Music

Other films, music, TV and books

Music

PostPosted by HE Bates » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:12 pm

I was just sitting here, listening to some Charles Mingus, looking at Mr Snappy, who someone said looks like Noel Gallagher and I thought: No, he looks like Lloyd Cool-baby Cole. Then I thought, I wonder what these Withnalians listen to? Will they laugh at me for liking Lloyd Cole, etc.?

So I thought, maybe a survey first. But how to make it an enjoyable, free-flowing kind of conversation rather than a survey. So I gave up on the idea.

But, so, does anyone here still listen to the The The?

Edit: I can't stand many forms of contemporary music: dubstep, techno, house (although I have indulged in a smattering of deep-house). I think in style or form, the closest I get to any of these new genres is Massive Attack. Their first 2 albums. After that I lose interest.
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

Re: Music

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:31 pm

I like Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beatles, and there are some other songs, but they don't seem to pop up on iTunes very often.

Ellie is more eclectic, you should ask Ellie, but she does like the Beatles.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by HE Bates » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:00 pm

I guess I'm also trying to get some sort of generational fixes on people. (I was born before the moon landing, for instance.)
HE Bates

PostPosted by HE Bates » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:03 pm

What a terrible sentence. Now I feel unwell...
HE Bates

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:33 pm

I was 11 when they landed on the moon, and was camping out in the back yard.

I have switched to classical music on the radio, because the classical stations have no commercials. As for popular music, my tastes change with every decade. Around Christmas time I usually listen to Gregorian chants and The Sixteen.

However, the best and most memorable live concert I ever attended was Guns n Roses :drunk: :high:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm currently listening to The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing and 100% Beefcock And The Tits Burster, both very noisy. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:36 pm

I like pretty much all types of music. Speaking of noisy, my favourite Christmas song is this:

ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 pm

crooked wrote:I like pretty much all types of music. Speaking of noisy, my favourite Christmas song is this:

Excellent! :lol: :lol:
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by HE Bates » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:25 am

You people are weird.
HE Bates

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

I thought that was understood. We're here, aren't we?
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Bondee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 pm

I'll listen to anything that catches my attention and makes me want to listen to it. OK, it's mainly obnoxious guitar based stuff, but there's a lot of blues, jazz, reggae, etc in there. And I'm not averse to a bit of dance music, but it has to have balls.

For example, so far today I have listened to*...

sunno))) - Black Wedding
Isis - The Beginning And The End
Blur - Parklife
Litmus - Infinity Drive
Gripe - Pig Servant**

And I have more Isis and Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans cued up in WinAmp.

*I'll link to one track from each album. We'll be here all bleedin' night if I list everything!
**Except Gripe because the entire album is shorter than the sunno))) track.
(-.(-.(-.(-.(-.(-.-).-).-).-).-).-)
They're watching you!
Bondee

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 pm

My taste in music has changed a lot since I was a teenager. When I went to uni I used to spend every weekend out clubbing to industrial, synthpop and EBM. Now it's my idea of hell.

Favourite band ever is the Beatles. Infact I'm off to see their biggest tribute band, the Bootleg Beatles tonight, and I can't fupping wait. May have to throw my knickers at 'Paul' if I'm feeling daring enough. :P
I love John, Paul and George's solo stuff, although I'll admit I've never listened to Ringo's. I've also got all of Julian Lennon's albums, and keep meaning to give the other Beatles kid's stuff a try.

Lately I've been listening to a mixture of blues, jazz and soul. Erykah Badu is one of my favourite singers, her voice is like melted honey and I love her overall look as well. I've had on a lot of Dr John in the past few days as well, I love his weird night-tripper hoodoo stuff, and his more jazz style stuff is good too.

I have a lot of love for Jack White, love the White Stripes and all the phases they went through, and his solo stuff and his other bands are awesome too. I don't tend to go to a lot of concerts any more because I just don't think a lot of artists are worth what you'd pay to see them, but I'd gladly pay to see Jack perform again, I saw the White Stripes three times when they were together and they were amazing each time, Jack has such a raw sound when he plays live and I love it.

I like my older stuff too like Blondie [she was amazing when I saw her live, great energy], Depeche Mode, The Cure, ABBA, cheesy 80's stuff is always good too.

Shamefully, I also like some pop crap. Robyn and Rihanna in particular. Just cause their crap music is catchy and fun to dance to. Also I really fancy Rihanna. :P
Ellietronic

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:00 pm

crooked wrote:I like pretty much all types of music. Speaking of noisy, my favourite Christmas song is this:

I'd just like to say: FUCK CHRISTMAS MUSIC. All of it. I fucking hate Christmas music and it's being played in every fucking shop I go in. I'll be doing all my shopping online until the New Year. :x
Ellietronic

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Did you listen to that one? It's not exactly Slade.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm

I did. It's a bit shouty isn't it. :P

Also it's still about Christmas.

Just call me Scrooge. :wink:
Ellietronic

Next

Return to Other Entertainment