Withnail's toast

A place to come and say hello and hang around and converse.

Withnail's toast

PostPosted by bastard behind the eyes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 pm

For many years, I managed a team of internationalization engineers. Teams of this type are often a mix of cultures. This one was no exception. We came to enjoy the many differences in perspective that existed in the group. Going out to eat together was also a great passion, and when there was an occasion for toasting, you would often hear us toast "Chin-chin!".
"Chin-chin" is an italian toast, (actually Cin-Cin) which I believe means the equivalent of "to your health". One of our Japanese engineers had once told us a story about this. Apparently, a Japanese business man goes to a dinner event. During the course of the dinner, an Italian raises his glass and toasts "Chin-chin!" to the Japanese man. At first, the Japanese looks stunned. He looks at the Italian, and apparently detecting that the Italian meant no harm, he raises his glass and sips his drink sharing in the toast. He smiles broadly.
Later in the evening, someone who noticed his facial expressions during the toast, goes to the Japanese man and asks him about his reaction. He smiles and explains:
"I had not heard this particular toast before. In Japanese, the word 'chin' means penis. So when he said 'chin-chin' to me, I thought at first he was insulting me. Then I thought about it, and decided if this man wants to toast my penis, who am I to argue? So I accepted the toast gladly."
Once we heard that story, we rarely missed a chance to toast each other with "Chin-chin". (Or at least most of the men did.)
The words themselves must not be too offensive in Japan. For example, streetcars run from Tennoji and Ebisu-cho in Osaka to Hamadera in Sakai City. The name of this kind of streetcar is "Chin-chin Densha" or "Chin-den" for short. "Densha" means "train" in Japanese, and the sound of the bell which rings at the time of departure is considered to be "Chin-chin".

This was written by Texan Pete. McFuck, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what exactly an, "internationalization engineer" is? Is it an engineer that internationalises things? or is the internationalisation done to them, as it were?
bastard behind the eyes

Re: Withnail's toast

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:20 am

It's someone who turns computer software written in for one language market into other language markets. Or somesuch.
Withwine and I

PostPosted by HE Bates » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 am

Withwine and I wrote:It's someone who turns computer software written in for one language market into other language markets. Or somesuch.

... and they call that engineering?
HE Bates

PostPosted by bastard behind the eyes » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Ho ho ho. Yes it is a bit of a misnomer what!
bastard behind the eyes

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:13 pm

How can i fit a Withnailism into my wedding speach (bridegroom). Any suggestions? Chin chin is elementary. Must be something else i can stick in there.
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:27 am

You could start it with "I have of late...".
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:30 pm

bastards! you'll all suffer!
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Hmm. Thanks for those suggestions but the "i have of late.." speach is perhaps not fitting for a wedding. Maybe a funeral! :thumbup:

I could drunkenly declare "I'm going to show the lot of you! I'm going to be a star!" ..followed by stunned silence :wine:
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 am

I cannot see that there is anything that you could quote without upsetting the new in laws and ending up sleeping on the couch on your wedding night.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:52 pm

How right you are. How right you are!
Wrigglesworth

Return to The Crow and Crown