HARRY PATCH "BRITAINS LAST FIGHTING TOMMY"

A place for discussing news articles, politics and more serious issues.

HARRY PATCH "BRITAINS LAST FIGHTING TOMMY"

PostPosted by oomska » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Although he passed away in 2009 his experiences are still a humbling, thought provoking story about the futility of war, a true hero of the highest order and a humanist, though his modesty would refute both honours, I would defy anyone not to shed a tear when he recants his story for what he and thousands of British and German troops suffered under the hands of rulers who should not have even been allowed to keep a pet under their command never mind hundreds of thousands of innocent young men and boys.

If any man should be entitled to proudly wear a medal on his chest then he and his fellow comrades have fully earned the right, I keep seeing the idiots in the Royal family donning them at functions and days out fucking shame on them.

In this country the powers that be always erect stautues to the unworthy, in my eyes they should be torn down and from the rubble should rise a new hero in Harry Patch, come to think of it, it really pisses me off when footballers or anyone else of the same ilk does something good in the course of their duties the media shite then label them hero`s.

Radioheads song dedicated to his memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX84ObSqtCQ

Here are some of Harry`s sincere words,

"When the war ended, I don't know if I was more relieved that we'd won or that I didn't have to go back. Passchendaele was a disastrous battle — thousands and thousands of young lives were lost. It makes me angry. Earlier this year, I went back to Ypres to shake the hand of Herr Kuentz, Germany's only surviving veteran from the war. It was emotional. He is 107. We've had 87 years to think what war is. To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X89oZYIV ... re=related
Last edited by oomska on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Re: HARRY PATCH "BRITAINS LAST FIGHTING TOMMY"

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Great post.
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:47 am

in the immortal words of Culture Club:

"War war is stupid And people are stupid And love means nothing In some strange quarters."
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by oomska » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Harry Patch (In memory of)
Radiohead

I am the only one that got through
The others died where ever they fell
It was an ambush
They came up from all sides
Give your leaders each a gun and then let them fight it out themselves
I've seen devils coming up from the ground
I've seen hell upon this earth
The next will be chemical but they will never learn.

The last line was taken from an interview with Harry Patch in 2005.

The significance of Harry`s passing is probably greatly understated, he being the final connection and the last human being to be able to retrace his steps and recount the harshest experiences imaginable of the first world war, the truth lies in his poignient words "THEY WILL NEVER LEARN" and so the killing by self righteous leaders still goes on, where is the bravery of being out of range..
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by HE Bates » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Yes, war, that poor people have to fight on behalf of rich fuckers who want more and ever more. It is sickening.

Go in Peace, Harry Patch. It would have been great to spend a long dinner, then breakfast and also lunch with someone like him, just to hear his stories, because, good lord, what all he has seen.

A good, 4-hour long, non-Hollywood-bullshit biopic could be something of interest, something of deep cultural significance. Ken Loach anyone?

I don't want to romanticise the wars of earlier ages, but yes, modern war, mechanised war, starting with WWI... what have we done? Sometimes I just want to get off this earth...
HE Bates

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:43 am

HE Bates wrote: Sometimes I just want to get off this earth...

I'm with you! where shall we go? Babylon 5? Farscape?
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I'd go to Vulcan.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:47 am

why so serious? :P
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:53 pm

It's the only logical place to go.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:39 pm

A punchline that takes a day to deliver. I like it.
Withwine and I

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:33 pm

if you actually were a Trekkie, you would have known that Vulcan blew up in the last Star Trek film. So there.
McFuck

PostPosted by oomska » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 pm

The Purveyor wrote:Great post.

Thanks purv / batesy

Harry would be proud.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by jeff wode » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 pm

but as fucking awful shitty tragic and gut wrenchingly emotional the whole concept of war is, lets not forget that the reason we are here and able to post these views in this modern age in freedom and complete lack of fear of retribution for holding them, is because in a different simpler, more deferential and harsher time, brave men gave everything in horrific battles in order to allow us the freedom we enjoy. whilst i agree with the comments about the futility of war and the inequality of slaughtering thousands of men in defence of a country they were never to be allowed to own any of, the truth is that we are here and free now because they did make that sacrifice. you simply cannot apply modern logic emotion and morality to things that happened in the past. as much as we all decry the horrors of war from our computer aided central heated western comfortable existence, lets not forget that the ability to feel outraged at the past is a right bought by the blood of thousands, and wagging a disaproving finger at the past means utterly nothing at all. we simply HAD to fight the two great world wars of the 20th century, there is no option now in 2011 to go back and 'unfight' them, the horrors of what we lost would be far overshadows by the horrors had we not. railing against the horrors of ww1 as a cry to remove the horrors of current and future wars is as futile as trying to cut road deaths by uninventing the wheel.
jeff wode

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 am

jeff wode wrote: wagging a disaproving finger at the past means utterly nothing at all. we simply HAD to fight the two great world wars of the 20th century, there is no option now in 2011 to go back and 'unfight' them, the horrors of what we lost would be far overshadows by the horrors had we not.

The whole point is we can and we always will wag our centrally heated fingers at the past otherwise we will never move forward or learn one single thing from our leaders mistakes, or even our own mistakes in normal life.
WW1 did not stop any other consequent wars and the horrors still go on, but then again its only horrific if you are involved in it, it just ends up as another news report that we are all accustomed to and most individuals are more enraged about a cat being put in a bin rather that human lives been lost, which is all down to the systemic brainwashing that we are all unknowingly subject to, as long as a soldier`s family have been informed then we are all relieved about the fact that he/she has just been blown to bits.

The whole point of the thread really, was from Harry`s point of view, from a human who was there and experienced the whole utter shambolic degradation of fellow humans, to think that young men were executed at dawn for cowardice and shellshock is totally abhorrent to any right thinking person, its a good job that we did wag our fingers at this particularily shameful part of our history.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Return to News and politics, man