sad trip to crow crag

Post your pics and stories of your visits to the various locations from the film.

sad trip to crow crag

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:00 pm

i went to sleddale hall yesterday. the weather, a howling fucking gale, put paid to my plans to canoe wet sleddale reservoir, so i walked up, oer the fish shooting bridgae and up to the crag,

what i found was a bit annoying. many of us have been to the hall, and many have even been inside, and i include myself in this. but the ammount of damage to the place i found was quite sad. the floors upstairs are as rotten and dangerous as they ever were, but downstairs has suffered from the number of visitors who seem intent on having a delightful weekend in the country, and then leaving all their shit behind.

when i first went inside, it was to look round, take some pictures and see what it was like. i never had an intention of causing any actual physical damage to the buildings structure or interior.

but now its littered with cans bottles and bags of rubbish. there are also oil lamps and dozens of candles, indicating that people have spent the night there. in the understairs pantry there are bags of crap, pairs of shoes, more bottles, more cans, more candles etc etc. even in the kitchen there are picnic chairs a kettle, xmas trimmings newspapers and all manner of other crap, food tins, etc. the boards have been wrenched off the downstairs window, and someone has even kicked one of the panels out of the front door,

we all like to write our names on the front door. but thats the extent of my personal involvement, but the behavior of some visitors is just out of order. the first time i went inside, there was some element of mystery and dereliction about the place. now it just looks like some squalid fucking squat. why go to all the effort of carting full bottles up the hill, but not bother to take the emptys back down? twats!

im also slightly concerned by the number of fires that have been lit there, displaying that every fireplace seems to have had one lit in it lately. perhaps its only a matter of time before the whole place burns to the ground. but, as the cult appeal of the film increases, i suspect its going to become a drinking weekend destination more and more. theres already so little left, it would be a shame to lose the rest of it to a discarded candle .

incidentally, i wonder if this is a remnant of the filming. in the film, the house has what looks like stone details on all the external wall corners, these were actually plaster and stuck on, for what i assume was an effect of some grandeur. them being made of plaster indicates that they weren features originally found on the building, as plaster wouldnt be expected to last more than a few weeks, but enough for filming. all the plaster blocks have long since gone, removed no doubt after filming.
except for one of them, high up on the wall at the far end of the building. its delicate ow having been battered by the elements, but, it clings on. just!!!

i was quite saddened by the state of it all, and all i can do is implore any of us who visit to take our rubbish away, and leave it empty for us all to enjoy. ive no problem with adding to the names and quotes on the door, which, lets face it is just a sheet of ply anyway, and the writing fades as the weather gets to it. but lighting fires inside, and damaging the walls and woodwork is out of order.
as the old addage says, take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:24 pm

very sad - do you think fixing the roof only made this problem worse? seems like it made it more hospitable for those intent on camping out.

I wonder when someone will install a fucking jukebox.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:52 pm

i think youre right. i would never have dreamed of staying inside for more than a quick visit because the place was in such a state. the roof, whilst being a quite makeshift job, has helped ther house to dry out a lot. certainly all the upstairs floors arent dripping wet now, which explains perhaps why theyre now crumbling. but if its a howling fucking gale outside, and you can stay indoors, its tempting for those who want to. whilst im not too happy about that, its not to bad if you clean up after yourself. but to leave your shit round the place is just fucking out of order. to me thats saying, "ive had my fun weekend here, but now fuck anyone else, im going to leave the place full of bottles and cans cos its not mine".
and as theres only one functioning fireplace, lighting fires elsewhere is why the walls are so stained with soot as the smoke just cant escape.
also, theres a serious structural problem with the part of the building over the main door. its now leaning out by probably 8 to 10 inches and without some serious structural repairs or shoring up, this wall will definately be down within the next few years. i just hope there isnt some muppet pissed and asleep in the front room at the time.
jeff wode

PostPosted by Parkin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:23 am

A previous member was responsible for the Xmas decorations, possibly a couple of the chairs and the candles. He seemed like a decent bloke, so I doubt he is responsible for all the crap in there. But he did have a fire in the working fireplace which still shocked me.
I can't understand how stupid people could be to light a fire in the upstairs fireplaces !! They are basically unusable. Much more of that type of stupid behaviour will result in steel panels over all the windows and doors like the type you see on council estates !
Why the hell did someone put a quote on the fence post next to the bridge,..?? It's not even the 'Bull sceen' gate !! It just makes us fans look like vandalising cunts !!

