Live screening of the film as part of festival

A place to come and say hello and hang around and converse.

Live screening of the film as part of festival

PostPosted by VimUnderTheSink » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:40 am

Hi folks. Long, long, long-time lurker here. I've been a fan of the film for years and seen it dozens of times but this is my first post. I thought I'd write after seeing a few messages that the forum was quiet of late - and especially after reading about the rather pricey showing of the film at Sleddale Hall recently.

The weekend prior to that, there was a screening in Derbyshire, where I live, in a little market town called Wirksworth. The screening was part of the Wirksworth Festival.

My cousin Dave, friend Darren and I decided we'd go along as soon as we heard about it - and admission was only a fiver. I can't believe they charged £36 for the event at Sleddale. That really is not on.

A few weeks before the screening, Dave emailed one of the organisers and asked if there was a campsite nearby. We fancied a few ales and didn't want to drive. The chap said no - but kindly offerered his back garden for our tents for free. Top man!

Fast forward to the night itself and I arrived first at the house, followed by Darren (who'd driven all the way from Doncaster) and then Dave a few minutes later. He'd driven from Southport. We're all huge fans of the film. I only drove from Belper, a handful of miles away. I suspect D&D were making time.

We arrived at the house and met the organiser, plus his partner, who was half-way through dressing as Miss Blennerhassett. She wasn't alone in the fancy dress stakes.

Anyway, then it turned out they had a caravan, so Darren and I made ourselves comfy while Dave opted to pitch his tent outside.

As he did, I prepared my costume - tying two carrier bags to my feet. One of them was red and white, like in the film. I forked my raw potato and we were ready.

Off to the nearby pub we we went, my spud-on-a-fork and bagged feet attracting one or two quizical looks from the locals. As we arrived at the pub, the organisers had a 1980s "ghetto blaster" (remember those?) and were playing music from the film. Schubert, Stars in Indiana, Watchtower, the lot.

Then a lady came round with fried egg sandwiches - all included in the £5 fee. There was a chap dressed as Monty and my friend Tim - a real farmer - with his leg bound in "polythine".

The ales were flowing and this really was a wonderful start to the evening I'd been looking forward to for so long.

Soon enough, we were ready to move on. The organisers had expected 50 people. There must have been nearer 200.

We began to walk from the pub to the film area - a good way across Wirksworth. The organisers carried the ghetto blaster with them en route and Monty was at the head of the procession, belting out quotes from the film. Someone else was dressed as the Jag and someone else carried one of the motorway signs. The attention to detail was amazing.

You have to bear in mind that this was a Friday night, so the town was busy with its usual revellers. We got some wide-eyed looks as we marched through Wirksworth, shouting "PONCE!" and "SCRUBBERS!" at pretty much anyone and everyone.

After a ten-minute-or-so walk, we arrived at what I belive to be a former quarry, now turned into a little parkland area. It was the most perfect amphitheatre, with a big screen at the front and plenty of seats provided by the organisers.

Again, the music from the film was playing and, to the right-hand side, was a gazebo selling sherry (Sherry? Sherry. Sherry), cider and ale. Not sure about the gin and I suspect the 53 Margaux was absent but even so, a cracking effort from the organisers once again!

The mood was wonderful. Everyone was having a cracking time and it was a really clear night. We were in quite a rural location so there was no light pollution and the night sky above the cliffs of the quarry was spectacular, with thousands upon thousands of stars visible. When planes passed overhead, it put you in mind of Close Encounters. This was the case from beginning to end.

And so enter our heroes, Marwood and Withnail. I usually watch this film at 2am of a weekend alone. It was fantastic to watch with other people.

People were saying: "I love this film, God, I love this film" as it began.

Then there were a couple of power cuts. Boo. It all took some sorting out and we missed out on Jeff Wode and imagining both the size of his balls and getting into a fight with the f*cker.

But it was soon sorted and we were back watching this amazing movie, so many hardcore fans altogether. The gags seemed way funnier than normal and the people who'd not seen it before were in stitches. I felt for them, like losing their virginity somehow - and what a place and what a time to do it.

