Saving Crow Crag - We Must Work Together

Post your pics and stories of your visits to the various locations from the film.

Saving Crow Crag - We Must Work Together

PostPosted by vigofthedump » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:25 am

Withnail & I fans launch Facebook group to save iconic cottage.

Fans of the cult British film aim to raise £145,000 asking price for Sleddale Hall. Over £9,000 pledged in just two days.

Liverpool, England – 22 January 2009. Over 400 fans of the cult 1987 film, Withnail & I, have joined together on Facebook in an attempt to save the remote Cumbrian farmhouse made famous as “Uncle Monty’s cottage”.

Isolated Sleddale Hall, near Shap, is to be sold at auction by water company United Utilities. It will go under the hammer with Savills (L & P) Ltd on February 16 for a guide price of £145,000.
Sleddale Hall, which has been unoccupied for several decades, sits on the north side of Wet Sleddale valley and is accessible only via a dirt track. It is almost two miles from the nearest public road and a mile from the nearest inhabited house.
Despite its remote surroundings, the cottage – now in a state of considerable disrepair – has been a site of pilgrimage for fans of the film Withnail And I for many years. The film, set in 1969, tells the story of two resting actors leaving their dank London flat for a disastrous holiday in the Lake District.
However, fans of the film are worried that developers will demolish the currently uninhabitable cottage to make way for a modern holiday home.
Within hours of news of the auction being announced, a group was set up on Facebook, the popular social networking site, called “Save Crow Cragg - donate £20 to own a share of the house!” After only three days, over £9,000 has been pledged.
Group founder, Vig Smyth, said: “Sleddale Hall is a piece of movie history and for such an iconic building to be demolished by property developers would be an absolute crime. When I heard that it was to be auctioned off, I knew that I had to act.”
“To be honest, I’ve been absolutely flabbergasted by the response. I set up the group more in desperation than expectation. To have raised £9,000 after just three days is unbelievable. We’ve received messages of support from all over the world. It just goes to show how important Sleddale Hall is to the fans.”
The Facebook group have formed the “Crow Crag Collective”, a trust dedicated to preserving the cottage.
Vig said: “It would be fantastic if we could restore it to its former glory and preserve a little piece of movie history. Perhaps we could have it as a small museum. Whatever is done with it would have to be sensitive to its unique and beautiful surroundings. But what’s most important is that, first and foremost, Sleddale Hall is saved from demolition.
---------------------
“Save Crow Crag - donate £20 to own a share of the house!” can be found at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 326&ref=mf.

The Crow Crag Collective’s website is http://www.savesleddalehall.com.

Email: vig@savesleddalehall.com
vigofthedump

Re: Saving Crow Crag - We Must Work Together

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 am

Please. Everyone. Join.
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by crooked » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:08 am

Can we have a link on the Links and Things page please?

http://www.savesleddalehall.com/#/linksandthings

:)
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by vigofthedump » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:12 am

Done and done - would it be possible to pin this thread? :D
vigofthedump

PostPosted by crooked » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:17 am

I've stickied it until the sale happens.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Trainedactorreduced » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:19 am

Great idea, I have joined, pledged and put the link on our Myspace blog !
Bastard asked me to understudy Constantine in The Seagull !

http://soundcloud.com/cak900
Trainedactorreduced

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:34 pm

I just joined and pledged £20, but I was expecting more info on how and when to pay? Anyone here know how this works?
Right lads!
Pack your bags
And come aboard as we hoist the Black Flag...
Silage Heap

PostPosted by lucyinthesky » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm quite involved with this and am fairly certain that the idea is the pledges are to ascertain wether enough people are actually willing to put up the money in order to make this a viable quest. The legalities of ownership etc are being sorted but my guess is that it will be set up as a charitable trust. Everyone who donates will be a member of the trust but obviously there will have to be treasurers etc. The details are all being sorted out legally but then everyone will find out more.

Did you see the message from Ralph? What a guy! If you didn't.....

"Sleddale Hall has a hugely significant role in the film Withnail and I which I participated in over 20 years ago. It would give me great pleasure to see a consortium of fans purchasing the property and turning it into a proper landmark which people could visit, perhaps a museum, perhaps just a decent bed-and-breakfast. It would be very good to keep it's access public at any rate. I know from personal experience how much this film means to people, and I support all efforts on behalf of Withnail fans to buy Sleddale Hall"

Ralph Brown
January 2009
A coward you are, Withnail. An expert on bulls you are not.
lucyinthesky

PostPosted by lucyinthesky » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 am

Just received an e-mail from Richard E Grant!

He wished us well at the auction and said:

'Uncle Monty's cottage and the people I met there transformed my life and gave me lifelong friendships'.

