Best copy of the film?

Talk about the DVD and VHS releases, posters and other merchandise related to the film.

Best copy of the film?

PostPosted by Terrible Cunt! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:16 pm

I understand there have been many releases of Withnail and I....i myself have a VHS copy and up until last year a dvd (until some swine "borrowed" it). I am feeling the need to watch the film again but really need to know which out of the many versions is the best quality and with the best extras?
The many times i have seen it i have always been slightly disapointed with the picture/sound quality....i presume this from being a cheap bastard and buying the cheapest copy/dodgy torrents.....
For instance how does the steel book version compare to the 20th anniversary edition?
Terrible Cunt!

Re: Best copy of the film?

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:11 pm

I only have two copies; The Criterion Collection (Anchor Bay) copy and a dodgy one burned by the former smoking beagle.

Selection is limited here in the colonies.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Terrible Cunt! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Ah ok....do you find the picture blurred (even when sober) and the audio a bit hit and miss?
Terrible Cunt!

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm

The best version is the one dubbed in German :D
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Terrible Cunt! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Ah yes i can believe that....
Terrible Cunt!

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Here's my ice in the cider:

The plain old Criterion DVD is the best content-wise, because it includes the best extras, especially the "Withnail & Us" extra that interviews Bruce Robinson, R.E.G., Paul McGann, Ralph Brown, plus casting guru Mary Selway (R.I.P.), and various fans and semi-celebs on the making of the film and its influence in their lives. There are parts of this that make me a little weepy, especially when Paul McGann is remembering the good old days making the film.

As far as actually viewing the movie, the Blu-Ray DVD version is far and away a better viewing experience. They've brightened and sharpened the picture, so you can actually see the stuff in the background, and they've tweaked the sound so that you can turn up the volume loud enough to hear the sometimes mumbly dialogue and properly enjoy Jimi Hendrix's screaming guitar.

It's beyond me why they didn't include the extras on the Blu-Ray, since the higher cost of a Blu-Ray disk usually means you get lots of other goodies on board...

Basically, when I watch it I keep both versions on hand - I watch the movie on Blu-Ray and then watch the extras on DVD.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Terrible Cunt! » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:08 pm

So is the Criterion DVD essential the same as the 20th anniversary edition in regards to extras?
I will definitely invest in the blu ray version and a player to watch it on....as i said before the picture/sound quality ive seen before lets the film down....
Terrible Cunt!

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Just did a search on the 20th Anniversary edition, and according to the UK Amazon site, it not only contains the extra "Withnail & Us" but also a new interview with Bruce Robinson ("new" being relative, of course)... and some other stuff that's not on the DVD I have. Sounds like a good choice for extras... best viewing experience is still the Blu-Ray. Why the fuckers couldn't bother to put the extras on the Blu-Ray is beyond me, but there you have it.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Return to The Merchandise