to talk about this incredible film. My history with Withnail and
I began when someone lent me this movie to watch. I expected
it to be another one of those movies which people give you to
watch and you think I suppose I better watch it and force
myself to sit through it.

I watched it on a rainy day on my day off. What a
fantastic film I thought and I gave it back. Then my
Withanil addiction began. I bought the film and
started to watch it again and again and again and again.

Thus posing the question

Why are so many people obsessed with this film ?

It isn't a happy tale really in fact it is a very depressing film.
But it seems to resonate with so many people in their own lives.
I feel like Withanil all the time. Things go wrong for me all
the time and I know what it is like to be out of work.
Four floors up on the Charing Cross Road, and never a job
at the top of them.

I love the character in this film from the snobs in
the Penrith tea rooms to Jake the poacher.

I could go on all day.
I've seen you prancing like a tit !
You want working on boy

Jake The Poacher
swallow_it_and_run_a_mile

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Same here. I rented it then immediately had to buy my own copy (after keeping the rental for a month)

I think there's something wrong with my brain, that's why I get obsessed with something.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

indeed

PostPosted by hair are your aerials » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 pm

Years ago, when i was a teenager I used to enjoy watching films, but never took them seriously until i watched a few comedys and 80's horror, including "The Big Lebowski" and "The Wicker Man". Straight away I was hooked, watching these again and again for months. I will also admit, i had heard of this film when i used to watch videos, but i thought the title was stupid (immaturity ey?) and it had also been released years before i was old enough to view it.

It wasn't until is started collecting DVD's in 1999 that i actually started to absorb films, rather than just watching them....one of which was this jem. Theres no real reason why it hit me so hard, but one i think is that Withnail and Marwood's life was so close to reality of educated people of their age, the closeness to reality made it fantastic. This "slacker" trend still appears today, but at even higher levels, those who exit University etc, with a great education......but get nowhere! I too fall into that list, so perhaps this relation is why we enjoy it so :wink:

I bet if we took a poll, we would find most members here saw this film at university, or of that age, and could also relate to their hapless lives (I'm gonna do that now actually).

Reality comedys are ALWAYS funnier, as are black comedys in my mind. I have always felt that Withnail And I falls into both and will never be surpassed.
"Imagine the size of his balls!...Imagine getting into a fight with the fucker"
hair are your aerials

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:50 pm

You thought the title was stupid? Your name isn't Denis O'Brien by any chance is it?
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by hair are your aerials » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Cool your boots man! I was probbaly 11, never heard of the surname Withnail (as is a little odd in comparison to most surnames) and was too unadulerated to understand. Is that reasoning for you? titimus
hair are your aerials

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:46 pm

That's probably because it's not a real surname, and is taken from Withnall, someone who BR used to know. You very probably already know this, but oh well.

I think I'll call myself Donald Twain. Or I would if this bastard site would let me change my username. Bastards!
Right lads!
Pack your bags
Silage Heap

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm afraid that someone has beaten you to it.

http://www.withnailandiforum.com/profil ... ofile&u=47

Once you do decide what name you want, PM me and I will sort it out for you.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:22 pm

theres a small village near me called withnell
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by hair are your aerials » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Crackerjack m8! you should move
hair are your aerials

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:14 pm

there's a small village near me called Withnell as well. You're not from the Preston area are you??

But anyway, i watched the film when I was about 18 (back in 1995). It has never quite touched me in the same way it did the first time I watched it.. kind of like smoking.

I also had to buy a copy straight away and since then i must have owned 4 or 5 various copies all with different extras on.

I love this film. These days I don't laugh out loud at the humour because i've seen it so many times, but I do kind of slip into a comfy place that appeals to my nerdy side.
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by muskadash » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:05 pm

I saw it when I was 22. I loved the whole film, but two bits in particular made me laugh out loud - Withnail's face when the Irishman walks towards them in the pub, and the bit in the police station when the piss sprays everywhere. The film is full of quotable lines, nearly every line is perfect.
Alright here?
muskadash

PostPosted by blackpearl_phan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:43 am

To be honest, I saw because Paul Mcgann was in it. I love him in Doctor Who (even if the movie was crap) and I wanted to see him in other films. Loved the film and everything about it (except the ending-I wasn't too happy with it, but c'est la vie). Everything was great, acting and dialouge.
blackpearl_phan

PostPosted by wodent » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:36 pm

I can remember the first time I watched it. I believe I was sixteen and had seen it on a 'top 100' program and instantly liked the gruffness of the clips the program had shown. I rented it a week or two later and sat on my bed in my dressing gown on (you guess it) a grey, rainy day. I watched it twice in a row. The first time I didn't really understand it (the point that is, no one in a normal intelligence bracket would fail to follow the plot). The second time around, having made another cup of tea, I actually started to absorb things; the atmosphere, lighting, wording, the closeness of the pair and their sincere attempts at simply staying alive.

Five years later and I have watched it at least one hundred times, probably a fair few more, know the words back to front, know the scenes and all the associated trivia. I know this film inside out, intimately. And It's still difficult to properly put it into words just what it is that really makes me love it just as much as I do. So I wont, I'm happy just knowing its mine and yours.
nothin down there of interest to you
wodent

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Only a hundred times? Why, you're very nearly a Withnail virgin!
Right lads!
Pack your bags
Silage Heap

PostPosted by shagsack » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:38 pm

I saw the film by accident on its original cinema release, a friend and I went to see some other film that was sold-out. We both loved it straight away and bought it when it was eventually released on VHS. I've watched it countless times since and genuinely love this film - how many films can you name that you really do love?
shagsack

Next

Return to Withnail and I