My australian girlfriend just watched it......

General chat about the film.

IS WITHNAIL AND I JUST A COUPLE OF WHINGING POMS?

YES
25%
NO
75%

Total votes : 20

Re: My australian girlfriend just watched it......

PostPosted by crooked » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Yes.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm interested in what you have to say about it. I've been off for about a year. Keep thinking of coming back. But then remember how annoying it can be sometimes; especially when they force you to do certain things - like Timeline, or crap like that.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by crooked » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 pm

I would be lying if I said I don't visit Facebook with some degree of regularity but I don't like how they try and make you have one huge social circle of everyone you know. Not everyone I know would get on with everyone else I know. I know people online and in real life and the two should never meet. Some of my real life friends would hate some of my other real life friends. Same with online types.

There was a time when only mental weirdos went on the Internet. Now every normal Tom Dick and Harry is here and I point the blame firmly at Facebook.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:14 am

I still like it, in small doses. I can keep up with family a lot easier than with the traditional grapevine or annual family reunion.

I also get laughs from the cartoons that people post. :lol:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 am

McFuck wrote:I still like it, in small doses. I can keep up with family a lot easier than with the traditional grapevine or annual family reunion.

I also get laughs from the cartoons that people post. :lol:

Stop recruiting for your evil cult! :x

Back on topic, we can't blame Australians for their inability to understand or appreciate a film like Withnail and I. For one thing, the UK conducted several nuclear tests in Australia in the 1950's and 60's, and the fallout has been eating away at their brains ever since.
Radiation aside, this degradation of intelligence and culture is just what happens to British descendants who are kept out of the rain for too long. This is the reason Australia is somewhere between Britain and America on the cultural/evolutionary scale.

Us true, born n' bred Brits understand the film because we're less irradiated, and generally far more civilized, intelligent and cultured types, like. (Just because we've apparently been eating horses thinking they were cows for years doesn't mean anything... :oops: )

I just find it hilarious that we found a way to repeatedly nuke Australia without even having the decency to declare war first. Luckily it seems they still haven't sobered up enough to notice...
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:08 pm

no, its a couple of whinging poms and a queer fellah who wants to take them up the backwoods
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by oomska » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Silage Heap wrote:
I just find it hilarious that we found a way to repeatedly nuke Australia without even having the decency to declare war first. Luckily it seems they still haven't sobered up enough to notice...

Well said ...... found this on line..

"Following the 'Mosaic' tests in mid-1956 in, which involved the detonation of two weapons at the Monte Bello site, the British testing program in Australia was confined to the mainland. Four 'Buffalo' tests were conducted at Maralinga in September and October 1956, and three 'Antler' explosions were detonated there the following year.

Each of these explosions generated considerable radioactivity, by means of the initial nuclear reaction and the through dispersion of radioactive particulate colloquially known as 'fallout'. In addition to British scientific and military personnel, thousands of Australians were exposed to radiation produced by the tests. These included not only those involved in supporting the British testing program, but also Aboriginal people living downwind of the test sites, and other Australians more distant who came into contact with airborne radioactivity."

Which goes to prove the west really does not give a shit what it does downwind with peoples lives.

So should we really be worried about Iran and now North Korea which the US are now poking unnessecerily with their massive nuclear tipped stick, fuck off and leave well alone.
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:58 pm

oomska wrote:
Silage Heap wrote:

Well said ...... found this on line..

"Following the 'Mosaic' tests in mid-1956 in, which involved the detonation of two weapons at the Monte Bello site, the British testing program in Australia was confined to the mainland. Four 'Buffalo' tests were conducted at Maralinga in September and October 1956, and three 'Antler' explosions were detonated there the following year.

Each of these explosions generated considerable radioactivity, by means of the initial nuclear reaction and the through dispersion of radioactive particulate colloquially known as 'fallout'. In addition to British scientific and military personnel, thousands of Australians were exposed to radiation produced by the tests. These included not only those involved in supporting the British testing program, but also Aboriginal people living downwind of the test sites, and other Australians more distant who came into contact with airborne radioactivity."

Which goes to prove the west really does not give a shit what it does downwind with peoples lives.

So should we really be worried about Iran and now North Korea which the US are now poking unnessecerily with their massive nuclear tipped stick, fuck off and leave well alone.

Sickening, isn't it? And very sad that people on this site seem to think grammar and spelling is a more important issue to argue and bitchfight about than these real, deadly problems the human race is facing. I understand the need to have a refuge from reality, but not at this expense. The psychopaths who call themselves our leaders truly don't give a shit, and no decent person should ever sink to that level.
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:29 pm

I concur. We're either going out in a blaze of nuclear glory or all gonna die of the bird flu. :puke:

I despair. :cry:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by sproutingfeelers » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

You're all nuts, worrying about a knob on the other side of the world. It won't affect you. The real thing you've got to worry about is how much gold you can get hold of before the system crashes. How are you going to feed your family?
sproutingfeelers

PostPosted by crooked » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 am

Bitcoins.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Making Time » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:51 am

1. Regarding the girlfriend who doesn't like Withnail.... um, well... I'm sure she has lots of other really great qualities (here's hoping).

2. Regarding the bashing of folks who are not from London/British on this site: I've decided to just ignore it. People that don't realize that every individual merits their own evaluation just don't merit attention themselves. Prejudice is like someone salting food before they taste it ... it serves to illuminate their ignorance.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Previous

Return to Withnail and I