Another new addition to the Wall-O-Withnail!

A place to come and say hello and hang around and converse.

Another new addition to the Wall-O-Withnail!

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:58 pm

"Captain of the Eleven"

Seen just before Uncle Monty threatens Marwood with burglary:

... and again just after

This find was the result of an extremely fortunate and fateful pausing of the movie to go get either
more popcorn or more sherry. Probably sherry. I staggered back to the couch to hit play, and my
eye was caught by the framed photo on the wall behind Uncle Monty (first photo). Squinting, I said
to myself "Bugger me if that doesn't look like a cricket player." How I would know this, as I live in
New York and have never seen a game of cricket in my life, is beyond me... I can only vaguely guess
it's all that BBC I watch.

I Googled "oil painting boy playing cricket" and immediately hit upon this painting by Philip Hermogenes Calderon.
I was ecstatic - but my jaw nearly hit the floor when I read this description of the painting: "Handsome portrait
of a young boy in front of a wicket with his bat straight to the ground in a defensive pose."

I mean - look at Marwood in the second photo. If he's not a young man with his bat pointing straight to
the ground, and if that isn't a defensive pose, I don't know what is!

This portrait is only visible in the film for about a second and a half each time... so the fact that I paused
the DVD at exactly that moment, identified and found a copy of the portrait, and the fact that it was apparently
chosen to perfectly fit this scene is bloody flippin' AMAZING.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Re: Another new addition to the Wall-O-Withnail!

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:39 pm

and the lovely cap of Marwood in his smalls just adds to the moment!
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

Re: Another new addition to the Wall-O-Withnail!

PostPosted by Areyoupublished ? » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:51 pm

I shall never play the Dane
Areyoupublished ?

Return to The Crow and Crown