What does Withnail tell Monty off-screen in Monty's house?

General chat about the film.

What does Withnail tell Monty off-screen in Monty's house?

PostPosted by a doll what shits itself » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Always wondered what the gist of Withnail's 'quite word' with Monty was, and just how much of a premeditated scheme he embarks on with Monty and having a weekend at his expense.

Is he enticing Monty along by cynically saying something along the lines of: 'Marwood is a very sensitive boy and would love to get to know you, uncle. why dont you come along and join us and we can all have a splendid time' ? Or is he genuine when he tells Marwood it was a calculated risk, tactical necessity ?

If it were the former, then he wouldnt be so surprised when Monty arrives, no ?
a doll what shits itself

Re: What does Withnail tell Monty off-screen in Monty's hous

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:35 am

I've always assumed it was something along the lines of a thinly veiled implication that if Monty let's them have the cottage there is a good chance that Marwood will get down and dirty when they get back.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by a doll what shits itself » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am

It's really key to the film, isnt it. Ultimately Withnail is prepared to sell his mates arse for some fine wines and a good scran. this is what breaks his friendship with Marwood. Watching the final scenes, it seems certain that the two will never meet again.

It's clear that Marwood believes he (and Monty) has been betrayed - he says "christ withnail what you've done will have to be paid for" after all.
a doll what shits itself

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 am

a doll what shits itself wrote: Ultimately Withnail is prepared to sell his mates arse for some fine wines and a good scran.

I would sell my mates arse for less, he`s a cunt. :lol:

Its a pity the DVD format was not around in 1987 as I bet Bruce Robinson would have liked to have added a few deleted scenes or alternative endings to the film, even though the cash was tight I`m sure George Harrison would have helped out.

And I can imagine one of the deleted scenes would be where Marwood would be telling Withnail about what a real pain in the arse Monty was just befeore he set fire to Withnail`s bed.

Thought for the day,

Even though you might be skint, your imagination will always have an unlimited budget :wink:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by jeff wode » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 pm

its clear from the dialogue that withnail told monty that marwood was gay and 'active' but its also clear that he never thought that monty would go to all the trouble of driving from london to penrith to try it on. essentially withnail was playing homosexual russian roulette with marwoods arse being the target!
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:25 am

Well, in the bedroom scene Monty says exactly what Withnail told him. About Marwoods "problems", and how he "feels", about his (no doubt trumped up) "arrest in the Tottenham Court Road", and that Marwood is a "toilet trader".

Basically, Withnail paints a picture of Marwood as a deep-in-the-closet gay man who gives bj's in restrooms for money - thus making Uncle Monty fairly certain that anything goes where Marwood is concerned.

Egads, Withnail is a bastard sometimes! Still love him to pieces, though. He's always kind enough to offer someone a glass of their own sherry, at their own cottage. HA!
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Return to Withnail and I