Remaking Withnail and I?

General chat about the film.

Should Withnail and I be remade?

My boys, my boys, my boys. I want to share it with the world!
9%
No, you beastly parasite, it's MINE!
91%

Total votes : 43

Re: Remaking Withnail and I?

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed May 26, 2010 3:11 am

I lol'd!

Hello is Dave there?
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by HE Bates » Wed May 26, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't know, Tennyson. It's a pretty big wood louse, or very small crows.
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

Dave the Mighty Woodlouse

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu May 27, 2010 10:14 am

I blame pollution. It's causing all kinds of genetic mutation.

It did occur to me to ask "crooked" to give Dave the Virtual Woodlouse his own log-in. After all, he probably reads more books and has a more interesting life than some of us (I'm speaking for myself here, obviously).

Bizarre literary fact: I've just started reading Anthony Trollope's Palliser series of novels - that's how packed and exciting my life is - and a large part of the first volume, "Can You Forgive Her?", is set round Uncle Monty's Cottage - Hawkeswater, Shap, Bampton, Penrith, etc. I bet not many people know that.
Tennyson

PostPosted by HE Bates » Fri May 28, 2010 12:58 pm

@Tennyson: fascinating.
...drinking cider, discussing butter
HE Bates

PostPosted by Drugaddled » Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 pm

NO! It could never be bettered, so why bother?
Wasted, yet content to be so.
Drugaddled

Re:

PostPosted by Ellietronic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:47 pm

haveyougotsoup wrote:I,m with the two above,fuck the younger generation.
Chin Chin Soupy' :lol:

I think I'm possibly one of the younger members here if views like this are anything to go by. :wink:

And even I'm in the mindset of 'fuck the younger generation'.

You can't remake something thats perfect.
Ellietronic

PostPosted by ChrisBeaumont » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:55 am

Well hello there. Chris Beaumont here. With Bruce's blessing I actually adapted the screenplay for the stage back in 2000 and my production company, Hanover Productions, staged what was the first ever stage version of this incredible piece of work at the Brighton Festival in that year.
It was something I had thought about doing for sometime and, as it happens, it worked really very well.
I approached Bruce in 1999 and talked to him about the (hopefully) sensitive approach I would have towards his original screenplay and indeed, the actual subject matter which I knew was very dear to his heart. Vivian MacKerrell was a close friend of Bruce's.
I have often wondered about the point if doing an adaptation like this from something that was a huge success in it's own right but felt that a new lease of life could be brought to the piece and that it might actually increase the scope of the audience that might see it. It seems I was right.
We completely sold out over twelve nights and if it wasn't for the fact that the Komedia in Brighton already had productions booked into their space, we could have carried on for much longer, so great was the momentum that started to roll.

We had a few legal issues. Whilst Bruce had granted me permission to do the show it seems he didn't actually have the right to do that as he no longer owned the rights to the piece.
Equator Films, who owned the rights at that time did get in touch with me but not until a couple of days before the opening night (I had invited them to see it as I understood they only owned the rights to the video licence and they might be interested in sponsorship).
Patrick Meehan, the Chairman of Equator let the show go ahead on the understanding that if it was a success, we could do a co-production which could tour and go into the West End.
Needless to say, they loved it and also needless to say - they reneged on the deal and wanted to set up their own production with no input from me and my company. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get to talk to them again and the whole thing fell apart despite the fact that I had The Ambassadors Theatre lined up for a limited West End Run of around 12 weeks.

It was no surprise to me to hear that they were trying to get their own production together with Jude Law and also no surprise that, given Bruce's relationship with them, he had vetoed it (which he is legally entitled to do).

Although he wasn't well at the time of the production and couldn't get to Brighton, Bruce did see a video of our show and was very happy with it both from a production point of view (even though it was very low budget) and also with the casting of all parts. Mark Burgess played Withnail and Richard Felix played Marwood along with a strong supporting cast. This was a fully professional production.

I would love the opportunity to take it further and since I now understand that Mr.Meehan has stepped down from Equator PLC and the company is in different hands I just might make them an offer.

If anyone would like to see photos and information about the show you can find it at
http://www.hanoverproductions.btinterne ... thnail.htm (the site is now old and cranky but the info is there)

Sorry if this information is disappointing to some Withnail devotees but it really was very good.

Thanks
Chris
ChrisBeaumont

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:09 am

I wouldn't mind at all seeing it on the stage! good luck to ya! :thumbup:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 am

Interesting but your link doesn't work.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Actual link is http://www.hanover.productions.btintern ... thnail.htm - there's a dot in it.

A play would be a rather different thing from a film remake, so I imagine there would be a lot less contention about a major production of such than of a new film. Whereas the adaptation to a different medium may be simply just than, an adaptation, doing it again in the same medium is a direct competition, a direct statement that 'this is how I'd have done it differently' by the director. While a novel or a play may spawn several films, or a film may spawn various books, a direct remake in the original form is far more likely to rile fans and cause division. There have been countless different versions of Hamlet, but very few, I believe, would rewrite it as a play for others to perform, and publish it as Hamlet.

Good luck with the play!
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:16 am

Don't forget about Hamlet 2.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by ChrisBeaumont » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Sorry (Chris Beaumont here) - somehow missed the dot in the url.
Go to http://www.hanover.productions.btintern ... thnail.htm as mentioned above.
Thanks
:wine:
ChrisBeaumont

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:20 pm

The stage show looks appealing but sweet baby Jesus! - W&I cannot be re-made as a film. It would end up being American and stupid.

Perhaps, dare i say it, Family Guy could give it a nod. That would be acceptable, but under any other circumstances, no!
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by elliott » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 am

anybody planning a trip up to Monty's cottage soon ? it's changing fast :-(
elliott

PostPosted by Tennyson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Hello Elliott. Welcome to the Forum. There was a plan, a month or so back, for several Forum members to go to Penrith sometime in March to watch W&I at the last movie-show there before the cinema closed. I'm not going but I wonder whether any other Forum-ites are planning to make the trip?
Tennyson

PreviousNext

Return to Withnail and I