bits you dont fully understand

General chat about the film.

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:21 pm

crooked wrote:It's just a film.

That made me laugh out loud. I suppose I should just type "LOL". But that just irritates the bejesus out of right-minded people.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Bits you don't understand part 357:
When Monty arrives at the cottage, the next morning he is walking around the cottage making breakfast. Marwood comes downstairs, and I think Monty asks him: "Did you sleep well?" Marwood gives out this sort of affirmative gay sigh. You must have heard this bit! It irritates the f*^% out of me. Now why would he do that when he doesn't want to attract Monty?
The Purveyor

PostPosted by blackpearl_phan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:15 pm

That and the whole "maybe it's in the other bag" thing.
blackpearl_phan

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 pm

"Maybe it's in the other bag" was a genuine mistake. He did not realise that Monty would keep his arm around the other side.
The Purveyor

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:49 pm

The Purveyor wrote: Marwood gives out this sort of affirmative gay sigh.

I'd say it was more of a bitter, "you know I didn't sleep well because you turned up in the middle of the night" acknowledgement to the rhetorical question.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:21 pm

As I just said in another thread (ooh, it rhymes) in the commentary McGann reveals that he tried to act posh in that scene but it comes across as flirty.
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:28 pm

crooked wrote:I asked someone who is rather a linguist and he says it's something like "requiem for Britain". Still doesn't clear it up though.

If this is what it means, then it does clear it up: Monty says "there can be no true beauty without decay" to which Withnail replies in Latin "requiem for Britain" meaning that Britain had beauty but is now decaying, something which Monty would agree with, hence "how right you are, how right you are!"
Personally I think it's a requiem for my teeth, maybe I should stop eating sugar...
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

Decay

PostPosted by The Old Chap » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Yes, the "Requiem for Britain" is that it is in decay. Decay, entropy and coming to an end are major themes throughout the film, as the 60s are ending (We failed to paint it black), Marwood's friendship with Withnail ends (I don't want you to follow me), and most importantly, the chicken comes to an end (Make it die).
The Old Chap

PostPosted by blackpearl_phan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 pm

Yes the chicken is, and I am being totally serious, the most important thing. That chicken was the coolest part, I felt sorry for it.
blackpearl_phan

Re: bits you dont fully understand

PostPosted by Some Scrubber » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:33 pm

To continue with what The Old Chap was saying, the film is also an elegy to lost youth, as Withnail comments he will be 30 in a month and has a sole flapping off his shoe. Very poignant. It's the end of the 60's and the end of Withnail's 20's.
Legium pro Britannia
Some Scrubber

PostPosted by Making Time » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm

I just read this entire thread, and it surprises me how many people don't get the fact that Withnail privately told Uncle Monty that Marwood was gay in order to get the keys to the cottage. That fact informs the entire rest of the plot.

The parts of this movie that I couldn't get at first were the words "saveloy" (I'm a New Yorker, so I had to go digging to figure out what that was - it looked just like a hot dog to me), and some of the stuff Danny said during his story about the dude who went to jail because he told the judge "You think you look normal?". The Danny scenes were hard for me because I was watching it on an old regular dvd that was awful - I could crank the volume to the top and still barely be able to hear it. Solved that problem when it came out on blu-ray, because they've revamped the audio... now I can blast the roof off with the soundtrack and hear every beautiful syllable.

I was also confused for a while about Withnail's reply to Danny that "A gang of cheroot vendors considered a haircut beyond the limit of my capabilities." - but finally got that he was referring to the cigar commercial people refusing to hire him, giving him the sorry excuse that his hair was too long for the part.

It's amazing how many things will come to you if you watch a movie a couple hundred times... :wink:

Also, if anyone reading this thread has parts of the film they don't get, a fantastic help (and a great read as well) is the screenplay. Bruce Robinson's writing is fabulous and funny, and you get a lot more insight into every scene (plus some that aren't included in the film) from his intros and notes. I carry it with me everywhere.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Some Scrubber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for that one, the 'cheroot vendors' line had always got past me, but I think it's partly because I have seldom been sober the many times I have seen it. That does indeed make perfect sense now. Excellent!

The only time I have encountered 'saveloy' is in W&I, but I'm guessing it's a south of England or London thing, it's pretty much unheard of up north in my humble experience. British chip shop sausages are not hot dogs though, they have a thicker skin, often wrinkled and tough due to sitting on a hotplate for a good while, but almost always delicious.

I have read a bit of the screenplay online, and have ordered the book. It does indeed have notes that set the scene and additions bits of dialogue, all magnificently written true to style. I am very much looking forward to perusing it fully. I have also just ordered the bluray, and will have to go out and get into the 21st century by buying a bluray player.

By the way I think the screenplay mentions Marwood gives Withnail a 10 bob note, so it's a tenner, not a tanner. Bit before my time, I'm afraid, but I think that would buy a ton of drinks and pay for the phone call. Come to think of it, something I don't understand - could you afford to drink that much on the dole in 1969???
Legium pro Britannia
Some Scrubber

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Some Scrubber wrote:Come to think of it, something I don't understand - could you afford to drink that much on the dole in 1969???

You could if you never bought clothing, food, or paid the rent! I think that's the general norm for our boys...
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Previous

Return to Withnail and I