Is there such a thing as "overload"?

A place to come and say hello and hang around and converse.

Is there such a thing as "overload"?

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 am

I've watched W&I over a hundred times, and fully intend to go on doing so until I can no longer press the "play" button on whatever device we're watching films on in the future.

However.

I've noticed that if I watch it many times in a row without much lag time in between, I stop experiencing it properly... I start saying the lines along with the characters, then backing it up and playing the line again to make sure I got the accent right. I start pausing it and staring into the background, trying to see what that picture is on the wall behind someone in a room. I become unable to actually watch the film as a story unfolding - it becomes more like an amusement park for my brain.

Every once in a while I have to force myself to stop and take a break, let some time go by, so that when I watch it again I get the full experience of seeing it as a story, instead of picking out each detail.

Is it that way for anyone else?
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: Is there such a thing as "overload"?

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:28 am

After a while I started to watch it less often until now where I only tend to watch bits of it.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:27 pm

The first time I saw it I watched it about twice a week for months afterwards, I think the housemate that showed it to me regretted it slightly as I forced her to watch it over and over with me while we got stupidly drunk and shouted quotes at each other. If you're reading this, sorry Kelly. :lol:

I can only watch it once in a while now as I think I overdid it. Plus for personal reasons it now makes me cry, so I generally tend to avoid it. Still one of my favorite films ever though.

And I swear, one day I WILL own a proper Withnail coat. :thumbup:
Ellietronic

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Ellietronic wrote:And I swear, one day I WILL own a proper Withnail coat. :thumbup:

Amen, sistah!
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Ellietronic wrote:
I can only watch it once in a while now as I think I overdid it. Plus for personal reasons it now makes me cry, so I generally tend to avoid it. Still one of my favorite films ever though.

Intriguing

But I too only watch it every now and then. The first time watching W&I really struck a chord, but that was nearly 20 years ago. Never had such a strong emotional feeling towards the film since. I often wish there was some way of watching a film through fresh eyes again :|
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Making Time » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:23 am

Wrigglesworth wrote:I often wish there was some way of watching a film through fresh eyes again :|

You can get them at any good Asian grocery!

HINT: Wait for a 2-fer-1 sale!
Making Time

Return to The Crow and Crown