WHAT FUCKER PAINTED THAT???...

General chat about the film.

WHAT FUCKER PAINTED THAT???...

PostPosted by Making Time » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:21 am

This painting is being auctioned on ebay as we speak.

The artist is listed as "Jack Randolph Gavin II" - I googled him and can't find any mention of him anywhere. But that is DEFINITELY a brick under that headless chicken's arse. Granted, it's got plumper breasts and a sexy decolletage, but still... headless chicken on a brick, man.

He must have strangled it before it tried to make friends with him.

Painting currently for sale on ebay for $7,000.00

I also just looked up the gallery in upstate NY where this artist is supposedly being shown.... they have no such artist on their website.

I also looked up the "Jackrabbit Press" that he supposedly owns, and sent him an email including this photo AND a still from W&I of the chicken in the oven, asking him if this is just a coincidence or what. Will update if/when I hear back from him. He may not be the artist, he may just be a dude named Jack. We'll see what transpires.

*UPDATE* They listed "West End Gallery, Coming, New York" on the auction. The West End Gallery is in CORNING, NY - not "Coming". Wishful thinking, methinks. I think this auction is a complete hoax. In any case, I sent the gallery an email to ask if they've ever heard of Jack Randolph Gavin II. Will let you know what I hear.
Last edited by Making Time on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: WHAT FUCKER PAINTED THAT???...

PostPosted by Making Time » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 pm

**UPDATE**

Well, I got an email back from artist Jack Gavin! Yes, he's real. And yes, he painted that painting. Curiously, he has NEVER SEEN W&I. Seems impossible, but there it is. Here is the first email he sent me:

"Well I don't know how to explain that. Painted chicken in 1996 and had not seen the movie. Was however inspired by Bruce Kurland and Emil Carlsen. That is only one of a series of still life paintings containing skinned things. Chickens, ducks, bear, cow, and pig heads etc... Even though there were some few who liked that series, the galleries of course asked me to do more roses and flowers. I stopped showing in galleries when I started a printing company and did not have the time. I think they have the dates I was in those galleries.
I am getting back to painting and it feels very good. Trying to decide what gallery to approach.
You have a keen eye, that is quite an interesting still. I will have to watch the movie. Gives me a strange feeling seeing the image you sent, like deja vu yet not.
I am attaching two in that series if you would like to take a look.
Not often people like these paintings. Though I guess I don't know whether they disgust or intrigue you. I really enjoyed painting them.
I just got back from NY, enjoy your weather!
"

So... perhaps another Withnail fan on the horizon! In a later email, he confessed a love of Victrolas and vintage music (thinking of Uncle Monty in the "should we play another hand" scene)... I think he's destined to love this film.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Return to Withnail and I