Marwood's pendant

General chat about the film.

Marwood's pendant

PostPosted by montyhedgotonewyork » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Does anyone know what Marwood wears on a chain around his neck? I was thinking it may be a st Christopher's medallion which would kind of makes sense being the patron saint of travelers and people who go on holiday by mistake 8)
Also Withnail needn't have been worried they did have soup, there's a can on the shelf behind them in the don't attempt anything without the gloves scene :D
montyhedgotonewyork

Re: Marwood's pendant

PostPosted by Tennyson » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:46 am

I always thought it was a St Christopher's medal as it makes sense of Marwood being on a journey (and he's reading 'Journey's End', as someone has already pointed out in another thread). However, Paul McGann claims on the commentary to the film (20th anniversary edition) that it's a Madonna or Virgin Mary icon, and McGann says this shows Marwood is Catholic. Of course he was there and I wasn't but I really find this unbelievable.

The important thing about the soup can is that it has a bar-code on it and is therefore completely anachronistic for 1969 (like we care).

Welcome to the Forum, by the way! A fellow Withnail Geek! My cup runneth over.
Tennyson

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:08 pm

i also think that the reason he doesnt have soup is because all the pots and pans are in the sink. so he couldnt cook it, hence withnail threatens to do the washing up. coffee just needs the kettle which is always on the stove rather than in the sink!
jeff wode

PostPosted by montyhedgotonewyork » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Yes the Journey's end and the fact it's a road movie would suggest it's more likely to be a St Christopher medal but maybe Paul McGann was wearing the pendant anyway and it wasn't particularly part of the costume, as he is from a roman catholic family. I imagine you are right about the coffee must have been instant then, can't imagine Marwood pulling out a cafetiere did they have instant coffee in 1969? For some reason I imaged people in England only drinking tea back then.
montyhedgotonewyork

Return to Withnail and I