Progress at Sleddale Hall

Post your pics and stories of your visits to the various locations from the film.

Re: Progress at Sleddale Hall

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Cheers Mucka. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by Tim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Whilst the Summer weather holds I've been repointing - picking off the cement and repointing with lime mortar. It's tediously slow (about a square metre per day including mixing the mortar by hand) but, at last, some progress can be seen.

Here's the courtyard elevation - I'm hoping to complete the first floor before Winter but the ground floor will have to wait until 2014. Some of the stone was loose and in areas the pointing has been 3 - 4" deep. I'm not making any attempt to clean the lime run off from the stonework as I shall be limewashing the walls once the repointing is complete.

On the rear elevation, the stonework where the old coldroom window has been blocked has also been repointed.

I mentioned in a previous post that I'm extending the steps and landing leading to the front door and the landing is now complete except for a stone slab to finish it. I've decided that I need to rebuild the steps but the upper step weighs about a third of a ton so I shall have to wait until I've got a few friends visiting to lend a hand.

Internally there hasn't been much progress but I have started fitting 'bead and butt' horizontal boarding in the kitchen.

To finish, a view of the main courtyard frontage.

I will post some images of the film show audience under the topic "Witnail & I to be shown at Sleddale Hall"
Tim

PostPosted by coolyourboots » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:51 pm

All looking Great' thanks for the pictures Tim :thumbup: :wine:
St. Peter preached the epistles to the apostles looking like that"
coolyourboots

PostPosted by McFuck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

alas, there can be no true beauty without decay.

I'd like to volunteer as an apprentice. I can't seem to find a job here in the colonies :oops:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by shagsack » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for the photos, Tim. Tis looking splendid.
The only program I'm likely to get on is the fucking news.
shagsack

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Looking majestic as ever :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very sad news about Henry :cry:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Wow... I've just read through this entire topic... totally blown away by the fabulous renovations, the plethora of great photos from Tim, and the whole thing has made me rather weepy.

Noticed that there have been no more conversations or photos since August of 2013... what happened there?

In any case, Tim, if you're still reading here, I just wanted to say from across the pond that I am so very glad that you got Crow Crag, and that you're so lovingly restoring it. I love old houses, and this one is especially close to my heart because of the magic that was made there by Uncle Monty and his dear boys. I think houses hold memories of the things that have happened in them, and that place has certainly become special in the hearts of Withnail fans everywhere. You're "living the dream" for the rest of us!

I'd love to see what's been done since August... any chance of more photos?
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:39 pm

I wonder if you could get a model Sleddale Hall...
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:59 pm

If by "get" you mean "make", I probably could... but there's no room on the Wall-O-Withnail for it! I'm pretty much down to just finding vintage items from the film at this point. I did a model of the Jag because it's practically a character in the movie. The model of Marwood's tub scene was sort of a fluke... I didn't really mean to do it, it's just that I fell across a dollhouse miniature saveloy and chips and couldn't resist. I do wish I had a miniature naked Marwood to put in the tub, though. Come to think of it, a life-sized version would be better. :twisted:
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Making Time wrote:I do wish I had a miniature naked Marwood to put in the tub, though. Come to think of it, a life-sized version would be better. :twisted:

I like your thinking. :D

I know a guy who looks a bit like Marwood, he's got the same curly longish hair and slim figure. Sucks that he's not a very nice person but you can't have everything, can you? :P
Ellietronic

PostPosted by Making Time » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:59 pm

:D :D :D

I'm still wondering why Tim hasn't posted here since August of last year... did something happen?
Making Time

PostPosted by Tim » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 am

Fear not, I haven't died!

I've been faffing about with decorations - the preparation takes an age (as in about six applications of polyfilla) and then a lick of paint and another...

I've now begun to strip the paint from the old joinery and if decorating is tedious then paint removal is doubly so.

Thus progress is slow but I will post some updates soon.

Tim
Tim

PostPosted by Making Time » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:43 am

Tim wrote:Fear not, I haven't died!

I've been faffing about with decorations - the preparation takes an age (as in about six applications of polyfilla) and then a lick of paint and another...

I've now begun to strip the paint from the old joinery and if decorating is tedious then paint removal is doubly so.

Thus progress is slow but I will post some updates soon.

Tim

Hi Tim! Glad to see you back. I mean, I just got to the forum a few days ago, but I've been avidly reading through all the refurbishments and loving all the photos and info you posted. I think it's completely brilliant that you're on this forum, and giving all of us Withnail fans a play-by-play as you restore "Crow Crag" to glory once more.

I do wish the silage heaps that stole the original range would return it to you... that irks me no end, as I'm sure it does you. I've tried several times to picture how they even DID that, what with how far out in the country it is, and the mud and oomska, and the sheer massive weight of the thing. How did they even get it loose from the moorings, and how did they fit it out the door, and was it two guys the size of Jeff Wode or fourteen regular size people? Did they drive a bloody truck out there to haul it? I wish Parkin had set the randy bull on them. Wankers.

Well, in any case, we're looking forward to more from you.

Cheers!
Making Time

PostPosted by Tim » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:42 pm

I'd like to say "Thank you" to someone I've not met and I've no idea who they are...

Parcel Force attempted to deliver a package to the house just before Christmas. I wasn't in residence at the time and the package was returned to Shap Post Office and subsequently collected by my neighbour. I've only just taken delivery of this mysterious package which, to my surprise and delight, contained three bottles of fine ale from my favourite brewery - Harveys of Lewes who, some of you will remember, I made reference to some time ago on this thread.

There was no note or indication as to who the sender was but there was a delivery number from the brewery so I contacted them and they informed me that the sender was one Gary Headland. I can only imagine that Gary read of my fondness for Harveys and was kind enough to order a few ales for Christmas.

Well Gary, thank you; I'm most grateful and I hope you've set a precedent!
Last edited by Tim on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:27 am

If you ever want to come to Lewes for Bonfire Night, let me know. I should be able to arrange accommodation. Also sort of know the head brewer there.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PreviousNext

Return to Locations, see?