Vivian 'Withnail' MacKerrell: Ghost Story [1974]

Talk about R.E.G, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths and the others here

Vivian 'Withnail' MacKerrell: Ghost Story [1974]

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:25 pm

You probably knew this already, but in case you didn't, a DVD transfer of the film Ghost Story (a.k.a. Madhouse Mansion) [1974], starring Vivian 'Withnail' MacKerrell, was made available some time ago by imdb poster 'nakedcitizens1':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071791/board/flat/34043743

Having said that, I hear it's shite. Still, here's the man himself in said film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW_QIWgSWJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmt2cc6zjdM

If that doesn't float ya boat, there's always the lego versions of some rather well-known scenes from Withnail and I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WCbGptXz-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44pRqwznsas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Bd8oy1v7U
Last edited by Pod's Ennui on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pod's Ennui

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Shame the transfer is so shite.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Pod's Ennui

Re: Vivian 'Withnail' MacKerrell: Ghost Story [1974]

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Just received this:

http://www.list.co.uk/article/21949-ghost-story/

Even I'm not that obsessive enough to want to watch it.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:55 pm

I must admit: I'm tempted. Not least because I'm a big Marianne Faithfull fan and I had no idea about the Ron Geesin score.

And a 2-disc edition? Whooda thunk it?
Pod's Ennui

PostPosted by Lostat » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:44 am

Listening to Vivian speaking in the first clip, I'm impressed to hear how close REG got his voice in W&I.
"The gene pool could use a little chlorine"
Lostat

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:46 pm

'I don't go to cricket.'
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:40 am

So glad I found this forum! Didn't know this existed. Just bought a copy. Now all I have to do is find someone who can copy it on a disc that plays in the US... or maybe I can buy a Brit DVD player and use a converter plug... I'll figure something out.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am

You could probably watch it on a computer or you could rip it with Handbrake or you could use DVD Shrink to remove the region code and then burn it to a new disk.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks! I'll try and see what I can do.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:58 pm

Received the dvd... and then found a PAL/Region 2 dvd player by Panasonic online for $60, so I ordered it. Now I can finally start getting a decent British film collection going! There are so many great dvds that only come in Region 2. Next on my list is "Parade's End". Love me some Cumberbatch!
Making Time

PostPosted by Making Time » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Just watched "Ghost Story". Absolutely awful as a film - it was all over the place and the most un-scary thing I've ever seen. Basically they put a doll in a lot of different places, and hold it to make it look like it's pulling back a curtain or opening a suitcase. Yawn.

However - was very interesting to see Viv Mackerrell in action. Got to see him nearly naked (not, however, in a corner) and hear what his voice sounded like. He reminded me a lot of Thomas Jane in "Original Sin", actually. Lovely to look at and listen to.

Vivian Mackerrell

Thomas Jane

The beginning rather reminded me of W&I... three, instead of two, blokes going off for a weekend in the country at someone else's house, finding it all ramshackle and rundown, and being miserable for a few days together. All it was missing was the absolute magic that is Bruce Robinson's script and direction, and the casting guru Mary Selway. In other words, everything.

But I bought it to experience Vivian, and he did not disappoint.

Actually, the second disc of "extras" was pretty cool. Lots of weird 60's short films, and an amusingly detailed "behind the scenes" extra on the making of "Ghost Story"... it almost made me feel bad, the way they were going on and on about it like it was the best film ever made, telling all these little details about stuff that happened during filming. How Marianne Faithfull was off her head on drugs the entire shoot, how this one and that one had the stomach flu because they were shooting in India, how one actor couldn't drive the car properly because it was "double clutched", how the inmates of the asylum were actually a bunch of hippies from a nearby commune (absolutely no surprise there - they looked like exactly that). Come to think of it, watching the behind the scenes bit was more entertaining than the film itself.
Making Time

PostPosted by Some Scrubber » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:09 am

As a fan of ghost stories in general, I found this curious film before I was aware who Vivian MacKerrell was. It's true the general premise of the story of some posh blokes going on holiday had me thinking of W&I and before long we realised the connection. We guessed which one was the 'Withnail' character quite easily, a certain rudeness and haughtiness giving him away.

By any means it's not a classic, but if you enjoy obscure British film - the way they don't make them now - I would seek it out. It isn't scary or captivating, but it opens a window just like any half decent fiction must.

It's out there as a torrent download, and any self respecting Withnail obsessive should have it. 8)
Legium pro Britannia
Some Scrubber

PostPosted by Some Scrubber » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:21 pm

I just watched Ghost Story again and I can say I really enjoyed it this time. It is absorbing, with a certain charm, and well cast. There are some very interesting sequences and indeed some very macabre and unsettling moments. :thumbup:
Legium pro Britannia
Some Scrubber

PostPosted by Making Time » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:31 pm

So far this movie is the only DVD I've watched on my new "no region" player. Anyone have any other good suggestions for UK-only DVDs that I can score and watch?
Making Time

Return to The Thespians