Withnail Feat/Fest 2014

General chat about the film.

Withnail Feat/Fest 2014

PostPosted by Making Time » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Had a friend 'round last Friday for a Withnail blowout. All the prerequisite bevvies, plus pork pie, lamb (with garlic, rosemary, and salt), etc. What I can remember of it was brilliant.

... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: Withnail Feat/Fest 2014

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 am

OK… Let me try this…
Left to right:
Easy, two pints of cider, ice in the cider.
Two large gins.
Where's the whisky?

Ace bets two, and it's over to you. (Absinthe standing in for Pernod.)
We've just run out of wine, what are we going to do about it?
And another pair of pints!

Which leads me to conclude the mysterious bottle in the middle must be…
Sherry?
Sherry!
Sherry.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:51 am

I didn't know that you could get cider in the colonies.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by oomska » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 am

Very nice spread you have there . . . Now that lot would end up kicking my ass first then asking for my ID afterwards and later that evening through no fault of my own I might top the night off by waking up naked in the local Zoo`s Reptile house. :lol:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 am

You have that thing where you can get home however much you've had to drink too?

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:34 pm

crooked wrote:I didn't know that you could get cider in the colonies.

Oh, yes! We've got Angry Orchard, Original Sin, and loads of other microbrewery versions. It's just hit a sort of boom here in the States... they've even got it on offer at the regular grocery stores in the beer aisle now. If you go to the specialty or wholesale places, they have a much larger selection of brands, but so far Angry Orchard Traditional Dry is my favorite.

You will notice that the whisky on the tray is Johnny Walker Black Label - absolute rubbish, in my opinion (I like single malts like Balvenie Double Wood) but I wasn't about to waste the good stuff on this mashed-up tumble of drinks fest. I also never use the good stuff when it's going to be mixed with something. No, the single malt gets enjoyed very selectively, on its own, with just a bit of water to release the flavors.

The drinks I left out were the bloody mary (drunk by Uncle Monty) and the rum (which the proprietor of the Crow and Crown gets arseholed on before opening time) ... partly because I think the addition of these would definitely have made me sick, and partly because they were not drinks had by Withnail. Oh, and of course I left out the Ronsonol, because I'd like to live to see Withnail & I a few hundred more times at least.

As it was, I don't remember most of that night (but I was told we had a good time), but miraculously when I woke the next morning I didn't have even a smidgeon of a hangover. No headache, no nausea, nothing. I just felt a bit disconnected from everything... but no negative complaints whatsoever. Odd. I was terrified I'd be sick, because "you should never mix your drinks."
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Were my guesses right though?

Withwine and I

PostPosted by oomska » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Making Time wrote:
As it was, I don't remember most of that night (but I was told we had a good time), but miraculously when I woke the next morning I didn't have even a smidgeon of a hangover. No headache, no nausea, nothing. I just felt a bit disconnected from everything... but no negative complaints whatsoever. Odd. I was terrified I'd be sick, because "you should never mix your drinks."

If I drink Lager with spirits I always end up the following morning feeling like a Pig that feels like another larger more aggressive Pig has just shat in my head, but if I drink Cider followed by a good Port I`m fine the next day, the only down side is that my piss smells of Sugar puffs. :think: :drunk:

Have you added another convert to your growing list then? :thumbup:
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Withwine and I wrote:Were my guesses right though?

:wine: SPOT ON!!! Well done! :thumbup:
Making Time

Return to Withnail and I