THE EMBALMER SOUNDTRACK

Talk about the DVD and VHS releases, posters and other merchandise related to the film.

Re: THE EMBALMER SOUNDTRACK

PostPosted by mrstorey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:20 am

Pod's Ennui wrote:I'm about to watch it now for the first time in maybe 6 months. I'm not especially shocked by you saying you've seen it so few times. Despite the comments about being obsessive (we were asking for it - LOL!) I'm none too impressed with those who claim to've watched it [insert huge number] times. That doesn't indicate appreciation, only that it's a 'hobby'. And to come to a full appreciation of a great film it needs to be savoured, not gulped, and looked at in the context of both cinema more generally and the themes the film explores (which, by the same token, demands that you broaden your palette as much as possible). 'Coming back' to a film like W & I - as the saying goes - only makes the experience more delicious. OK, I've exhausted the food & drink metaphor. Now to watch the film.

See ya later.

I like your philosophy: the film has 'turned me on' to Al Bowlly, Haig whisky, Charlie Kunz, decent Bordeaux, Schubert, À rebours, cider with ice, etc (some of which have led, in turn, to a whole host of other welcome additions to my life...)

I should "fess up" that I have seen the fim [insert huge number] times - but most of those occasions were concertina-ed into a short period of my misspent youth (weeping in butchers' shops?). These days, I savour each viewing like a Chateau Margaux '53...

Enjoy watching it - I intend to dig out my (new and unwatched) remastered DVD and watch it this weekend.
Last edited by mrstorey on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrstorey

PostPosted by mrstorey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:22 am

Pod's Ennui wrote: Yes indeed. But a 'racket'?!

Sorry, I stole the expression from Basil Fawlty:

SERIES 1 - A TOUCH OF CLASS
[Classical music is playing in the background. Basil is putting up a picture. Sybil walks in.]
Sybil: Don't forget the menu.
Basil: I beg your pardon?
Sybil: Don't forget the menu.
Basil: I thought you said you want— Right! I'll do the menu!
[puts down the picture, walks over to a typewriter and sits down.]
Sybil: You could have had them both done by now if you hadn't spent the whole morning skulking in there listening to that racket.
Basil: Racket? That's Brahms! Brahms' Third Racket!
mrstorey

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:15 am

I was remembering Watery Fowls earlier today too, perhaps it's that new (old) Accurist commercial. I haven't actually watch the film in ages, I just listen to the music every now and again and recite Hamlet to myself.

Is this the new appreciation thing, you have to be beyond having watched it fifty times in the last week, and instead you just have to think about it all the time and not sully the great opus with mere watching?

I can imagine in twenty years it's going to be 'well, I haven't actually watched it since 2013, yes, I know, that's how much of a fan I am, I'm saving it, I'm going to watch it one final time, play the drinking game, and die as the credits roll. Oh, you actually watched it, how terribly common of you... Dirty, dirty young man.'
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:53 am

It appears to be happy hour at Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by mrstorey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:25 am

Withwine and I wrote:I was remembering Watery Fowls earlier today too, perhaps it's that new (old) Accurist commercial. I haven't actually watch the film in ages, I just listen to the music every now and again and recite Hamlet to myself.

Is this the new appreciation thing, you have to be beyond having watched it fifty times in the last week, and instead you just have to think about it all the time and not sully the great opus with mere watching?

I can imagine in twenty years it's going to be 'well, I haven't actually watched it since 2013, yes, I know, that's how much of a fan I am, I'm saving it, I'm going to watch it one final time, play the drinking game, and die as the credits roll. Oh, you actually watched it, how terribly common of you... Dirty, dirty young man.'

Ha ha. Made me smile. (Look - :-) ). Nah, it's nothing to do with preserving the great film in aspic and all to do with the arrival of offspring - free time these days is a whirl of whinging and drool, which doesn't leave much time for settling down with a whisky and watching Withnail.

Alas, these days, I have little more than vintage wine and memories - listening to the soundtrack in the car is about as close to watching the film as I get.

In fact, 2013 seems a perfectly reasonable target for actually carving out two hours for myself to watch a film... Unless, of course, one of you stalwarts fancies a spot of babysitting... *ahem*
mrstorey

PostPosted by mrstorey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 am

crooked wrote:It appears to be happy hour at Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse.

Not sure 'happy' is the mot juste - 'navel* contemplation and note-swapping', perhaps :-)

Not *this* sort of naval - http://www.marriedtothesea.com/072509/the-ocean-is-a-mans-place.gif
mrstorey

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Haha! Beautifully put.
Pod's Ennui

PostPosted by mrstorey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Pod's Ennui wrote:Haha! Beautifully put.

PM sent :-)
mrstorey

PostPosted by Inhumane » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Pod's Ennui wrote:You're right, though: 'Margeaux' and 'Withnail Leaves' are extra tracks:

Someone here must have them! Cough up!

Quite.

Long disappointed with the original soundtrack, I have recently been appreciating your (far superior) compilation - many thanks.

But...

I would also dearly love a copy of these two tracks. I've scoured the internet, probed many a file-sharing network and am now confident I've left no stone unturned.

Surely some kind soul here could see fit to rip 'em both from 'The Embalmer' CD and share them via a popular file-hosting site?

By way of recompense, I'd readily upload a quality 320kbps copy of the 'How to Get Ahead in Advertising' soundtrack (sadly this is not the split-release containing the Withnail tracks mentioned above).
Inhumane

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:27 pm

A kind soul at this very thread sent them on to me. So, share and share alike...
Pod's Ennui

PostPosted by Inhumane » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Pod's Ennui wrote:A kind soul at this very thread sent them on to me. So, share and share alike...

Thanks, they sound excellent.

Hmm. Upon querying the ID tags, it appears that they both originate from the same source - a mysterious 25-track "Withnail & I Complete Soundtrack".

Without wishing to open a can of worms, your original compilation contains 19 tracks. So, with the inclusion of "Marwood Leaves"/"Margeaux" and assuming the track listings are somewhat identical, I'm now left wondering what these other 4 tracks could be. Just 'Embalmer'-style dialogue snippets perhaps?
Inhumane

PostPosted by Pod's Ennui » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Mine adds up to 21 tracks. Perhaps mrstorey can clarify.
Pod's Ennui

PostPosted by montyletmein » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Sorry to be late and lame, but could anyone possibly point me in the direction of finding the Embalmer? Much appreciated!
montyletmein

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:39 pm

No longer available. Travelling Tinker used to produce them, you could try sending him a P.M.
Chin Chin Soupy.
haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by montyletmein » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:47 am

I did. Thanks for replying. What a shame! Sounded great.
montyletmein

PreviousNext

Return to The Merchandise