BTW Jeff, what was on the plaque (sp) on the door ?? It seems to be covering up part of our address :?

p.s. Great pictures btw. :wink:
Danny's here. Milf Hunter to his friends. Milf Hunter to everybody

one of my fav lines from the film ;-)
Parkin

PostPosted by jeff wode » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:25 pm

plaque was a wooden board with "here hare here" machined into it!! theres a lot of pointless vandalism in there. ive even found someone else who claims to be jeff wode has scratched his name into the wall inside, though i cant find the pic i took. if i could find him i would pull his head off cos i dont like his head!!
there are also a lot of carrier bags of emptys in the shed next door o the house, opposite the gate to mntys veg patch, the gate has also now gone, its quite sad really. when i compare it with the photos i have from 5 or so years ago, the new roof seems to have made things worse!!
jeff wode

PostPosted by Parkin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:36 pm

The porch over the door looks in worse shape than last time,.. I wouldn't risk standing under it.
Danny's here. Milf Hunter to his friends. Milf Hunter to everybody

one of my fav lines from the film ;-)
Parkin

PostPosted by Lee » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:16 pm

We should get in there and do a group tidy up - very thorough - then guard the fucker at weekends on rotation. Seriously.

Also, hello. I'm not sure my introduction merits a thread of it's own. I found this forum via a YouTube comment whilst very bored.
Lee

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:30 am

welcome Lee. sit down and find your neutral space.

as for Crow Crag, my fingers absolutely ITCH to buy it and fix it up.
McFuck

PostPosted by Lee » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 am

Beautiful thought. Any clue as to who holds the deeds?
Lee

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:34 pm

hey we managed to cough up enough money to keep the forum going another year, maybe we should start a collection to buy Crow Crag.
McFuck

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:40 pm

as far as im aware, sleddale hall belongs to untied utilities, (formerly north west water) theyve owned much of the land and farms in the area since the reservoir and dam were built some decades back. it was u/u who paid to have the new roof put on the place in 2006. thats why the keep out signs are on u/u designs. it was mentioned about 3 years ago that they would have sold for an offer in the region of 180 grand. however, property prices have spiralled since, and anyone who has been there will know that there are access issues to be sorted with the owner of the farm next door, as you need to cross his land to get any vehicular access to the building. its also not clear how much land comes with the property and outbuildings, or even whether all the outbuildings come with the sale.
jeff wode

PostPosted by Horrorshow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 pm

First and foremost I will say; scrote cunts. Although none of you have mentioned that someone in need of shelter was dossing there, which may justify a fire (to keep alive until morning) in the designated area, though not at all the grot-cock garbage lousiness apparent from the pictures. Though this could just be a contrived ruse from Jeff Wode to instigate an extreme whip-round. Such a strong specimen could easily haul such junk and detritus up a hill while maintaining a dastardly baritone guffaw.
Horrorshow

PostPosted by Horrorshow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm

First and foremost I will say; scrote cunts. Although none of you have mentioned that someone in need of shelter was dossing there, which may justify a fire (to keep alive until morning) in the designated area, though not at all the grot-cock garbage lousiness apparent from the pictures. Though this could just be a contrived ruse from Jeff Wode to instigate an extreme whip-round. Such a strong specimen could easily haul such junk and detritus up a hill while maintaining a dastardly baritone guffaw. And secondly hello to Lee.
Horrorshow

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:41 pm

damn you horrorshow, youve foiled my plan to buy the place and install a fucking jukebox, now i will have to go and take it all back home again, ah well, here we go, "i like to go a wanderin' along the mountain track,,,,,,,,,"
jeff wode

PostPosted by erimus66 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 pm

went over there from home (stockton on tees - richard griffiths home town also!!)

I want to post some pix of the visit (how do I post them directly on here??), there is a video on you tube too

IS it unusual to drive all the way to the cottage as I did??????
most people seem to do the walk around the resevoir in that dreadful mud and umska!!
Last edited by erimus66 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erimus66

Next

Return to Locations, see?