Have you ever...

A place to come and say hello and hang around and converse.

Have you ever...

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 am

Have you ever reenacted a scene from "Withnail & I" in real life? I don't mean have you acted out a scene, but done something that the boys did in the film, only in real life?

Tonight, on the way home from our favorite Korean restaurant, after I drank a lot of delicious Soju (rice wine) with my meal (hubby was driving, he doesn't drink at all)... I saw a few students sitting on the grass outside a college, with their bicycles parked next to them. My window was already rolled down, so I just leaned out the window and bellowed "SCRUBBERRRRRRRRS! SCRUBBERRRRRRRRS!" as loud as I could.

This being a) New York, b) Long Island, and c) 2014, those kids had absolutely NO idea what was happening. I'd be willing to bet that not only had they not ever seen "Withnail & I" in their short lifetimes, neither had their parents or anyone in their families.

One of them had been lying down, and he bolted upright, and he and his three buddies looked at me in shock and awe. I would describe their expressions as a) "WTF? We weren't doing ANYTHING wrong!" b) "What the fuck is wrong with you?" and c) "This is the kind of shit our parents warned us about."

After my husband recovered his grip on the steering wheel (he hadn't been warned ahead of time that I was going to do this), I started to laugh until the tears rolled down my face. I laughed for the entire ride home - my stomach muscles were absolutely aching from laughing.

I completely advise trying this on your next ride through whatever town you live in. Just make sure you're far enough away from your house that they can't track you down.

... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: Have you ever...

PostPosted by oomska » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Making Time wrote:
Tonight, on the way home from our favorite Korean restaurant, after I drank a lot of delicious Soju (rice wine) with my meal (hubby was driving, he doesn't drink at all)... I saw a few students sitting on the grass outside a college, with their bicycles parked next to them. My window was already rolled down, so I just leaned out the window and bellowed "SCRUBBERRRRRRRRS! SCRUBBERRRRRRRRS!" as loud as I could.

What you meant ...

What they thought ...

Must have got lost in the transatlantic, though let`s not get into shag, rubber, fanny or even pants hamper !!
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

Return to The Crow and Crown