I'm going for a cup of tea... d'you want one?

A place to come and say hello and hang around and converse.

I'm going for a cup of tea... d'you want one?

PostPosted by Making Time » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello all. :) I've been a Withnail fan for three years (how did I ever get that far without it?) and have pretty much fallen down the rabbit hole into complete obsession. A friend told me about this forum only yesterday, which is why I'm so late to the party... I do hope there's some sherry left.

Two years ago I started collecting all the vintage items I could find in the background of the film, and the collection got so large that I had to find an official place to put it. The only space in my cottage that would hold it all was a wall in my computer room, and thus was born the "Wall-O-Withnail." If anyone's interested in seeing it, I've made a blog about it here: http://www.wall-o-withnail.blogspot.com - it tells where I found each item, and there are screen shots from the film to show where each one appears.

Looking forward to meeting you all. I'm bona fide. I'm not from London.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: I'm going for a cup of tea... d'you want one?

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:06 pm

That's a damned impressive collection, although I would point out the whisky in the film is opened, should you ever need an excuse to drink it all.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Welcome. Who recommended us then?
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:45 am

Welcome M. Time, lovely to meet you and hope you will stay. That really is an impressive collection; I would vote you "most obsessive" fan in a heartbeat! Chin chin!

Am I correct in assuming you live in the "states"?
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:04 am

Withwine and I wrote:That's a damned impressive collection, although I would point out the whisky in the film is opened, should you ever need an excuse to drink it all.

Aye, but as this bottle cost me nearly $200 USD, plus shipping from Scotland, I think it's going to remain as is until doomsday... or until I can get Bruce Robinson, Paul McGann, and R.E.G. 'round for a couple of LARGE scotches.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:05 am

crooked wrote:Welcome. Who recommended us then?

:arrow: A lovely chap known here as "oomska". 8)
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 am

McFuck wrote:Welcome M. Time, lovely to meet you and hope you will stay. That really is an impressive collection; I would vote you "most obsessive" fan in a heartbeat! Chin chin!

Am I correct in assuming you live in the "states"?

You get to guess where I live:

1) With my mother in Guilford
2) Penrith. PENRITH!!!
3) Crow Crag
4) Four floors up on the Charing Cross Road
5) Not London
6) New York
Making Time

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Making Time wrote:
Withwine and I wrote:That's a damned impressive collection, although I would point out the whisky in the film is opened, should you ever need an excuse to drink it all.

Aye, but as this bottle cost me nearly $200 USD, plus shipping from Scotland, I think it's going to remain as is until doomsday... or until I can get Bruce Robinson, Paul McGann, and R.E.G. 'round for a couple of LARGE scotches.

It'll have to be just you and McGann on the Scotch, so I'd advise you invest in some softer alternative for when this happens, as it undoubtedly must.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:57 pm

I'll guess 5 or 6
McFuck

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 am

Withwine and I wrote:It'll have to be just you and McGann on the Scotch, so I'd advise you invest in some softer alternative for when this happens, as it undoubtedly must.

Ohhhh, I like the sound of that... just Paul McGann and I on the Scotch. All kinds of delicious! :twisted:
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 am

McFuck wrote:I'll guess 5 or 6

Close... 5 AND 6! 8)
Making Time

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 am

is that NYC or somewhere upstate?

nice to finally have another 'murican here. :thumbup:
McFuck

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:31 am

McFuck wrote:is that NYC or somewhere upstate?

nice to finally have another 'murican here. :thumbup:

Neither. Long Island! Where are you from?
Making Time

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Wow, impressive collection. I especially love the Guinness toucan, I've always liked those old adverts with him on. I've never really noticed him lurking in the scenes of Withnail before, what a let down of a fan I am. Welcome to the boards sir. :thumbup: :D
Ellietronic

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Ellietronic wrote:Wow, impressive collection. I especially love the Guinness toucan, I've always liked those old adverts with him on. I've never really noticed him lurking in the scenes of Withnail before, what a let down of a fan I am. Welcome to the boards sir. :thumbup: :D

Thanks, Ellie. That toucan lamp base was fun to hunt down, because there are loads of fakes out there. I do love ebay, but you have to keep your wits about you when dealing with antiques - there are plenty of silage heaps willing to sell you a reproduction for the price of an original.

P.S. I'm a ma'am. :) (Look at my avatar... that's me, between Uncle Monty and Withnail!)
Making Time

Next

Return to The Crow and Crown