bits you dont fully understand

General chat about the film.

bits you dont fully understand

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:23 am

there are quite a few parts of the film i have never fully understood. one of them is the child's piss; how do they actually get the uncontaminated urine when they are constantly drinking?

i was also curious about "He's so mauve we don't know what he's planning" so i looked up the word mauve and found this:

answers.com wrote:In the classic Bruce Robinson film Withnail and I, Montague Withnail declines his nephew's offer of sherry with the explanation "Oh dear no, no, no. I'd be sucked into his trap. One of us has got to stay on guard. He's so mauve we don't know what he's planning." He fears alcohol may cloud his judgement and weaken his determination to engineer a private encounter with Marwood (accused of mauveness in the quotation) on Monty's terms. Marwood wishes to avoid such an encounter on any terms, but regardless of this he is as unlikely as the viewer to understand any literal meaning in having this colourful adjective applied to him. Whether that uncertainty is its own explanation, given what we later come to know of Monty's (cruelly misinformed) understanding of Marwood's lifestyle choices, and Marwood's own ambiguous reaction in several scenes to Monty's advances, is a question left unanswered until much later, ironically in opposite ways in the minds of the two protagonists.

anyone got any other queries?
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:38 pm

The logical answer is Withnail does get hold of a child.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Parkin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:34 pm

Was 'mauve' explained then, or not ?? Or is that just someones view of what they may think it refers to ??
Didn't someone on here make a view about the possible sexual orientation of both Marwood and Withnail,.??
I won't agree with anyones views, until I hear Bruce tells us what the fuck he was going on about :thumbup:
Danny's here. Milf Hunter to his friends. Milf Hunter to everybody

one of my fav lines from the film ;-)
Parkin

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:39 pm

it also says

Mauve became very popular in the 1890s and became associated with homosexuality because well known figures in the art world during that decade were gay such as author Oscar Wilde and artist Aubrey Beardsley. (By the 1950s, lavender came to symbolize homosexuality, and then pink beginning in the 1970s).
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Parkin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 pm

Withwine and I wrote:The logical answer is Withnail does get hold of a child.

Maybe they got hold of one in the village when they went for food,.. even though Penrith is a town ,..

Just makes you wonder where infact Bruce and Michael Feast actually stayed when they visited the Lake District,.. Next time we are up there we shall have to get hold of a phonebook for the area and see if we can find the original farmer Parkin.

Parkin

PostPosted by Parkin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:47 pm

crooked wrote:it also says

Mauve became very popular in the 1890s and became associated with homosexuality because well known figures in the art world during that decade were gay such as author Oscar Wilde and artist Aubrey Beardsley. (By the 1950s, lavender came to symbolize homosexuality, and then pink beginning in the 1970s).

My dad used to tell me that the gays at the BBC wore pink triangles,..

What does mauve look like btw,.. ??

Parkin

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:08 am

ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by The Seagull » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:25 am

Nice!
I shall miss you too. Chin-chin.
The Seagull

PostPosted by Parkin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:35 am

so like a greyish pink then ??

as in a grey area, but definetly a shade of pink,..

Mauve = sort of undecided

Parkin

PostPosted by polly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:31 am

The bit I don't fully understand is when Uncle Monty says, "It's the two queens to bet." I may be just unbelievably stupid, or am I missing the point? Does he mean that both he and Withnail are gay and he knows it? But that couldn't be so because Withnails told him that he feels nothing for Marwood. So then, what does he mean? Although, to my recollection he only says, "It isn't his fault that he couldn't love you," - never actually that he is not homosexual. It just confuses me. Sorry, fairly stupid question but I've been trying hard to work it out! And I'm sure that there is no sexual connotation between the I character and Withnail. It just confuses me, that line. :roll:
My heart's beating like a fucked clock!
polly

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:33 am

he means that its Marwood's turn to bet. Marwood has just been dealt a second queen.

i think.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by polly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:41 am

:oops: Oh, I get it. I picked that up wrong, I thought it had a double meaning. And i don't understand any card games. Cheers.
polly

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:45 am

thats what Monty and Withnail are talking about in Latin. something to do with a queen to the rescue. it is meant to have the double meaning but i was just explaining the literal one.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by polly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:57 am

Ah, I knew I was missing out on something not undestanding the latin part. Thanks for the explanation.
polly

PostPosted by Parkin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:28 am

Withnail says, in Latin, 'He needs a Queen to come to the rescue",..
Marwood then gets a Queen with the next card to win ,.. Hence Monty saying , "It's the two queens to bet" with possible hope that Marwood will agree,.. I suppose it depends on the card game they are playing aswell

Parkin

Next

Return to Withnail and I