.

Does anyone, like me, get broody if they go more than a fortnight without seeing the film? Is there any cure (apart from seeing it and surfing the internet for more Withnail books and more reviews of Withnail books)? Help help. Much more of this and I'm going to have to read that awful Colin Bacon book again ...

Perhaps Crooked should introduce a new category of threads, The Withnail Confessional, for really serious anoraks. Normal people who log on could just avoid that category and let the seriously disturbed (who worry about the authenticity of Withnail's phone box and want to know whether the Withnail bench in Regent's Park is still there) just talk to ourselves, harmlessly.
Tennyson

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:50 pm

I liked this book :thumbup:
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Tennyson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:32 pm

An American fan (Heide Hoegl) apparently raves about it. She has a blog about the film which I can't actually open on my computer, but if anyone has a more up-to-date computer than me, you might want to have a look at it:

www.wall-o-withnail.blogspot.com
Tennyson

Return to The Merchandise