We got to the scenes in Camden as our boys, my boys, are heading out in the Jag. The wrecking ball swings out and then arcs back, smashing down the wall of that old house. And at the VERY SECOND of impact, a freak gust blew down the screen. The timing was absolutely perfect. People gasped, cheered and then applauded. You really couldn't make it up.

On with the film and a few people - myself and the lady behind me very much included - were reciting line after line. Not because we were showing off but because we were one with the film. Withnail and I feels very much like watching a play anyway and here we were sharing it with scores of people in an amphitheatre and we were in our element.

At the scene where Withnail finds his potato, I held mine aloft and roared: "I'VE GOT ONE!" Everybody had seen me with it earlier, and cheered. It was amazing!

This was a very special night. Rather cold - but I was wrapped up well. Under a Speilberg sky with so many fans of the film. We discussed it at length afterwards and then headed back to the pub, even finishing with a pair of pork pies - though none got stuck in our teeth.

The best fiver I've ever spent.
VimUnderTheSink

Re: Live screening of the film as part of festival

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 pm

ah, now that's a festival nearer to my own heart! and at a better price!

welcome Vim! :wine:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 pm

McFuck wrote:ah, now that's a festival nearer to my own heart! and at a better price!

welcome Vim! :wine:

Touche.
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by VimUnderTheSink » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks folks. :) I shall be sure to post again soon now I've actually bothered to register... liven all you stiffs up a bit.
VimUnderTheSink

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:35 am

VimUnderTheSink wrote: liven all you stiffs up a bit.

the stiffs could use a little livening up here :drunk: :high:
McFuck

PostPosted by oomska » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Welcome Vim, great story there, though you could have gone into a bit more detail :lol: damn I was going so well there before my sarcasm butted in and let me down :wink:

Tis good to see other people are actually venturing outside and doing stuff, well done to your bohemian bunch of merry men that took the trouble to organise the additional entertainment. :thumbup:

Will you be bringing some other proprietary brand cleaning products to the forum? god knows it needs it :thumbup:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by VimUnderTheSink » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:36 am

Yeah, sorry about the long post. I'm a bona fide journalist (really). I usually work on my Derbyshire food and drink magazine, Taste the Seasons - http://www.tastetheseasons.co.uk - survey of rural types, you know, farmers, travelling tinkers, milkmen, that sort of thing.

That reminds me, I did once write to Tim to ask if I could write a feature up at Crow Crag, recreating the meals they had there - garlic, rosemary and salt, chicken onna brick and all that. He replied once but then not after that. Bastard must have died.

As for the cleaning products, don't attempt anything without the gloves.
VimUnderTheSink

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:28 am

as a youth I used to weep in butcher shops, so no chicken on a brick for me.

btw, is that your pussy in your photo over there <----- or do you own a jaguar - the feline type?
McFuck

PostPosted by VimUnderTheSink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:17 am

Neah, get the beastly little swine out of here. :wink:

Just the result of a Google search, alas. Those keen eyed amongst you will spot that both bars are not on, so probably not Norman wintering with his mother in Guildford. Perhaps autumn.
VimUnderTheSink

PostPosted by Penfold » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:14 pm

VimUnderTheSink wrote:I'm a bona fide journalist :?: I usually work on my Derbyshire food and drink magazine, Taste the Seasons - http://www.tastetheseasons.co.uk -

There he goes- unrelenting self-publicist :wink:

Oh, Hi by the way- I'm that cousin of which he spoke....I too have been lurking, biding my time, trying to put my comparitively moderate knowledge of matters into something remotely interesting :lol:
Penfold

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 am

Penfold as in Dangermouse? Or is it just your name?
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 am

welcome Penfold - sherry? :wine:
McFuck

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 am

How-do Mucker.
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Withwine and I wrote:Penfold as in Dangermouse? Or is it just your name?

I was wondering that as well. Clearly we both used to watch shit cartoons as children. :P
Ellietronic

PostPosted by VimUnderTheSink » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Penfold's real name is Dave. I think he's known as Penfold because he's short, fat and bald.

Not unlike myself really.
VimUnderTheSink

Next

Return to The Crow and Crown