Real life accidental use of withnail quote

General chat about the film.

Real life accidental use of withnail quote

PostPosted by hareherehare » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 am

Hi, everyone, I am just new to the forum. Huge fan of Withnail and I. First saw it in 1991 at university here in Australia. Was hooked from the first time. Moved to London in the mid 90s and found that all my new English mates were all hardcore withnail fans. Many a Sunday afternoon would consist of a boozy lunch and yet another viewing of W and I. Magic. I lived in the states for a bit and had a room mate who despite being an American, totally got Withnail. He got it I think partially because he was an trained actor (not reduced to the status of a bum) and because he had a very British sense of humour (which I also have despite being an Aussie), he grew up on Python and I introduced him to Derek and Clive, so he totally got the whole thing. In my experience it is a rare American who gets W & I.

Anyway my real life experience actually happened to my wife, she is English and needless to say a huge Withnail fan. She especially loves Danny and we often quote the lads on a day to day basis. On of our favourite bits is when Danny is about to leave the flat after Withnail has insulted him post embalmer scene. Danny turns back and says " have either of you got shoes ?", for some reason that line has always been very funny for us and we always do the Danny voice when we do it.

Now it became even more funny for us recently. My wife was in A&E for a broken toe ( I was outside) and in the next cubicle an old drunk who had gone walkabout partially dressed was being attended to. Now his son and daughter in law had brought clothing for him and they were talking to the Nurse who was looking after him who just happened to be English and in inquiring about the articles of clothing they had brought she was heard to say "have either of you got shoes ?". My wife tried everything to stop laughing and failed. So there you go real life accidental W & I quote.
hareherehare

Re: Real life accidental use of withnail quote

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:12 am

Welcome hare! I never hear any accidental quotes, hell, I never hear any intentional quotes, as I live in that america place where no one gets it. Balls.

Hope you'll stick around.
Don't attempt anything without the gloves.
McFuck

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:58 am

hareherehare wrote:...inquiring about the articles of clothing they had brought she was heard to say "have either of you got shoes ?". My wife tried everything to stop laughing and failed. So there you go real life accidental W & I quote.

Joyous!
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor
I guessed the selling price of Sleddale

PostPosted by Parkin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Alright Harehere,.. can totally understand the wife. One of the classic throw-away lines in the film.

So did you serve me a pint?? I was in that Lunnon in the mid 90's :thumbup:
and what are you doing nicking all our british birds !!!! :lol:
Your as bad as Des !!
Danny's here. Milf Hunter to his friends. Milf Hunter to everybody

one of my fav lines from the film ;-)
Parkin

PostPosted by Lostat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:21 am

That's an excellent story, :D thanks for sharing it. Can't say I've got any decent stories about accidental W&I quotes, but I have more than a few about the crazy party-mad aussie flat-mates I had when I lived in Golders Green in London!
"The gene pool could use a little chlorine"
Lostat

PostPosted by Mole » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Great story!!!
I may be sad but I try to slip in withnail quotes as much as I can just for my personal amusement and also to sort of 'check' if somebody else knows the score. The other day I was in a garden centre aquarium thingy to get a couple more fish and there was nobody around to serve me for ages, eventually I found this bloke tending to some fish so I went up to him and said, "excuse me, I wondered if I could purchase a fish off of you???" (Its not quite a pheasant but you get the gist) He just said, "Yeah" :oops: I am now wondering why I just posted this....oh yeah im stoned, sorry!
Give me a Valium, I'm getting the FEAR!
Mole

PostPosted by Parkin » Fri May 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Made me chuckle that Moley ,.. :thumbup:
Danny's here. Milf Hunter to his friends. Milf Hunter to everybody

one of my fav lines from the film ;-)
Parkin

PostPosted by E. Nygma » Fri May 14, 2010 8:38 pm

:lol: I've only ever had incidents with intentional quotes. Well basically me and a friend only ever quote the film. Whenever we open our mouths we're calling each other or someone else a fucker. I've been ill all week and have only been saying my head's gone numb, and I feel like a pig shat in my head. We've both yelled I demand to have some booze. The thing is these weren't even just quoting the film they were fitted into conversations :beer:
Don't threaten me with a dead fish!
E. Nygma

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:56 am

I posted "I've got a bastard behind the eyes" one weekend on my facebook page so now every Monday my boss asks after my bastard. He seemed to think it was quite funny. Maybe I should lend him the film.
McFuck

Withnail quotes

PostPosted by Tennyson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 am

"Bastard behind the eyes" is always on the tip of my tongue, too. I sometimes think I could get through whole weeks of my life using ONLY quotations from this film. (I'm a teacher, though, so it might not be advisable.)
Tennyson

PostPosted by McFuck » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 pm

I have loaned the boss a copy - I will let you know. Maybe he'll show up here one day.
McFuck

PostPosted by The Purveyor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Received this from a good friend the other day:

"I went out for a walk with Jules tonight. Coming back we walked across a field of randy young bulls who began following us. I managed to outvibe them and make it to the other side - you'll be pleased to hear 'I kept my bag up'."
"Will we never be set free?"
The Purveyor

PostPosted by HullThespian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Just finished university. The house I've lived in for the past year or so has a boiler that rarely worked. At least once last winter, when it failed yet again, I said to my housemate that we'd be found dead in here next spring.
HullThespian

PostPosted by anniekey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:10 am

My dad hates Withnail and I, and I quote it all the time anyway, which only makes it more annoying to him :(

Dad: We're leaving in half an hour
Me: Half an hour? I need at least an hour for lunch!

Dad: I think we might have a rat in the kitchen
Me: FORK IT!

And so on...

I'm a terrible daughter really!
These aren't accidents! They're throwing themselves into the road, GLADLY! Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness! THROW YOURSELF INTO THE ROAD DARLING, YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CHANCE!
anniekey

PostPosted by McFuck » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 am

it's your duty as a daughter to annoy your dad. well done. :thumbup:
McFuck

Next

Return to Withnail and I