Popping other peeps' W&I cherry even if it must be burglary!

General chat about the film.

Popping other peeps' W&I cherry even if it must be burglary!

PostPosted by Making Time » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:44 am

The only thing as enjoyable as watching "Withnail & I" yet again is watching it with someone who has never watched it before. This thread is for stories about people you invited to watch it with you, and their opinions of it afterward. Did they become huge fans and try to organize a trip to Crow Crag? Did they scratch their heads, scoot away from you on the couch a little, and sort of stop calling you anymore?

I've popped six people's Withnail cherries so far.

1. My husband. He thought it was slightly amusing and mostly depressing, and doesn't want to watch it again. This might be partially because I said that Paul McGann looked like a Greek god in the shaving in the bath scene, and I may or may not have rewound the scenes with Marwood in just his underpants more than was strictly necessary. The good part is that my husband has a memory like a steel trap, and he does enjoy trading Withnail lines with me at odd moments when no one else knows what the fuck we're talking about. How he can remember all that having only seen the film twice is beyond me, but it's good fun.

2. / 3. A married couple, who are friends of ours, and young enough to be our kids. They liked it, but I think they're just too young to really "get it". The guy definitely liked it better than the girl. He laughed through the entire thing. I gave him the DVD for his birthday. He probably never watches it because his wife doesn't want to. Still, I'm spreading the good word of Withnail! Can I get a chorus of "BALLS!"

4. A close single guy friend of ours - he went NUTS over it, immediately bought it, and he and I are currently planning a Withnail Feast/Fest in which we're going to cook a leg of lamb (with garlic, rosemary, and salt), a pork pie, and we're going to have a SIP of every drink in the movie as it goes along. This should be epic! My husband is planning to lock himself in the computer room for the duration, I believe. Or possibly leave the state for a few days.

5. My MOTHER. (I know! Right???) My mother is in her early 70's. She's also a Bible-banger who lives down south in the Land of Baptists. I watched it with her during one of her visits up to NY last summer. I nearly fell over when she asked if we could watch it again when she came up to visit me recently. Who knew?!?! I think she may have suspected it was a cult brainwashing film, as all I've done is talk about Withnail since I fell under its spell. Not really, but if she had thought that she might have been closer to the truth than she knew.

6. This one was long distance - I wasn't actually there - a girl I met online who has the same taste in nearly everything (actually, I bought a Withnail-esque coat from her on ebay and we just kept emailing). She and her husband watched it, and liked it, but I don't think she became a huge fan.

And... I'm getting ready for number seven! This coming Tuesday another guy friend of ours is coming over to watch it for the first time. I'll let you know his reaction after the screening.

I find myself having to sit on my hands when showing Withnail to friends here in America, because most of them are not very hip to British colloquialism and humor (I prefer British film and tele over American every time), so I keep wanting to hit the pause button and say "did you get that?". I mean, I guess "shag sack" sounds kind of funny to anyone, but it's REALLY funny when you know what it means.

So... who have you deflowered? And how did they like it?
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: Popping other peeps' W&I cherry even if it must be burgl

PostPosted by poppymoon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:23 am

My cherry has yet to be popped. In an ideal world, I'd be sandwiched between Ellie and McFuck, surrounded by cats and booze.
poppymoon

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:24 am

poppymoon wrote:My cherry has yet to be popped. In an ideal world, I'd be sandwiched between Ellie and McFuck, surrounded by cats and booze.

I'm not sure a threesome is the best choice for your first time - you need room to spread out, relax, and not worry about where elbows and knees go whilst in the throes of mirth! :P

P.S. Egads, woman - what are you waiting for?!?!
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:01 pm

I have tried, god knows I have tried, but no one gets it.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:26 am

McFuck wrote:I have tried, god knows I have tried, but no one gets it.

I suppose that I should count myself lucky to have the one friend who really went bonkers over it. As you can see, I'm very energetic in getting after them, but the percentage of people who don't answer my phone calls any more is much higher than the people calling me up to say "let's watch it again!". I can't help it if the system doesn't work.
Making Time

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

poppymoon wrote:My cherry has yet to be popped. In an ideal world, I'd be sandwiched between Ellie and McFuck, surrounded by cats and booze.

