Robinson didn't have an ending for the movie

Talk about Bruce Robinson here.

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:14 pm

crooked wrote:In all my 3 or 4 months of eating game I have only ever found 2 bits of shot.

LOL. Crooked has turned into a country gent.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by withnallstoke » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Anybody found bits of shot in their fish?
withnallstoke

PostPosted by crooked » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:11 pm

The Purveyor wrote:
crooked wrote:In all my 3 or 4 months of eating game I have only ever found 2 bits of shot.

LOL. Crooked has turned into a country gent.

I'm even getting to know the characters in the Archers.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Now't wrong with the Archers. You need working on boy.
Chin Chin Soupy. :wink:
haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by aleks » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:22 pm

withnallstoke wrote:Anybody found bits of shot in their fish?

No, nor women neither
aleks

PostPosted by hair are your aerials » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 pm

..nor women neither :(
"Imagine the size of his balls!...Imagine getting into a fight with the fucker"
hair are your aerials

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Robinson did have an ending for the movie. I've seen it. Thread closed. :wink:
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by hair are your aerials » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:10 am

yawn
"Imagine the size of his balls!...Imagine getting into a fight with the fucker"
hair are your aerials

Re: Robinson didn't have an ending for the movie

PostPosted by juvenal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 pm

To take this back to the 'ending of the movie' topic, why hasn't anyone gone back to the man who made it? In 'Smoking in Bed' Robinson replies to a question about the 'bleakness' of the original ending as follows:

'It was too dark, that's why I dumped it. Originally the Shakespeare scene didn't exist. They part in the park. Withnail goes home, then you cut to the "I" character in a dressing room about to go on for Journey's End. He's got a letter from Withnail which is very optimistic about his life.Then you cut back to Withnail and he's got the shotgun and one of Monty's fifty-three Margaux that he pours down the barrels. 'Chin-chin' and he blows his head off. I was never happy with that, and other people who were involved in the film thought it was over the top. It didn't need it. You know what's happened to Withnail. He's a loser. Then that idea for the Shakespeare speech came up, I stuck it in and it seemed to work'.

Seems the final word to me...
juvenal

Re:

PostPosted by gi'me one in t'knee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:16 pm

aleks wrote:
withnallstoke wrote:Anybody found bits of shot in their fish?

No, nor women neither

This tickled me something fierce! :lol: :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Kilgî yw ev Withnail, arbennîger â-târow nyns yw ev! aaaa!
gi'me one in t'knee

PostPosted by jeff wode » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 am

you can usually tell the house of someone who regularly eats game, by the small collection of shot that settles in the bottom of the toilet pan!! lead when its out of suspension is too heavy to flush!!
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by Making Time » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 pm

What Bruce may have been too wine-sodden to remember was that line in the beginning of the film where Uncle Monty is talking about not playing "The Dane", and Withnail says "That's a part I intend to play, Uncle."

How could the end of the movie have been anything but what it was? He was fulfilling his own foreshadowing prophecy of one day playing Hamlet. He never said it wouldn't be in front of a bunch of caged wolves.

Trying to reconfigure a perfect work of art like W&I is pointless. It is, for whatever various and sundry reasons and flukes of fate, exactly how it should be. If it were polished and Hollywoody and had all sorts of audience manipulation wired in, this forum would not exist. Because the picture would be shite. And it's not shite - it's.... perfect.

Do. Not. Fuck. With. Perfection.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am

I don't think it really counts as playing it in that context. Obviously he's studied it and if not knowing all the play at least knows some soliloquies already, so he's probably said that on his own, or possibly in the company of Marwood at some point before.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Sun May 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Trying to imagine an ending scene where Withnail blows his brains out with a shotgun .... :? ... nope. It just doesn't work.

Will we ever know if such an ending was discussed. That's the only real way to know - if BR changed his mind, was vetoed by O'Brien or just plain forgot. Personally I feel that Withnail and I would have been ruined. And who knows, maybe the feel of the movie would have been altered so much that fans might never have taken to it.

The scene would have been behind a closed door or something. Withnail walks away. Closes the door and 'BANG!' Totally pointless and depressing end :thumbdown:
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by Making Time » Wed May 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Withwine and I wrote:I don't think it really counts as playing it in that context. Obviously he's studied it and if not knowing all the play at least knows some soliloquies already, so he's probably said that on his own, or possibly in the company of Marwood at some point before.

Of course it counts... it's a movie. It's not as if Withnail and Marwood are real people living somewhere, and they "probably said" anything that we haven't been privy to. Whatever shows up on the screen, that we can watch, is what counts for the movie. Withnail said he intended to play Hamlet and then at the end, he plays Hamlet. It's part of the continuity of the story. Of course when he says he intends to play Hamlet, we understand he means to play it on the stage... and the writer and director of the movie makes sure that we see him play Hamlet - sadly, in front of a pack of rain-sodden wolves. It's the denouement. Withnail is going down, and Robinson chose to let us see that emotionally through his Hamlet performance, rather than physically with a shotgun.
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Previous

Return to The Writer/Director