REASONS WHY BRUCE IS IRASCIBLE WITH WITHNAIL AND I?

Talk about Bruce Robinson here.

REASONS WHY BRUCE IS IRASCIBLE WITH WITHNAIL AND I?

PostPosted by BERGERAC » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 am

I think Bruce is fed up and exasperated with the great "Withnail an I" due to Handmade Films being extremely tight fisted all those years ago not giving him a penny towards the travelling scenes.I'm referring to the fact he had to fund the travelling scenes from London to Cumbria and back to London again out of his own pocket to a tune of £30k in 1986,today's money more like £55k.
Good old Bruce,(OK maybe not so much of the old) he was a good looking chap in the documentary on the latest 3 disc version of W & I.
If I see that silage heap hanging around up here.....
BERGERAC

Re: REASONS WHY BRUCE IS IRASCIBLE WITH WITHNAIL AND I?

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 pm

nope. i think bruce robinson is heartily sick of withnail and i because its all that people seem to want to talk to him about. aside from the fact that its made him not a penny over the years, i think it must be disheartening to spend the 20 odd years post withnail churning out a series of pretty good films, only to be interviewed for various tv shows and magazines on the release of such films by people who only ever want to ask about one film. ive never seen heard or read an interview with BR that began with "so bruce, tell us about the killing fields of cambodia"
as he said on radio fours excellent reunion prog last year, its become a bit of a colostomy bag hung on him. i bet he's totally fucking fed up of the whole thing by now.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by McFuck » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:15 am

exactly! Here's one serious film about injustice and terrorism in Vietnam and another silly comedy about a bunch of drunks who can't get jobs. It's like going to reunions and everyone wants to talk about the stupid shit you did in school and not about all the hard work you've done since graduation.

on the other hand, he could try and be a little more gracious to his fans. not every first time director ends up with a cult hit film, even if it didn't make money or earn awards at the time.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by crooked » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:32 am

If it wasn't for Withnail, he wouldn't have been given the opportunity to make the other films.
ImageImageImage
crooked
Site Admin

PostPosted by Wrigglesworth » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:12 pm

He looked ill last time I saw him on TV or wherever it was.

Probably be swept away by some vulgar little tumor. Maybe that's what is getting his goat. Always seems like a miserable bugger though. Just that sort of person I suppose
Wrigglesworth

PostPosted by jeff wode » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:29 pm

ive no doubt he is grateful for the opportunities that withnail's success brought him, but come on, its been twenty odd fucking years! id be pissed off if people had so little interest in what i was doing now, and only ever wanted to talk about the very first thing i ever did.
"imagine the size of his balls!"
jeff wode

PostPosted by Making Time » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm

A few months ago, I sent him a packet of photographs of my "Wall-O-Withnail" and he responded by sending me a rare Withnail poster with a personal greeting written on the bottom. I'd commit sensitive crimes in a punt with him any day!

http://wall-o-withnail.blogspot.com/2013/10/withnailabilia.html
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

PostPosted by McFuck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:48 am

Awesome - although he writes like a girl :lol:
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by Making Time » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:31 am

McFuck wrote:Awesome - although he writes like a girl :lol:

With as many cases of wine as he claims to have put away in his day I think it's pretty awesome that he can still hold a pen at all... :lol:
... followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman, who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
Making Time

Return to The Writer/Director