Bastards Who Hate their Success

Talk about Bruce Robinson here.

Bastards Who Hate their Success

PostPosted by The Dane » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:24 am

That video clip where Bruce Robinson seems to be burdened by the success of Withnail is ridiculous (or is it "rocockulous"?). Reminds me of George Harrison being all dour because he was in a little band called The Beatles. Seems kinda whiny. Me no like.
The Dane

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:50 am

I can see your point, but I think he wishes some one would ask to talk about his other projects.

or maybe he's just a whiny cunt.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:24 pm

I understand where he is coming from.

How would you feel if everyone you met continually asked you about that last, legendary month at school---for the rest of your life?
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:45 pm

An artist is only answerable to him or herself, so for an earlier work to keep being thrust upon you it's easy to see how it might become a burden (even if the cheques keep coming in). Robinson doesn't owe me anything for loving this film, so I feel no resentment at his frustration. On the other hand, the fact that he's had so many false starts on other projects it's tempting to accuse him of sour grapes (and if it was The Killing Fields that everyone kept wittering on about he'd be even more pissed off!). Like so many more before him, he's all too aware that he'll doubtless be remembered for one film above all - and one that was written a long time ago.
Pod's Ennui

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 pm

I think he is most pissed off about what happened after he made W&I. My brother had a long chat with Richard Griffiths a few months ago and he told him that one of the accounts at Handmade Films pretty much embezzled all the profits and they were forced to sell the rights to a Canadian company, thus ensuring that every single person involved with the film (including Bruce) never saw another penny.

Had it not been for the fan worship that has grown over the last twenty odd years, anyone involved with the film would probably have washed their hands of it a long, long time ago.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:45 am

It's certainly enough to make anyone feel embittered, and I'm sure, in that respect, the adoration for the film has been a real boon (if a mixed blessing, and one that only throws into stark relief the shenanigans you've outlined).
Pod's Ennui

Return to The Writer/Director