Remaking Withnail and I?

General chat about the film.

Should Withnail and I be remade?

My boys, my boys, my boys. I want to share it with the world!
9%
No, you beastly parasite, it's MINE!
91%

Total votes : 43

Remaking Withnail and I?

PostPosted by Withoutnail » Mon May 05, 2008 12:09 pm

'Allo there. Seeing as this is my first post here, I thought I'd start with something contraversial and play devil's advocate. How would you feel about a remake of Withnail and I, perhaps set in contemporary London for a younger audience?

Afterall, many cult films get remakes (and quite frankly they are usually rubbish)... is Withnail and I a timeless classic never to be touched by those who dont appreciate it, or is it something to be shared with the masses?
Withoutnail

PostPosted by McFuck » Mon May 05, 2008 3:34 pm

NEVAH! Any remakes would pale in comparison. W&I is timeless, as evidenced by the variety of ages of our members.

Also, welcome Withoutnail! Very clever name there.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by mayhem » Mon May 05, 2008 4:44 pm

I also vote nay. Why mess with perfection?
mayhem

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 pm

I,m with the two above,fuck the younger generation.
Chin Chin Soupy' :lol:
haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Mon May 05, 2008 6:47 pm

No way. What would be the point? It can't be improved upon. It could only be made worse, or given a different interpretation --- of which there isn't one. The film is as it is.

I wouldn't put it past them, though..
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 am

plus its never going to happen. bruce robinson wouldnt let them stage a theatre production of it, so he isnt going to give a green light to a new film. especially as handmade were so arsey about paying him his dues for the original!
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by wodent » Wed May 07, 2008 3:21 am

1. 1986
2. Bruce Robinson
3. reg
4. Griffiths
5. McGann

dont ever remake this film
nothin down there of interest to you
wodent

PostPosted by mooserevenge » Wed May 07, 2008 4:06 pm

Never!

A younger audience? Now I'm imagining Withnail and Marwood as Lidl-beer drinking chavs.. I'd rather have my eyeballs cut out, thanks.

Withnail & I should not be messed with.
Cool your boots, man...
mooserevenge

PostPosted by Dollwithvoodooproperties » Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 am

the younger audience is happy with the way it is as far as i've seen.

dont take away one of the last signs of a beautifully working human mind!
i'm making time...
Dollwithvoodooproperties

PostPosted by Horrorshow » Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 am

I would sooner handwash Ian Paisley's drawers. While he watched.
Horrorshow

PostPosted by Munchsack » Mon May 12, 2008 11:17 pm

No way. Bruce wouldn't allow it and it shouldn't be done. I wouldn't mind seeing a stage production, however, if Bruce was involved. And Ralph Brown, of course.
Wants to get down there and have sex with those cows
Munchsack

PostPosted by Withoutnail » Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I didnt really expect many to want a remake. I dont myself to be perfectly honest, but I didnt know the production circumstances so didnt know how likely it would have been anyway.

To Munchsack, I'm interested to know why you would be happy with a stage production but not a filmic remake? And no Richard E. Grant, surely he's the stand out performer in the film?
Withoutnail

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 pm

i think the idea of staging it as a stageplay has some merit. as a story, w+i is really just character and dialogue driven, rather than needing an extensive and thus expensive set, a stage version of withnail and i would be relatively simple to put together. and as promotors and theatre owners need to put bums on seats, something with a proven track record and a cult following is always going to fill the place. it also has a very small cast and requires very little staging. after all, you could, at a push, remake withnail for the stage with only a handful of set changes. i recon it might work well on stage. the only downside being the cult following of the original cast. people dont seem so obsessed about quoting (and frequently misquoting) large swathes of the films dialogue to their mates down the pub. yet the same people want to organise public floggings at the mere mention of withnails words being said by anyone other than grant!
but, its not likely to happen, as br is the rightsholder, and he has kicked it into the long grass well and truly. but if it were ever to be brought to the stage (aside from the delicious irony of withnail, the unemployed, and almost unemployable actor being portrayed by an actor on a theatre stage every day, something he never seemed to have managed in his fictional career. i can see the quote now "im a trained actor , reduced to the status of playing a trained actor reduced to the status of a bum"!!) then i would think it worth my while paying to go and see it.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by Munchsack » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 pm

I'd like to see a stage production with one of the original cast to guide the newcomers along, and I get the general idea that Ralph would be the most keen to reprise his role. As well as that, Grant, McGann and Griffiths are very busy these days, although maybe McGann could make time for a stage version. If he's got time between shooting all the Doctor Who episodes he should be doing.
Wants to get down there and have sex with those cows
Munchsack

PostPosted by bad_wolf » Sun May 18, 2008 7:08 pm

In keeping an open mind i think that a remake would be rather interesting, i mean it cant hurt.. we will always have the original. I only really think it would be worth doing if the emphasis was put on different parts of the film, different lines etc. I dont think it should try to be a modern version of the original, but more a fresh interpretation
bad_wolf

Next

Return to Withnail and I