Best
Richard
lucyinthesky

PostPosted by crooked » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:16 am

Nice.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Its all very well Ralph & Richard wishing us well, but you'd think they could put up a couple of grand themselves towards it if it meant that much to them wouldn't you? I don't know how wealthy Ralph Brown is these days, but I'm pretty sure REG could spare a decent amount, it would help us a lot if he did. Hell, even a pair of blues would be appreciated. Someone get on the case!
Right lads!
Pack your bags
Silage Heap

PostPosted by lucyinthesky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:12 am

A message from Paul McGann today:

"re: Sleddale Hall/Crow Crag

I do hope some collective action can save the place for those that love it. You
might argue that it's perfectly mad that anyone should be sentimental about the
wreck of a building, particularly one they never lived in, and you'd be right. But
if it's agreed that its best prospects involve its restoration to a family house,
you could also argue that the people responsible for Withnail And I's enduring
fame---its fans---are the 'family' best placed to care for it."
lucyinthesky

PostPosted by lucyinthesky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:21 am

Its all very well Ralph & Richard wishing us well, but you'd think they could put up a couple of grand themselves towards it if it meant that much to them wouldn't you? I don't know how wealthy Ralph Brown is these days, but I'm pretty sure REG could spare a decent amount, it would help us a lot if he did. Hell, even a pair of blues would be appreciated. Someone get on the case!

I, for one, am thrilled that Paul, Richard and Ralph have shown their support so publicly and are happy for us to use their quotes in publicity. I think the message from all of them is that they would like to see it owned by the fans. However, that doesn't change the fact that it was a job for all of them, however much we all love the film. It may have been one of the best jobs they have done and one they got great enjoyment and satisfaction from, but it was a job. They can't buy every film set that comes up for sale, they can't invest in every fan initiated crusade that comes along. To have them all onside, for me, means an awful lot. I was the one that messaged all three of them and specifically said that I wasn't asking them for a handout so if you're looking to lay blame for them not donating, then blame me.
lucyinthesky

PostPosted by oomska » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 am

I have mailed the Chris Evans show see below.

Titled;

CROW CRAG, CHEAP TO THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD IT, EXPENSIVE TO THOSE WHO CANT‏

Hello chris,
I wouldnt normally go to these kind of lengths but time is running out, the sun is going down and the sky is beginning to bruise on Bruce Robinsons masterpiece and the most significant piece of movie memorabilia ever.
Chris, mate, Seeing as you are a big fan of the best film of all time, wouldnt it be a fitting tribute to the film and all of its many pilgrims if you were to obtain Crow Crag and keep it as it is, a shrine to every Withnail fan there has ever been and is going to be, once the architects get to work there will be nothing recognisable left as montys gaff. As my mate Gary has explained, Sleddale Hall is now and has always been a shrine and there is more to see than just four walls, fans are travelling from across the globe on a daily basis from as far as New Zealand, Norway and Oldham, we know as we have been there when they turn up and the magic that they feel is real, musicians and poets go to find their neutral space, we have videos to prove it, if this were all to disappear how much pleasure for those and those to be would be lost. We installed a guest book in 2007, the first edition which we have in our possesion, and we are now onto the second edition, many intrigueing funny messages and quotes are left for all to see, we are also very good friends with the locals in Shap also the local farmers who are wonderful people and love seeing all the various thespian types visiting sometimes jokingly charging 10pounds to go through their fields.
Chris, mate, Your reward for you generosity would be everlasting respect from millions of people around the globe,
and complete proof of what a cool guy you are. So please dont let these so called celebrities and perfumed ponces
ruin the theatrical dreams of the Withnail`s, the Marwood`s, the Danny`s, the Monty`s and all the understudys that
make their pilgrimmages in their quality rubber boots up onto that fucking volcano.

Why dont you join us for a night at Crow Crag, no refrigerators, no televisions no phones, just music and fun, OH YES SEE YOU AT THE AUCTION, FOR A PINT AND A CHAT MAYBE!

ps, Chris check out this video filmed in the kitchen of Crow Crag

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4R4h2ysCQPk
.`. `. .

.`.
oomska
Formerly wicksy42

PostPosted by Silage Heap » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:25 pm

lucyinthesky wrote:
I, for one, am thrilled that Paul, Richard and Ralph have shown their support so publicly and are happy for us to use their quotes in publicity. I think the message from all of them is that they would like to see it owned by the fans. However, that doesn't change the fact that it was a job for all of them, however much we all love the film. It may have been one of the best jobs they have done and one they got great enjoyment and satisfaction from, but it was a job. They can't buy every film set that comes up for sale, they can't invest in every fan initiated crusade that comes along. To have them all onside, for me, means an awful lot. I was the one that messaged all three of them and specifically said that I wasn't asking them for a handout so if you're looking to lay blame for them not donating, then blame me.

Well, I wasn't really suggesting they buy the place, just that they could if they chose to contribute any amount to the fund, because to be honest I doubt that theres enough Withnailiens out there to raise up the £145000, and remember thats just the guide price, God knows what spending power Kate Moss will bring with her. Sorry to be pessimistic, but the fact remains that we a miracle and/or serious financial help. The fact that our best hope lies in Chris Evans, the Destroyer of Coats, shows what a dire situation we're in!
Right lads!
Pack your bags
Silage Heap

Next

Return to Locations, see?