Arrow DVD Thing

Talk about the DVD and VHS releases, posters and other merchandise related to the film.

Re: Arrow DVD Thing

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:49 am

GOT IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup: Pro: They spelled my name right on the personalized cover. No one EVER spells my name right.

:thumbdown: Con: The book that comes along with it is very nicely put together, but fairly pointless - mostly repeating stuff I already knew, with pictures I've already seen. One of the articles includes the incorrect quote "two gins and two pints, please". Anyone who's seen the film more than twice knows it's suppsed to be "two large gins, two pints of cider - ice in the cider." Get it right, people.

:thumbup: Pro: They included the extras I love from the old DVD, plus more extras that I've never seen before - a very cool one about Bruce Robinson and his writing ups and downs, filmed in part at his beautiful house in the country.

:thumbdown: Con: There's this huge opening announcement screen that comes on when you watch the movie, about how Arrow Films re-mastered, re-digitized, re-colored, re-imagined, re-applied lube, basically patting themselves on the back that they turned the movie into a superstellar viewing experience.... and then the movie starts, and it looks and sounds EXACTLY like the non-Arrow Blu-Ray I already have. The night scenes, like when they park next to Uncle Monty's car, and when Uncle Monty comes into Marwood's room, look like a snowstorm - absolutely no difference from the other Blu-Ray disc. I'm aware that it's impossible to do miracles with old film - you can only improve things so much when they were not filmed digitally to begin with - but then why do they put up three minutes of announcements of how amazingly they've changed the way the picture looks and sounds? They really haven't. Whoever remastered and digitized the first Blu-Ray did all the work, because that really was leaps and bounds better than the old standard DVD version, which you couldn't even hear properly.

:thumbup: Pro: I like the option to listen to Bruce Robinson's voice over while watching the film.

:thumbdown: Con: He talks more about himself and what he was going through during the time of the filming, rather than talking specifically about the actors and the process of filming the movie scene by scene. I really wanted to hear the behind-the-scenes memories, like "Oh yes, the day we filmed this scene, Ralph Brown had eaten beans and toast for breakfast, and that really put the wind up everyone on set"...

:thumbup: Pro: It's a personalized, numbered, one-of-a-kind box set that I'm thrilled to have in my Withnail collection.

:thumbdown: Con (sort of): I'm a little puzzled why they felt they had to cram in the disc of "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" with this box set. I am a Withnail fan. There are a lot of other movies I also enjoy, but I don't want them in my Withnail box set. I've never seen this other movie, and I don't necessarily care to. It feels as if they've cheapened the Withnail-ness of the box set by trying to cram another movie down my throat. I'm tempted not to watch it out of spite.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:06 am

crooked wrote:I can't believe you people gave these cunts your money.

Why should anyone miss out on a special limited edition re-release box set of Withnail & I just because you are mad at Arrow Film? What absolute twaddle.

P.S. I didn't "give" anyone my money. I made a purchase, and got an awesome box set in return.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:42 am

GOT IT, Me to. Now in the cupboard with all the other tatt.
Chin Chin Soupy.

haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by onceuponatyne » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:15 am

"Making Time" gave some really good thoughts on the new set above, just wanted to add my reactions to them.

:thumbup: Pro: They spelled my name right on the personalized cover. No one EVER spells my name right.

Epic! I guess this is because you spelt it though - but well done them for not screwing it up. As a "Wilton" I'm always pleased when I'm not wrongly altered to a "Wilson". :D

:thumbdown: Con: The book that comes along with it is very nicely put together, but fairly pointless - mostly repeating stuff I already knew, with pictures I've already seen. One of the articles includes the incorrect quote "two gins and two pints, please". Anyone who's seen the film more than twice knows it's suppsed to be "two large gins, two pints of cider - ice in the cider." Get it right, people.

I don't know if it's fair to give it a total thumbs down for the book. It isn't amazing, it contained very little that I hadn't already read elsewhere - but it's a nice little thing. It's quite smart and houses the discs nicely, though that in itself won't be ideal for many. I've taken the discs out of mine and put them in another case to reduce wear and tear.

:thumbup: Pro: They included the extras I love from the old DVD, plus more extras that I've never seen before - a very cool one about Bruce Robinson and his writing ups and downs, filmed in part at his beautiful house in the country.

The extras are really good. It's a little disappointing that we've somehow lost one of the audio commentaries from the last blu-ray (looks like I'll have to keep that one too). As someone who works with encoding DVDs, I can tell you that the amount of space an audio track takes up is absolutely minute, so it must be a rights/cost thing. The extras that are there are fantastic and praise the lord that they've kept Bruce's commentary on there. :wink:

:thumbdown: Con: There's this huge opening announcement screen that comes on when you watch the movie, about how Arrow Films re-mastered, re-digitized, re-colored, re-imagined, re-applied lube, basically patting themselves on the back that they turned the movie into a superstellar viewing experience.... and then the movie starts, and it looks and sounds EXACTLY like the non-Arrow Blu-Ray I already have. The night scenes, like when they park next to Uncle Monty's car, and when Uncle Monty comes into Marwood's room, look like a snowstorm - absolutely no difference from the other Blu-Ray disc. I'm aware that it's impossible to do miracles with old film - you can only improve things so much when they were not filmed digitally to begin with - but then why do they put up three minutes of announcements of how amazingly they've changed the way the picture looks and sounds? They really haven't. Whoever remastered and digitized the first Blu-Ray did all the work, because that really was leaps and bounds better than the old standard DVD version, which you couldn't even hear properly.

