USA VHS/Laserdisc artwork -help needed please

Talk about the DVD and VHS releases, posters and other merchandise related to the film.

USA VHS/Laserdisc artwork -help needed please

PostPosted by Tea Shop Proprietor » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Hello fellow Withnail fans! Cool site you have here :) I love every frame of Withanil & I, but that's not why I came here really...

I'm looking for help with obtaining the original UK VHS cover for W&I. A good quality scan would be fine or I can buy the tape/cover if someone might want to sell it.

I run a fansite site about Cannon "Invasion USA" Films (did you think Chuck Norris would be mentioned here? :shock:) and that's the video cover -"Cannon Video"- I'm after and not the small box retail one (actually controlled by MGM through Warner) as featured on my site http://www.cannon.org.uk/withnail.htm And if there's anything you'd like to add to that page or correct something please let me know.

I doubt you'll find much of interest on the site for Withnail fans unless you happen to love Withnail and that film company of course :D

I'll put a thank you on my site too for anyone who can help with the scan.

And since I'm here as a fucking scrounger, I must post my favourite line from the film: "Come on lads, let's get home, the sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall and we shall be forced to camp. ". Beautiful film.

Any fine fellow out there help?
Last edited by Tea Shop Proprietor on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tea Shop Proprietor

PostPosted by smallrhesusneg.bloodyMary » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:31 am

I love that line, too---in fact, I love all of Uncle Monty's lines. What a shame 'they' wouldn't pay him to do a commentary, as I just read on your Cannon site. I bet Richard Griffiths could have done a fascinating commentary, and if he did it in character it would have been priceless.

I can't help you with your search for the original cover, as I am not in the UK. But i have enjoyed looking at your site!

Chin-chin!
The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts, prostitutes for the bees.
smallrhesusneg.bloodyMary

PostPosted by Horrorshow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:59 pm

I take it whoever wanted the scan got it, because it's on their site.

http://www.cannonfilms.co.uk/webposters ... 0I%20(1987)%20%5BUK%20VHS%20small%20box%5D.jpg

For anyone else who wants it. Worth a look.
Horrorshow

PostPosted by Tea Shop Proprietor » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Nope, that's not the one. Unbroken link for the small box/retail release http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2316 ... allcr1.jpg

The one I'm after is the rental cover from "Cannon Video". Amazed nobody here's got it. If anyone can help with a scan please drop me an email cannonfilms@mail.com

Cheers.
Tea Shop Proprietor

PostPosted by Tea Shop Proprietor » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:50 am

Hello Withnail fans :)

Well, fuck me, I finally found what I have been searching for http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2779 ... otoaj2.jpg I'll put a full scan on the site on my next update.

I have absolutely no idea why it took 2 years to obtain. One can only assume people who own it like to hold it for sentimental reasons. I recall the original release and although it seemed massively popular in the video shop I worked in maybe it wasn't really and it was a low number release. We all love this film but I fear a nightmare population of gaunt men and skeletal boys has passed it by whilst perusing the fine shelves of video rental shops and retail establishments up and down our country.

One appeared on eBay a few months back and it went for £26. There was no way I'd pay that and my stance was well proven when I checked the winner's past purchases and all he'd bought (100s of items) was Withnail related goods.

Still, I got this for 99p on eBay on a wet Sunday afternoon. Lovely :D

Some nice words strung together... Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't. Indeed.

I was also wondering, did W&I appear with Cannon elsewhere? I've not seen any evidence of that but if you know different please let me know.

Thank you again chaps for your attention.
Tea Shop Proprietor

PostPosted by aleks » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Cannon? What cannon?
aleks

PostPosted by jeff wode » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:52 am

cannon video, the production company!!

do keep up boy!!
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

Re: UK VHS artwork -help needed please

PostPosted by Parkin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 am

Dear Tea-Shop my old boy,..
if only I hadn't been sent to Coventry (by the evil Crooked) then I could have scanned mine for you shortly after your first post. :roll:
I can't remember how much i paid for mine. It's got commercials for other films which is different.
Mine must have come from a video shop called 'O.K. Video' by the looks of the sticker.
Danny's here. Milf Hunter to his friends. Milf Hunter to everybody

one of my fav lines from the film ;-)
Parkin

Re: UK VHS artwork -help needed please

PostPosted by Tea Shop Proprietor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:17 am

Hi, thanks for the thought :)

All sorted now and added to my fansite www.cannon.org.uk/withnail.htm

I would love some good scans/photos of those newly added Cannon Withnail & I USA first releases. If anyone can help with that I'd be very grateful. I'd add a thank you to the site too of course.
Tea Shop Proprietor

Return to The Merchandise