Your beliefs

A place for discussing news articles, politics and more serious issues.

Your beliefs

PostPosted by crooked » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm just curious as to whether any of you lot have faith in a god, are agnostic or like me are pretty much atheist. Obviously no one is forced to take part in this discussion and we should all respect everyone else's beliefs and views without mocking them.

I was brought up to be agnostic but have recently shifted my world view to that of atheism. I am not 100% sure that there is no god or supernatural creator of the universe but then again I am not sure that fairies and unicorns don't exist either. I would rank them at around the same level of probability.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

Re: Your beliefs

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:35 pm

crooked wrote:and we should all respect everyone else's beliefs and views without mocking them.

I agree with that, unless someone tries to force their beliefs down my throat, in which case I will launch a vicious and merciless attack on the very foundation of their beliefs, which will leave them with their soul in tatters and doubting their own existence, never mind God's.
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by haveyougotsoup » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Saint Peter preached the epistles to the apostles looking like that.
Chin Chin Pagan Soup. :wink:
haveyougotsoup

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:25 am

I'm a godless heathen, but I do have a buddha in my living room.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Religion is to logic what macdonalds is to health, MAY GOD FUCK THEM BOTH
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:22 pm

What if God was one of us?

...we would be shitting it
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by McFuck » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:32 pm

there is no God.
McFuck

PostPosted by aleks » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 pm

yes there is

(let's keep this debate at a low level and very long please)
aleks

PostPosted by oomska » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:21 pm

which one?
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by aleks » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:28 pm

yes there is
no there isn't
etc
aleks

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:30 am

Quiet, you.
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by McFuck » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:19 am

not
McFuck

PostPosted by mattuk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 pm

beer,chips,beer,sleep,beer
that's my religion :beer:
mattuk

PostPosted by lucyinthesky » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:17 pm

I was raised catholic.

In my opinion that's the quickest way to put someone off religion. Spent most of my childhood terrified of teachers, priests and dying in no particular order! Went to a catholic school til I was 11 then got lucky and passed my 11+ to go to the local grammar school, as did my eldest brother, so we kind of escaped. My other two brothers failed their 11+ so got sent to the catholic secondary school too - not good!

I don't go to church now and haven't done for some years - my children attend for school services only but attend a C of E school, not a catholic one.
A coward you are, Withnail. An expert on bulls you are not.
lucyinthesky

PostPosted by Lostat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm

I was raised christian (church of scotland, presbyterian). My father is a church organist as was my grand-father (on my mother's side). I quickly realised it all seemed like bullshit to me, because many of the beliefs I was being taught didn't seem to be about treating other people with respect. I heard other "christians" trying to justify racism, sexism & homophobia all because the bible apparently said so. I looked up the bible and concluded it actually said fuck-all about it, although it had plenty to say about not judging others and respecting all others.

So, I was then atheist for a bit, eventually, after a lot of reading, felt that paganism worked for me. Although I don't view it as a religion that I follow, as I don't believe in any sort of god(ess) figure heads, either mono or poly theistically. But I do subscribe to its general view of treating other people as you would have them treat you, allowing people to do/say whatever they like so long as it doesn't hurt others (hence things like racism are wrong). When I say "hurt" I mean emotional & mental, as well as physical harm, so things like someone trying to bully others is considered wrong.

So I think I'm both pagan & atheist (philosophy=pagan beliefs, atheist because I'm not "religious" as such).

On a side note, I know some people who are genuine christians, who live their beliefs rather than just treating church-going as a social club, but even so, I find some of their views to be extremely mis-guided, often because they seem to get too caught up in the exact wording of a bible (which, given the number of translations & language changes over the years, is like a game of chinese-whispers) instead of the overall message it has about just being a decent fucking person to others.
"The gene pool could use a little chlorine"
Lostat

Next

Return to News and politics, man