It is massively improved. The visuals are so much crisper and the new level of detail you can see is really quite suprising. The trouble is, part of making the film crisper and clearer reveals more of the "hiss" and "snow" of the original film. Where earlier editions would have a slight blur over this (akin to squinting your eyes to get a slight soft look), that no longer applies. This means the scenes in lamp light, or darkness, are very snow-laiden indeed. In the case of this film, I think it's part of the charm and I welcome it. It isn't possible to get around this, short of some CGI or frame by frame painting. The sound too is greatly improved.

It does need pointing out that the leap from the old DVD to the old Blu-ray will have seemed huge. Virtually all of that though is attributable to the format change. On DVD, you are watching a highly compressed version of the film. The leap in sound and video quality between the too is massive, but then a blu-ray holds just under six times as much data.

:thumbup: Pro: I like the option to listen to Bruce Robinson's voice over while watching the film.

Amen brother! :D

:thumbdown: Con: He talks more about himself and what he was going through during the time of the filming, rather than talking specifically about the actors and the process of filming the movie scene by scene. I really wanted to hear the behind-the-scenes memories, like "Oh yes, the day we filmed this scene, Ralph Brown had eaten beans and toast for breakfast, and that really put the wind up everyone on set"...

I'm not going to tell the great man what to say... I love the commentary.
:thumbup: Pro: It's a personalized, numbered, one-of-a-kind box set that I'm thrilled to have in my Withnail collection.

It is very cool.

:thumbdown: Con (sort of): I'm a little puzzled why they felt they had to cram in the disc of "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" with this box set. I am a Withnail fan. There are a lot of other movies I also enjoy, but I don't want them in my Withnail box set. I've never seen this other movie, and I don't necessarily care to. It feels as if they've cheapened the Withnail-ness of the box set by trying to cram another movie down my throat. I'm tempted not to watch it out of spite.

Agreed. It has a home here due to the links with Withnail, but it is a different film altogether. I'm pleased for the bonus but I'd have traded it for other Withnail goodness, all unified in one box. :thumbup:
onceuponatyne

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Since onceuponatyne took the time and made the effort to reply so thoroughly to my post, I will do the same. 8)

Epic! I guess this is because you spelt it though - but well done them for not screwing it up. As a "Wilton" I'm always pleased when I'm not wrongly altered to a "Wilson". :D

I've always spelled my name for other people (because it's weird) and they almost never get it right, even when it's written down. They always want to stick extra letters in all over the place. Kudos to Arrow for getting it right!

I don't know if it's fair to give it a total thumbs down for the book. It isn't amazing, it contained very little that I hadn't already read elsewhere - but it's a nice little thing. It's quite smart and houses the discs nicely, though that in itself won't be ideal for many. I've taken the discs out of mine and put them in another case to reduce wear and tear.

I'm not really hating on the book - I mean, physically, it's lovely. Well put together, very pretty. I was just hoping for a lot of new information that I hadn't already read elsewhere, and not necessarily just other people's opinions of the movie. I have my own opinions, I was hoping for more behind the scenes facts and photos.

It is massively improved... The leap in sound and video quality between the too is massive...

As someone who regularly watches this movie a few times a week (since 2012) I have to say I don't notice any difference whatsoever between the Blu-Ray that I already had, and the Blu-Ray in this box set. Massive difference between the regular DVD and the first Blu-Ray, as we both agree, but I honestly don't see any further improvements with the Arrow Blu-Ray. Because you insist there's a difference, I will take both discs and put them in one after the other and see if I can detect it with immediate comparison.

Amen brother! :D

I'm a "sister", not a mister. :lol:

I'm not going to tell the great man what to say... I love the commentary.

I enjoy listening to Bruce, too - but there are loads of interviews and stuff already out where he talks about his life, etc. I was sort of hoping a voice-over for the film would be about the film. Listening to it, I got the sense that Bruce either didn't get the point of voice-over, or didn't want to do it. He goes silent for longish periods of time, and the interviewer keeps trying to get him talking about the film. Then he goes off on tangents, and the interviewer tries to bring him back on topic. Maybe it was recorded after he'd had a couple bottles of wine, dunno. My review was really about the box set as a Withnail-centric item, not a review of Bruce himself. I love Bruce! But in a Withnail box set, I want all Withnail, all the time. :)
Making Time

Previous

Return to The Merchandise