Getting McFuck over here might be difficult, but I'm not too far from you. You supply the cats and I'll bring the cake and fine wine.

Maybe I'll even make a special cherry popping cake for you. In the shape of some ladies special bits. Or is that taking the first time theme too far? :D
Ellietronic

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:48 pm

:? Well, the snowstorm completely buggered my attempts at a Withnail screening/cherry popping party last week, so I'm going to try again for this week. Since the hubby was home during the snow days, I let him off the hook watching it since I know he really doesn't dig it, and we watched more Dr. Who instead. I don't know about the rest of you, but watching any film (especially one you love past all reason) with someone who doesn't want to is just torture - on both sides. I'd rather watch it by myself than watch it with someone who's less than enthusiastic.

Am making inquiries into re-scheduling the screening with my friend on Wednesday. Here's hoping.
Making Time

PostPosted by oomska » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Making Time wrote:

Am making inquiries into re-scheduling the screening with my friend on Wednesday. Here's hoping.

Hope the planned manoeuvre goes to plan ..
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:44 pm

The friend in question just finished his college degree in computer programming, and is mounting a massive job hunt at the moment. He has accepted my invitation for Wednesday, with the caveat that if he recieves an offer for a job interview, that takes precedence. Sheesh, some people have their priorities so screwed up, eh? :wink:
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:17 pm

BALLS! Now they're calling for more snow TONIGHT which might screw up the W&I screening YET AGAIN. BASTARDS!!!! YOU'LL ALL SUFFERRRRRRR!!!!
Making Time

PostPosted by oomska » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Making Time wrote:The only thing as enjoyable as watching "Withnail & I" yet again is watching it with someone who has never watched it before. This thread is for stories about people you invited to watch it with you, and their opinions of it afterward.

I usually end up just borrowing my W&i DVD copy out to randoms and don`t normally end up on sprawled across somebodys lap trying to shove popcorn through their face hole whilst grinning inanely at the next anticipated scene, but I find that when I confront most people with W&i, mostly (friends work colleagues, patients, acquaintances, complete strangers, fleeing Taliban fighters) they generally have never heard of it and usually exclaim "what`s that film called again" then I imagine they go home and completely forget what i said and just end up watching that bollocks Me myself and Irene, so as I`m not the type to enforce my recommendations then I guess it`s their loss. :?

Though I did managed to convince my dad to walk the long muddy way around up to Crowcrag in 2008 after I coearsed him into watching W&I a few weeks earlier, after finishing his daily dose of Loose Women of course, I do remember him saying after completing the boggy, epic, trek "next time I visit I better wear some rubber boots" at the time he was 82 and seemed to have fanciful future expectations, I mean I don`t even bother buying him a calendar anymore. :oops: :P
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:35 am

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only did my friend make it over to my house for his very first viewing of W&I, we sat and analyzed the film for an hour and then watched the "Withnail & Us" extra (on the regular DVD) and I loaned him one of my copies of the screenplay so he can totally soak in the wonderful writing of Bruce Robinson regarding scenes that were not included in the movie, as well as the introduction where he talks about Vivian Mackerrell and makes me cry.

Ooomska, I am very OCD when it comes to watching movies with newbies. I never "anticipate" the scenes, I never laugh ahead of time or say the lines along with the characters... NEVER. The key to watching a movie that you love with someone who's never seen it before is to remain completely passive, completely still - and let them experience everything fully for themselves. This is why I hate introducing a movie to someone when there are other people around... they invariably start quoting lines before they come up in the movie, or laugh hysterically at some foreshadowing that the new person won't understand until later. I'm very, very sensitive to the first-time viewer.

I also pull down all the shades and turn off the phone, and refuse to allow any interruption whatsoever to the proceedings.

I declare today's cherry popping an unqualified success of the highest order!
Making Time

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:09 pm

This is why I`m probably best watching W&i on my own as I would not be able to keep the excitement and anticipation to myself (hence all the tissues) it must also be why I`m not allowed the remote control. :roll:

I guess your friend was a case of lucky number 7 by all accounts :thumbup: :D :D
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Return to Withnail and I