Your beliefs

A place for discussing news articles, politics and more serious issues.

Re: Your beliefs

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:16 am

Lostat wrote: I find some of their views to be extremely mis-guided, often because they seem to get too caught up in the exact wording of a bible (which, given the number of translations & language changes over the years, is like a game of chinese-whispers) instead of the overall message it has about just being a decent fucking person to others.

exactly! I wonder what Jesus would do if he could see his "church" now.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 am

That's really a fairly easy question. If he does exist and is in heaven watching then he'd do precisely nothing, because that's what's happening.

If he existed as a human leader without magic powers and somehow came back now then he'd try to change things but be ignored and regarded as another crank cult leader.

And if he didn't exist then he'd do nothing.

Personally I was raised an atheist, had a mild diversion to agnosticism based on the idea that I couldn't be 100% certain, and generally divide my swearing/praying between the standard 'Oh God' as it is just a habitual saying, invoking specific deities of dead religions depending on what's happening to me (i.e. if I'm bothered by the weather I will shout at Aeolus or Thor), or my own personal deity who is based on a mushroom hallucination, and is the only one I'm nice to.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

PostPosted by jeff wode » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 pm

there is no god. of any type or strain. gods are an entirely invented creation of humanity. all religion throughout history has been about control. control of the weak willed by the strong willed. or more precisely, control of weak willed men and women, and indoctrination of the young, by strong willed men.
when people try selling their god beliefs to me, i simply as them the one question that they cant answer. 'prove it?'
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by Withwine and I » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:10 pm

I had a fun conversation with a pair of Mormons the other day quoting the book of Moroni.
They found him wandering round Regent's Park with a cheap bottle of sherry...

And like a fool I mixed them and it strangled up my mind, and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time...
Withwine and I

Previous

Return to News and politics, man